British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gasser90

Eurosport

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

That is usually at weekends when they have even more variety of sport to broadcast.  Midweek speedway should be better served in 2020 - except when the Olympics, Para Olympics and Euro Footie championships are on?!

What room is there for speedway then when these three sports will take up most of the summer :D 

Probably revert to Quest or DMax

1 hour ago, noggin said:

Probably revert to Quest or DMax

That is what happened a couple of times when eurosport was busy

• Like 2

Is the Olympics really going to be a problem? 7.30pm here will be 3.30am in Japan so it would only be highlights that possibly could clash

7 minutes ago, The Cheese said:

Is the Olympics really going to be a problem? 7.30pm here will be 3.30am in Japan so it would only be highlights that possibly could clash

Wont make a bit of difference 

On 10/22/2019 at 9:46 PM, RobMcCaffery said:

That's right, Bunce. The BBC covered speedway as far back as the glory days of the 1940s at least, albeit via radio then. For many years during the 60s and 70s they just covered one meeting a year - The Internationale at Wimbledon. That was a single film camera effort shown either on the Wednesday or Saturday following and indeed commentated by Alan Weeks, who apart from expertise on ice skating and ice hockey was the BBC's man for the obscure sports like ours. He did give himself away once by describing Terry Betts as "riding for the King's Lynn Linnets". 

Later the Beeb did cover the odd world final but overall their commitment above local radio and regional news level has been minimal.

in the 80s when I was covering Dutch ice hockey the usual question from the organisers was "So, do you know Alan Weeks?" I wish I had - he could have passed on a few tips...

Thanks for that reply Rob, at least my memory is still working!  I also have memories of waiting for my parents Daily Mirror to fall on to the door mat, so I could grab it and look at the results from the previous nights meetings. I would turn to the sports section, and there in tiny (very tiny) print under "other sports" would be the results, and sometimes  the top scorers if I was lucky. How things have changed over the years with the advent of the Internet, and we still complain!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bunce said:

Thanks for that reply Rob, at least my memory is still working!  I also have memories of waiting for my parents Daily Mirror to fall on to the door mat, so I could grab it and look at the results from the previous nights meetings. I would turn to the sports section, and there in tiny (very tiny) print under "other sports" would be the results, and sometimes  the top scorers if I was lucky. How things have changed over the years with the advent of the Internet, and we still complain!

In the mid-80s I had to compile a weekly speedway news programme. It was hard enough to get scorers from meetings, let alone news. Today...........

7 hours ago, hyabb17 said:

Len silver confirmed the deal is worth £50k per club....lets make it w brilliant league 

I presume that’s 50k for the Premiership club’s only, but obviously that will vary we have 7,8,9 or 10 in the top league.

8 hours ago, hyabb17 said:

Len silver confirmed the deal is worth £50k per club....lets make it w brilliant league 

Is that 50k over 5 years ie £10k per club per season?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Is that 50k over 5 years ie £10k per club per season?

Hmmm .... that’s got the Poole noses twitching. :)

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

Hmmm .... that’s got the Poole noses twitching. :)

Always sticking their noses in :wink:

7 hours ago, Steve0 said:

Always sticking their noses in :wink:

If it is only £10k per club per season. Then MF is right. The bspa have undersold it.

14 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

If it is only £10k per club per season. Then MF is right. The bspa have undersold it.

Do you honestly believe it has ever been sold that cheap? I don't think any Clubs would operate in the top tier with that as their TV income