British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, martinmauger said:

"I thought the distance quoted was 35 miles where a promotion can claim 'protection of interests' and object to another club  (full stop and not just sharing a race night) "

Personally I thought it as 30 miles, either way reckon Belle Vue would welcome the local derbies....

I'm sure Belle Vue will welcome local derbies, there are 35.5 miles between the two stadiums when driving.

3 hours ago, martinmauger said:

"I thought the distance quoted was 35 miles where a promotion can claim 'protection of interests' and object to another club  (full stop and not just sharing a race night) "

Personally I thought it as 30 miles, either way reckon Belle Vue would welcome the local derbies....

Could depend also whether who ever made the decision went to the Ian Thomas/John Berry school of measurement :)

I thought  the ruling was new speedway tracks couldn`t open up within a certain distance.  didn`t know 

it was to do with them running on the same night together.  Halifax and Belle Vue are roughly 40 miles

apart and both raced on Saturday

Edited by Dornier fixer

2 hours ago, Dornier fixer said:

I thought  the ruling was new speedway tracks couldn`t open up within a certain distance.  didn`t know 

it was to do with them running on the same night together.  Halifax and Belle Vue are roughly 40 miles

But that was when speedway had loads of supporters

2 hours ago, The Third Man said:

But that was when speedway had loads of supporters

Oh right silly me !   Its my age

Edited by Dornier fixer

9 hours ago, Call me wolfie said:

No there isn't, this year Kings Lynn and Ipswich had home meetings on the same night, as did Poole and Swimdon

Both of those are not close, not like BV and Sheffield.

5 hours ago, Dornier fixer said:

Halifax 40 miles from BV not a chance 25 to 30 at best.

Edit: just Google mapped it 38 miles, so my apologies :)

Edited by SUPERACE
  • Like 2

According to Google, Shay stadium to Hyde Rd is 38.4 miles (using motorways)

Edited by bendover
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, bendover said:

According to Google, Shay stadium to Hyde Rd is 38.4 miles (using motorways)

According to RAC route planner  its 39 point summat. I looked it up before posting it

Those were the days      Mary Hopkin

Edited by Dornier fixer
  • Haha 1

Does anything happen on the centre green at Owlerton?

The Sheffield track always strikes me as ridiculously narrow especially given how fast it is.

It needs widening to bring it into line with Belle Vue and nearly all European tracks.

1 hour ago, keepturningleft said:

The Sheffield track always strikes me as ridiculously narrow especially given how fast it is.

It needs widening to bring it into line with Belle Vue and nearly all European tracks.

Agree with this.

It's a multi use facility so I'd be pretty certain that the centre green is used for something although I wouldn't know what. Perhaps someone with a little more knowledge could answer.

You are right about the track though, it's something I've been arguing for a long time. It needs some banking and the track widening throughout.

4 hours ago, geoff100 said:

In the good old days how close were Stoke and Crewe?

NSS to Loomer Rd 45.9 via the M6,  Owlerton to Loomer Rd 49.6.  Owlerton to Earle Street 70.8, NSS to Earle Street 40.3

1 hour ago, keepturningleft said:

Has been used for rugby league but the team were not keen as the pitch too narrow. Sheffield Eagles now have a different stadium to use so unlikely to go back. 

Believe it was once used by the local American football team and Sheffield FC football team. Not sure what they are doing now. 

Was regularly used by stock car drivers, despite being told regularly not to do so.

I seem to recall that Neil Machin once wanted to cut in to the centre green to make the track wider, but was refused permission by stadium owners. Perhaps someone could confirm or deny this?