British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gasser90

Eurosport

22 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

Would be 10 as Glasgow have stated they want to move up as well.

If that is the case then it may be the reason Berwick has shown interest 

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 1

If there are three more teams next year the points limit might have to be 40!

Eight teams and 42.5 seems about right without stretching the quality of rider.

Look at Ellis Perks. Lauded as a great trier in the PL this year but still managed only a 3.57 PL average despite being 6.4 in the CL.

And this year we had the good sense to require a 3 point minimum achieved average for the PL, so on a 1.6 multiplier that will quite rightly exclude CL riders below 4.8.

There’s no way the likes of Anders Rowe (CL 4.38) should be exposed to the PL yet. He’d lose confidence like Jack Smith last year.

22 hours ago, Baldyman said:

, Get rid of sky get virgin, problem sorted 

I assume I can only get Virgin if my road has been cabled by them? In my case they haven't, and as I live in a village, its highly unlikely they ever will be. I do get BT sport half price as I have BT broadband, but as others have said, its an expensive way to watch the GP's.

Think Glasgow have stated theyd move up if there were more variety of teams and also an incentive

Cant see a financial incentive as the rights are FOC 

Unless they feel they can get more sponsors in using the deal perhaps

I dont think we'll see a title sponsor

1 hour ago, Bunce said:

I assume I can only get Virgin if my road has been cabled by them? In my case they haven't, and as I live in a village, its highly unlikely they ever will be. I do get BT sport half price as I have BT broadband, but as others have said, its an expensive way to watch the GP's.

All I know is I have virgin, and have with it bt sport, eurosport and sky sports, its also got the f1 channel,and the one that shows the Swedish, and all cheaper than sky sports on its own. 

And I think you are right about the road being dug up bit. 

Edited by Baldyman
  • Like 1

On 10/21/2019 at 3:44 PM, hyabb17 said:

Yes they do, spoke with Natalie Quirk after the meeting Thursday. 

I hope Natalie and Gang cover the Eurosport meetings too, because the guy that currently commentates along with Sam Ermolenko is awful.  

20 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

You can get sky practically where ever you live but virgin is only available in certain areas,  Virgin have been saying for years they will be expanding there places to view but it seems its a long long wait. 

Very true. Huge Virgin office half a mile from where I live but no plans to make it available here.

Easier said than done to 'get Virgin'.

1 hour ago, Mimmo said:

I hope Natalie and Gang cover the Eurosport meetings too, because the guy that currently commentates along with Sam Ermolenko is awful.  

Sorry Mike but can’t agree with you at all -Dave Rowe in my opinion is a top commentator, who knows Speedway inside out and never misses anything happening on track and because he uses Kandysoft software is always on top of permutations,qualification etc. I have to say that Nigel Pearson and Kelvin Tatum along with Dave Goddard all do a great job- we only have to think back to Jack Burnicle  to realise that !!!

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Burnicle made a fatal error right from the start. "Hello, it's Jack here!". That presumed firstly that we were all viewers of the other motorcycle sports he covered, and secondly that we were such fans that we didn't need to be told his surname, as if if most give a damn about who the commentator is.

This idea that all speedway fans are fans of all the other motorcycle disciplines, and vice-versa is as ludicrous as assuming that a football fan must be a cricket or basketball fan because all three are played using a ball. 

David Rowe knows his stuff but I feel just needs to relax a little more at the mic. It can get a bit strident at the wrong times sometimes. There's a time to (almost) shout but it needs using carefully or it loses impact. 

On the rare occasions he was allowed to be lead commentator (play-offs on Sky) I found Kelvin Tatum to be by the best. Pearson does his job well, if that's the style you want. Again he knows his stuff and does a great job of reminding viewers just how many British tracks there are and what they were doing, as a clear suggestion that the viewer should go and visit their local track, but the relentless hype can get tiresome, but that's the style that a lot of producers and directors want. Thankfully plenty have more faith in the intelligence of their customers. 

Edited by RobMcCaffery

3 hours ago, Baldyman said:

I want floppy and johnno

I had to read that twice...

Originally I thought you had put that you went floppy in a Johnny :o

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Sorry Mike but can’t agree with you at all -Dave Rowe in my opinion is a top commentator, who knows Speedway inside out and never misses anything happening on track and because he uses Kandysoft software is always on top of permutations,qualification etc. I have to say that Nigel Pearson and Kelvin Tatum along with Dave Goddard all do a great job- we only have to think back to Jack Burnicle  to realise that !!!

An I right in saying that the BBC did sometimes show speedway years ago with Alan Weeks as the commentator? It was in black & white and was pretty terrible!

1 minute ago, Bunce said:

An I right in saying that the BBC did sometimes show speedway years ago with Alan Weeks as the commentator? It was in black & white and was pretty terrible!

Yes you are correct- Alan Weeks was pretty versatile- winter sports, football and Speedway occasionally.

7 minutes ago, Bunce said:

That's right, Bunce. The BBC covered speedway as far back as the glory days of the 1940s at least, albeit via radio then. For many years during the 60s and 70s they just covered one meeting a year - The Internationale at Wimbledon. That was a single film camera effort shown either on the Wednesday or Saturday following and indeed commentated by Alan Weeks, who apart from expertise on ice skating and ice hockey was the BBC's man for the obscure sports like ours. He did give himself away once by describing Terry Betts as "riding for the King's Lynn Linnets". 

Later the Beeb did cover the odd world final but overall their commitment above local radio and regional news level has been minimal.

in the 80s when I was covering Dutch ice hockey the usual question from the organisers was "So, do you know Alan Weeks?" I wish I had - he could have passed on a few tips...

Edited by RobMcCaffery
  • Like 1