British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, keepturningleft said:

Does anything happen on the centre green at Owlerton?

greyhound toilet from what i remember!

agree about the track though, made wider could get it back to being one of the best

15 minutes ago, keepturningleft said:

I'm sure I remember something from years ago which concluded that Owlerton didn't meet requirements to hold international meetings because of the narrowness of the track.

Indeed, if you noted a post from RS50 on page 7. He alludes to Neil Machin being refused permission by the stadium owners to cut into the centre green. Although I always thought it was Neil Machin who refused to alter the track citing its uniqueness...

4 hours ago, RS50 said:

Has been used for rugby league but the team were not keen as the pitch too narrow. Sheffield Eagles now have a different stadium to use so unlikely to go back. 

Believe it was once used by the local American football team and Sheffield FC football team. Not sure what they are doing now. 

Was regularly used by stock car drivers, despite being told regularly not to do so.

I seem to recall that Neil Machin once wanted to cut in to the centre green to make the track wider, but was refused permission by stadium owners. Perhaps someone could confirm or deny this?

Sheffield F.C have been playing at the Coach and Horses pub in Dronfield for nearly 20 years.

• Like 2

Can remember Test Matches in 60s, 70s and 80s. Under Neil Machins rein at Owlerton there was a World Team Cup meeting, A World under 21 and within last few years a Test Match between  England and Australia.  Make the Track wider makes it smaller. Cant move the dog track over.

I agree, can only assume at one point during his tenure regulations were changed.

:t:

7 hours ago, Col said:

NSS to Loomer Rd 45.9 via the M6,  Owlerton to Loomer Rd 49.6.  Owlerton to Earle Street 70.8, NSS to Earle Street 40.3

Lol i ment how close were stoke and crewe together 

1 hour ago, geoff100 said:

Lol i ment how close were stoke and crewe together 

12 miles. Crewe, then under the promotion of Len Silver, were obviously not happy about Stoke opening in 1973. It wasn't many years before they folded. 

It wasn't as close as Cradley and Wolves - 9 miles, or White City-Wimbledon, 8 miles, or West Ham - Hackney, 5 miles.

11 hours ago, bendover said:

Indeed, if you noted a post from RS50 on page 7. He alludes to Neil Machin being refused permission by the stadium owners to cut into the centre green. Although I always thought it was Neil Machin who refused to alter the track citing its uniqueness...

Hi, I could be wrong about Machin wanting to cut in to centre green. Heard something a long time ago, memory could be playing tricks.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

It wasn't as close as Cradley and Wolves - 9 miles, or White City-Wimbledon, 8 miles, or West Ham - Hackney, 5 miles.

I doubt it is 9 miles from Dudley Wood to Monmore, just seems allot longer because there isn't a decent road between them and would probably take half an hour or more.

4 hours ago, Col said:

I doubt it is 9 miles from Dudley Wood to Monmore, just seems allot longer because there isn't a decent road between them and would probably take half an hour or more.

Source:  Google Maps. They tend to be pretty accurate.

Typical BSF - state a fact from a reliable source and still have to fend them off. Anyway geoff100 - I tried to help. More fool me. 

On 10/30/2019 at 6:53 PM, KingIvan said:

Can remember Test Matches in 60s, 70s and 80s. Under Neil Machins rein at Owlerton there was a World Team Cup meeting, A World under 21 and within last few years a Test Match between  England and Australia.  Make the Track wider makes it smaller. Cant move the dog track over.

Was it a World Cup meeting when Mark Loram tangled up with the air fence when they had it on the home straight, ? I remember it being on  Sky on a Sunday afternoon 

Not a airfence,as there wasn't one in place at the time.It was the WTC round and it rained and instead of stopping the meeting they carried on and Mark crashed due to poor vision.

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Not a airfence,as there wasn't one in place at the time.It was the WTC round and it rained and instead of stopping the meeting they carried on and Mark crashed due to poor vision.

Pretty sure it was an airfence round the entire track.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, squall said:

Pretty sure it was an airfence round the entire track.

That's my recollection of it , the idea of the air fences on the straights didn't last long