British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gasser90

Eurosport

1 hour ago, flagrag said:

I presume from that comment that means Saint Media who have previously done UK and SGP coverage don’t want to do it.

I wonder if it’s the usual Eurosport way not wanting to pay the money to get the product to air. I have a feeling that we may be going to see a downgrade product on screen to what we have previously had.

Do hope that I am wrong and that Eurosport are prepared for this and can offer higher quality coverage and not budget basic coverage.

The'higher quality coverage' hasn't exactly done much for the sport in all those years - assuming there were a set of objectives for the sport to improve?! Maybe 'budget basic coverage' may be enough to do no worse than before?

When you say production do you mean company to produce the coverage for Eurosport or OB provider ? If it’s the latter I am not at all surprised as they have such a bad reputation of trying to get OB facilities on the cheap and then being slow to pay the bills.

As I have previously said Eurosport are best to just operating on the basis of taking world feeds and then broadcasting them like they do with Cycling,Tennis and Snooker.

When they are the host broadcaster they have a poor track record a recent Darts event is a prime example outbid BT sport to an event and it went from UHD 9 camera production in 2018 to a 3 camera basic HD with no slo mo as simply wouldn’t pay the required fees in 2019.

Skidder- Do we really want coverage like we had for Skybet a few years ago ? To attract and keep sponsors it needs to look good and be well produced 

Edited by flagrag
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, flagrag said:

When you say production do you mean company to produce the coverage for Eurosport or OB provider ? If it’s the latter I am not at all surprised as they have such a bad reputation of trying to get OB facilities on the cheap and then being slow to pay the bills.

As I have previously said Eurosport are best to just operating on the basis of taking world feeds and then broadcasting them like they do with Cycling,Tennis and Snooker.

When they are the host broadcaster they have a poor track record a recent Darts event is a prime example outbid BT sport to an event and it went from UHD 9 camera production in 2018 to a 3 camera basic HD with no slo mo as simply wouldn’t pay the required fees in 2019.

Skidder- Do we really want coverage like we had for Skybet a few years ago ? To attract and keep sponsors it needs to look good and be well produced 

Bet 365 it was

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flagrag said:

So professionally produced tv is really just about attracting and keeping sponsors?! Not sure what evidence is around for that in recent years? It's good for the Sgbp riders but it doesn't make their demands to clubs any less. It's likely that clubs still have to pay more to riders simply because the riders know there is more money around due to.having a tv deal. What does it do for fans or to improve continuous attendance? Even if the attendance increases for a tv meeting due to a special promotion or reduced price, fans rarely come back in similar numbers. Or have I missed something and crowds are really on the increase all round and the sport is in a healthy state with no worries?

Edited by Skidder1

At this point in time, any money coming into the sport should be spent on the track and stadia facilities, not attracting riders by dangling lots of £’s in front of them. 
Nicki P may still be a top rider and draw a few hundred more crowd, but he won’t be around in 2 or 3 years time but hopefully the track/stadium will.

• Like 1

Then you can consider when he is riding at away tracks , it will bring fans in there too. 

In all fairness, if Nicki Pedersen cannot bring more fans through the gate then I am not quite sure what rider could? 

I do remember the last time he raced in the UK, for Peterborough, and he wasn’t the best but his form all over was dire then. He has had an upturn in form in the leagues abroad since then so it is hard to imagine he would not feature in the top 3 averages come the end of the season. 

Would be a good move all round for Sheffield and would show they mean business. Moving up a league with a triple world champ leading the way would surely put a load on the gate?

Any money IF there actually is any money coming into the sport  needs to be spent on youth development and ensuring that in 5 years time there are at least another 40+ British riders in the championship and premiership combined 

Money coming into the sport SHOULD 100 percent be spent  on tracks,  look around there is not a enough good track men as in can produce a good track week in and out. And give a track riders can race with passing I'm sure that would bring more people back????????

• Like 1

I thought that when the N,L was formed it was to help bring on young riders. But is full of riders that were of that standed and started riding in he 1990"s    

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, flagrag said:

I presume from that comment that means Saint Media who have previously done UK and SGP coverage don’t want to do it.

I wonder if it’s the usual Eurosport way not wanting to pay the money to get the product to air. I have a feeling that we may be going to see a downgrade product on screen to what we have previously had.

Do hope that I am wrong and that Eurosport are prepared for this and can offer higher quality coverage and not budget basic coverage.

To me the new TV deal puts some money into the sport which should help struggling clubs to keep their club running.The sport cannot survive if clubs keep closing so if the TV money keeps their doors open I don't have a problem with watching a lower quality coverage after all its the racing I watch it for and not all the glits that goes with it and perhaps a few less cameras will stop all the switching about where you tend to miss important parts of the race.

Any TV coverage is extra to me  the important thing is to be able to watch live speedway. TV speedway is not a patch on watching the real thing.When I watch a recording of a  meeting I have just been to I am always a little disappointed as it just does not seem to capture what I have just witnessed live.

Edited by B.V 72
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, pitstop84 said:

Money coming into the sport SHOULD 100 percent be spent  on tracks,  look around there is not a enough good track men as in can produce a good track week in and out. And give a track riders can race with passing I'm sure that would bring more people back????????

Totally agree but it will be wasted paying wages of some johnny foreigners tracks will be right down on the scale you know it and I know it.

I personally know 2 or 3 trackmen who put everything into doing the track and it shows because the racing is good week in and out. So it shows put the effort in you will get results and I do believe that's what fans want???

7 minutes ago, pitstop84 said:

I personally know 2 or 3 trackmen who put everything into doing the track and it shows because the racing is good week in and out. So it shows put the effort in you will get results and I do believe that's what fans want???

The reshaping and track effort put in at Swindon confirms this, the racing is better and the crowds up 

25 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

The reshaping and track effort put in at Swindon confirms this, the racing is better and the crowds up 

Swindon have had a tremendous season, that's what have improved the attendance, Peterborough have had a dire season, and it showed at the turnstiles. Somehow promoters have to get the stay away fans and new fans into the stadiums and what better way is there than good TV coverage along with exciting racing, so yes some tracks provide good racing, it needs to be all tracks providing it. I wonder if we had a F1 style start, 2 sets of tapes 1 set 10 metres behind the first, heat leaders start 10 metres back 2nd strings up front. Reserve heats all 4 start at the same tapes. Probably won't work but it is just a thought.

• Like 1