Jump to content
British Speedway Forum

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Reliant Robin said:

Do you honestly believe it has ever been sold that cheap? I don't think any Clubs would operate in the top tier with that as their TV income

So it's £50k per club per season over each of 5 years then? I was only asking. Maybe it was the BT deal done on the cheap?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Skidder1 said:

So it's £50k per club per season over each of 5 years then? I was only asking. Maybe it was the BT deal done on the cheap?!

Logic would suggest so if that is the figure being suggested.

Even if the BT deal was done on the cheap, it would still have provided a lot more than £10k per club per season.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

So it's £50k per club per season over each of 5 years then? I was only asking. Maybe it was the BT deal done on the cheap?!

From what I understand it’s just over 50k per year per club in the top flight, which isn’t a much as Sky which was around 100k but it’s a step in the right direction.

The BT deal was poor financially, it was worth 10-15k a club a year which was not great, especially when attendances were down when the their team was live on tv.

BT had us over a barrel at the time, they rescued the sky deal which was ended earlier and continued the last 2 years. The discussion on an extended deal were easier as we had no rival offers from other tv companies.

This time around the BSPA hired an external company, they had bids and more options which led to the Eurosport deal being chosen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

From what I understand it’s just over 50k per year per club in the top flight, which isn’t a much as Sky which was around 100k but it’s a step in the right direction.

The BT deal was poor financially, it was worth 10-15k a club a year which was not great, especially when attendances were down when the their team was live on tv.

BT had us over a barrel at the time, they rescued the sky deal which was ended earlier and continued the last 2 years. The discussion on an extended deal were easier as we had no rival offers from other tv companies.

This time around the BSPA hired an external company, they had bids and more options which led to the Eurosport deal being chosen.

THE negotiations for a new TV contract were led by Belle Vue promoter Adrian Smith, who will shortly feature in an interview with Speedway Star about how the new deal came about and was concluded.

All sorts of rumours abound, including a staging fee of £10,000, with the rest of the total sum going into a BSPA 'pot' to be distributed.

Who will handle the actual production on behalf of Eurosport (Discovery) has yet to be determined to the best my knowledge although one heavyweight contender has withdrawn

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We know fewer people go to watch a match which is being broadcast live, so does the £10,000 make up for the lost revenue through the gate? Any thoughts, Phillip Rising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

We know fewer people go to watch a match which is being broadcast live, so does the £10,000 make up for the lost revenue through the gate? Any thoughts, Phillip Rising.

I DON'T have an answer to that. Much might depend on the weather on the day. However, I am firmly in favour of British speedway having TV exposure given the number of opportunities it provides for the promoters either individually or more preferably as a unit. Whether they avail themselves of it is a different matter. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

We know fewer people go to watch a match which is being broadcast live, so does the £10,000 make up for the lost revenue through the gate? Any thoughts, Phillip Rising.

If it is £10,000 then it would cover it, I would of thought. 500 paying fans at an average £15 each would be £7,500.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THE negotiations for a new TV contract were led by Belle Vue promoter Adrian Smith, who will shortly feature in an interview with Speedway Star about how the new deal came about and was concluded.

All sorts of rumours abound, including a staging fee of £10,000, with the rest of the total sum going into a BSPA 'pot' to be distributed.

Who will handle the actual production on behalf of Eurosport (Discovery) has yet to be determined to the best my knowledge although one heavyweight contender has withdrawn

When will this article be in the star Phil?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

I DON'T have an answer to that. Much might depend on the weather on the day. However, I am firmly in favour of British speedway having TV exposure given the number of opportunities it provides for the promoters either individually or more preferably as a unit. Whether they avail themselves of it is a different matter. 

Thanks. I take your point about the weather. And I think some sponsors are there because of the TV exposure. Depends what you are selling, of course, and for others it could be to promote the brand image. 

As you say, TV coverage will give promoters an opportunities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

When will this article be in the star Phil?

 

SOON ... probably next week (I'll have to ask the Editor!)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

SOON ... probably next week (I'll have to ask the Editor!)

 

Blimey, that’s going to be a bumper issue with all the great ideas due to come out of the AGM this week!

Hold onto your horses everyone.  :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, DC2 said:

 

Blim, that’s going to be a bumper issue with all the great ideas due to come out of the AGM this week!

Hold onto your horses everyone.  :)

 

do you think this is the last chance agm again :party::party:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ray c said:

do you think this is the last chance agm again :party::party:

 

No, but I think it could be the start of a “five year plan”!  :)

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THE negotiations for a new TV contract were led by Belle Vue promoter Adrian Smith, who will shortly feature in an interview with Speedway Star about how the new deal came about and was concluded.

All sorts of rumours abound, including a staging fee of £10,000, with the rest of the total sum going into a BSPA 'pot' to be distributed.

Who will handle the actual production on behalf of Eurosport (Discovery) has yet to be determined to the best my knowledge although one heavyweight contender has withdrawn

I presume from that comment that means Saint Media who have previously done UK and SGP coverage don’t want to do it.

I wonder if it’s the usual Eurosport way not wanting to pay the money to get the product to air. I have a feeling that we may be going to see a downgrade product on screen to what we have previously had.

Do hope that I am wrong and that Eurosport are prepared for this and can offer higher quality coverage and not budget basic coverage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, flagrag said:

I presume from that comment that means Saint Media who have previously done UK and SGP coverage don’t want to do it.

I wonder if it’s the usual Eurosport way not wanting to pay the money to get the product to air. I have a feeling that we may be going to see a downgrade product on screen to what we have previously had.

Do hope that I am wrong and that Eurosport are prepared for this and can offer higher quality coverage and not budget basic coverage.

YOU presume wrong ... but the company that pulled out cited a lack of resources (money)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy