British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, Greg said:

surely would be with the Witches ? 

Not if this season’s minimum average applies.

3 hours ago, Moranboys said:

glass only i believe

Bah. Always been my viewing location of choice (well, until I stopped attending entirely). Biggest problem with Owlerton is lack of elevation (certainly if you want to be outside rather than behind glass).

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

Not if this season’s minimum average applies.

The reg was that the rider at some point had to have achieved an average in excess of 4.50 in the Championship not that they had to be above that when signing. The PL min was then 3 even if the conversion put the rider below that

Drew did that and therefore would qualify if he and a club thought it right (assuming the regs are not changed)

2 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

The reg was that the rider at some point had to have achieved an average in excess of 4.50 in the Championship not that they had to be above that when signing. The PL min was then 3 even if the conversion put the rider below that

Drew did that and therefore would qualify if he and a club thought it right (assuming the regs are not changed)

Good point, thanks.

Yes, Drew achieved a CL average above 5 early in the season so I guess he could now come in on the 3 minimum.

23 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

How could his average have been a points liability when he came in on a 2!!

The fact it went immediately to nearly 5 just meant down to him Sheffield could effectively build the rest of the team to be 3 points over the limit

Without him on a 2 the team overall wouldve been weaker and other riders brought in wouldn't have been accommodated. His 'reward' for those others still not being able to out strip his performances in the 1-5 despite them being at reserve was to be dropped instead of them

Yes a victim of the points limit system but there were other choices and IMO he should remember that should Sheffield make him an offer

Quite simple really: the dramatic uplift in his points average meant that almost as soon as the season started he went into the main body of the team, riding mainly at no. 2. In this position he was clearly out of his depth, picking up far too many fourth places and wrecking his confidence. Had the lad stayed at reserve I would predict he would have come much closer to maintaining his ridiculously overblown 4+ average. A classic case of a talented young rider being the victim of his own success. 

Nevertheless the promotion stuck with him and I don't think they can be accused of not giving the youngster a fair crack of the whip. Only when the position became dire and the team were struggling for a couple of match wins at the end of the season in the vain hope of reaching the top four did they dispense with his services. Even then I'm led to believe the parting was on the very best of terms.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

Bah. Always been my viewing location of choice (well, until I stopped attending entirely). Biggest problem with Owlerton is lack of elevation (certainly if you want to be outside rather than behind glass).

theres only the home straight with low elevation.3rd/4th bend is best view IMO, great view of all the track and enough elevation. 

• Like 1

just a thought.will the greyhounds still be running on a thursday afternoon? if this is still the case won't this be a problem again as it affected the speedway this year with queues of people waiting to gain admission only to be held up or will the start time have to be changed?

Honest question - Can Sheffield also run on Mondays for TV meetings? Assuming of course that Mondays are the chosen day for Eurosport?!

5 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Honest question - Can Sheffield also run on Mondays for TV meetings? Assuming of course that Mondays are the chosen day for Eurosport?!

They have ridden at Owlerton on Monday's in the past.

1 hour ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

Think its very likely there will be at least 3 Poole riders from 2019 in next years Sheffield team.

Really?

2 hours ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

Think its very likely there will be at least 3 Poole riders from 2019 in next years Sheffield team.

Let’s hope it’s not Wells, THJ and Jack Holder, otherwise, it might be another 30 years before we see Sheffield again! 

Vaculik

Grajczonek

Wright

Howarth

Allen

Douglas

Kennedy

Might not be the best on paper, but would be bloody entertaining to watch.

Top 3 of both holders and josh g. 

Add howarth and nicol and then fit in 2 others with what's left  

Bellego and berge maybe