British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gasser90

Eurosport

37 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

I like all of the current BT team.  Yes, Tatum and Pearson can be a bit shouty at times but better that than the dull level commentary I hear elsewhere. I think that Natalie Quirke and Scott Nicholls add  knowledgeable  pre and post meeting comments and analysis of the races. My only suggestion would be to add a second ex or current rider to the studio presentation who might give alternative opinions. 

I don't watch other sports so have only seen the speedway events Eurosport has shown. I am pleased that there is a 5 year deal, I hope that there is a decent amount of money being paid and other than that, have an open mind and will wait and see the coverage before forming any opinions. 

We all hope the money is decent although perhaps if it isnt quite what everyone would hope for at least having a highlights package on free to ait increases the chances of some proper league sponsorship to top it up

This is a good move for the sport and riders for exposure.

2 hours ago, ray c said:

does that mean we get sam ermolenko as well. I new there had to be a downside :D

Oh no not Sam..........

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Booey boy said:

You get BT free with Virgin

2 hours ago, Baldyman said:

, Get rid of sky get virgin, problem sorted 

You can get sky practically where ever you live but virgin is only available in certain areas,  Virgin have been saying for years they will be expanding there places to view but it seems its a long long wait. 

• Like 4

Plusnet tv is cheap way to get eurosport think this deal with Eurosport will be good, especially the tie up with quest

Eurosport owns a wide range of rights across many sports but generally does not bid for premium priced rights such as those to major football leagues. However, in 2015 it was awarded rights to broadcast the Olympic Games from 2018 for most of Europe and 2022 for the UK and France in a deal worth €1.3 billion (£922 million).[4] It transmits much of the same footage across many markets, using unseen commentators rather than on-screen presenters so that the same visual feed may be broadcast in multiple languages while holding down production costs.

Eurosport has also expanded its deal with The All England Club to show all the Wimbledon matches live in 16 additional countries. It is a 3-year deal that includes exclusive TV and digital rights. This expands their tennis portfolio to show all four Grand Slams.[5]

The network of channels are available in 54 countries, in 20 different languages, providing viewers with European and international sporting events. Eurosport first launched on European satellites on 5 February 1989. In the 1990s, Eurosport timeshared with The Quantum Channel.

In February 2017, Discovery launched the channel in India, branded as DSport. The channel was made available on various platforms in both SD and HD feeds.[6]

so how many meetings will there be it says 18 rounds I presume that is 18 meetings . so if that's the case it will mean the same as last season and 6 of those was taken up by play offs .so how many championship meetings will we get from the 12 left zero I would say . can anyone work it out different than that ?

I think too much is read into who actually provides the coverage and more should be considered about what they actually get to show..

Sky, BT, and Eurosport are not 'Speedway's saviours', they are just TV companies showing the sport..

Their production capability might add weight to the racing or it might not, however..

If the racing isn't up to any great entertainment standard (as we sadly see most weeks in the UK meetings), then it doesn't matter who shows it nor how great their presentation and production skills are..

If what you are watching doesn't maintain your interest, then it doesnt matter if it's 'free to air' or not, and that can never be a positive for the sport. 

In fact it could work very much the other way and disconnect any potential new fans, or ex fans who may think about returning, completely..

Doesn't matter who shows the sport if it doesn't deliver on the track...

• Like 5

1 minute ago, mikebv said:

I think too much is read into who actually provides the coverage and more should be considered about what they actually get to show..

Sky, BT, and Eurosport are not 'Speedway's saviours', they are just TV companies showing the sport..

Their production capability might add weight to the racing or it might not, however..

If the racing isn't up to any great entertainment standard (as we sadly see most weeks in the UK meetings), then it doesn't matter who shows it nor how great their presentation and production skills are..

If what you are watching doesn't maintain your interest, then it doesnt matter if it's 'free to air' or not, and that can never be a positive for the sport. 

In fact it could work very much the other way and disconnect any potential new fans, or ex fans who may think about returning, completely..

Doesn't matter who shows the sport if it doesn't deliver on the track...

Spot on Mike

• Like 2

Eurosport dont pay for the best domestic super bike series in the World, it offers them fantastic coverage and they cover their production costs.

British Speedway is a time filler nothing more nothing less so wont be paying up any money for it.

However clubs and riders should be able to sell to sponsors better as it's at least a long term deal and the audience is potentially bigger if it can tap into the other audiences from the other sports they offer

As I mentioned elsewhere, despite Eurosport being available to far more viewers in the UK than BT Sports the reality is that far more watch BT than Eurosport.. Here are the figures for September from BARB. The numbers relate to what percentage of TV viewers' total viewing in September were watching the service in the month. BBC1 for example gets 20%

Eurosport    0.17%

BT Sport       0.58%

So the likelihood of the viewing figures rising in the UK is small, despite the service now being cheaper to the speedway viewer.

It's only when Quest is counted that the potential for an increase is there. Quest gets 0.91  - despite being on Freeview its lead over BT is not that significant.

Where Eurosport does offer expansion is in the overseas market but when reading the publicity for this deal the key point is to read through the hype. Hopefully we will get increased figures, all 18 meetings live, in full and on the set dates and times. Experience suggests otherwise. 

I was under the impression Eurosport wanted at least 10 teams in the league to warrant a tv deal, the Poole wanting to drop down and the supposed 3 coming up there’s still 1 short, I guess it doesn’t really matter now they have done the deal but I can only see maybe 8 teams max in the prem next season 

24 minutes ago, Gasser90 said:

I was under the impression Eurosport wanted at least 10 teams in the league to warrant a tv deal, the Poole wanting to drop down and the supposed 3 coming up there’s still 1 short, I guess it doesn’t really matter now they have done the deal but I can only see maybe 8 teams max in the prem next season 

Would be 10 as Glasgow have stated they want to move up as well.