British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
poolebolton

Berwick, Sheffield and Kent.

1 hour ago, jeffster said:

in 1991, Berwick joined the top division, signing Kelvin Tatum from Coventry, Richard Knight from Kings Lynn and Jimmy Nilsen from Swindon.

The then promoter, a Liverpudlian called Terry, whose surname I cant recall, later served a prison sentence for fraud IIRC.

Oh, that Terry.  From Brookside. Terry Scouser.

Surprised at this news. Only 1 makes sense.

financial suicide for Berwick, Kent have a rigid curfew that often causes cancellations. Plain crazy news.

• Like 1

Anyone would think it's April Fools day  :o

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Islander15 said:

I’m not surprised that Kent are applying to move up. Their an ambitious set up with a very good stadium and relatively big crowds. Their only problem might be finding international riders willing to ride that early on a Monday with the M25 to contend with too. Then cue the complaints about a blue groove track. 

I would think for international riders Kent makes sense. For riders traveling to the UK with their bikes after a weekend on the continent Sittingbourne is only a 50mins drive from the tunnel. For those traveling by air Gatwick & Stansted are only around an hour from the track. 

Kent running in the "Premier" ! Very surprised that Len has gone in that direction. With the reported additioanl costs of running a PL team stated by Matt Ford compared to even those in the Championship, the Kent Kings Promotion must have some gold plated sponsorship lined up.  

Mondays at 6.30pm start time will not see many ex Lakeside supporters make the trek from Essex though the  "Dartford Crossing"  and down the M" in the rush hour to make a 6.30pm  start.

How many working people from outside of the immediate Sittingbourne can get to the track by 6.30 ? They have good support in the National League and a fine stadium for the spectators ... but I just dont see the crowd growing with the current restrictions on start time. Nearest local derbies  Ipswich or Peterborough (100 miles away) so few away supporters are going to make the trek other than on Bank Holidy Mondays , so reliant on "home " support.

Berwick  HO HO ... maybe they will be sponsored by an airline to fly all the riders and spectators to the track. 

Sheffield sounds sensible ... they have long aspired to join the PL and thier Thursday night racing fits with the curent fixed race nights.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Lyndon

Thats it, thank you

11 hours ago, DC2 said:

Oh, that Terry.  From Brookside. Terry Scouser.

No, this guy :

6 minutes ago, hyabb17 said:

5 year deal with Eurosport, perhaps this is the reason Berwick & Kent are rumored to be coming up.

can't see that being the reason unless Eurosport deal gives every Club £100k each in which case Poole would not be moving down.

Kent at 6.30pm on a Monday doesn't sit well with TV scheduling and Berwick are a Saturday track so are they going to risk that to run Monday/Thursday for what would be probably no more than 3-4 k TV money per home meeting?

4 minutes ago, HGould said:

can't see that being the reason unless Eurosport deal gives every Club £100k each in which case Poole would not be moving down.

Kent at 6.30pm on a Monday doesn't sit well with TV scheduling and Berwick are a Saturday track so are they going to risk that to run Monday/Thursday for what would be probably no more than 3-4 k TV money per home meeting?

Poole's fans wanted Wednesday racing,

I guess we will all know after the AGM however I can't see Eurosport signing a deal for British Speedway with only 6 top flight teams. 

2 hours ago, Call me wolfie said:

CVS also said if Poole drop down and no other team comes up, Wolves will not run in a league of 6

Hmmm, I think CVS is trying to change Matt's mind! 'Look Matt at all these teams coming up, you sure you want to take Poole down..' Plus they are known to get on well.

1 minute ago, hyabb17 said:

Poole's fans wanted Wednesday racing,

I guess we will all know after the AGM however I can't see Eurosport signing a deal for British Speedway with only 6 top flight teams. 

There should be 7, I can see the Sheffield one being genuine. 

A six league team would be ridiculous and unworkable, seven has been bad enough. Eight teams should be the minimum going forward. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

A six league team would be ridiculous and unworkable, seven has been bad enough. Eight teams should be the minimum going forward. 

Absolute minimum especially with playoffs.

• Like 1