British Speedway Forum

On 2/28/2020 at 11:40 AM, foreverblue said:

I thought he lived in Stevenage. Maybe that is just his base during the season.

He moved out of the UK a few years ago.

On 1/23/2020 at 10:41 PM, Charlieboy said:

Thoroughly enjoyed the evening with Nicki Pedersen comes across as a nice bloke off track. I think everybody there can’t wait for the season to start now. Told some good stories and said he can’t wait to get started. Well done Nicki and thanks for giving your time up to come across from Denmark to meet the fans. 

Spoke to Nicki a few times while he was at Oxford and a couple of times since. He is a nice friendly guy. When he gets in the pits he's in work mode. In his line of work winning is the business. Yes he's taken a few riders out but he has also been on the receiving end many a time. As for the time the Goldenboy Mr Hancock launched himself at NP in Sweden . GH  should've been banned for a few matches

1 hour ago, Triple.H. said:

Spoke to Nicki a few times while he was at Oxford and a couple of times since. He is a nice friendly guy. When he gets in the pits he's in work mode. In his line of work winning is the business. Yes he's taken a few riders out but he has also been on the receiving end many a time. As for the time the Goldenboy Mr Hancock launched himself at NP in Sweden . GH  should've been banned for a few matches

How many times has NP been banned for his dangerous riding? 

I’d say Greg got exactly what NP has over the years. Precisely nothing. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stevebrum said:

How many times has NP been banned for his dangerous riding? 

I’d say Greg got exactly what NP has over the years. Precisely nothing. 

At least NP has never been booted out of a GP for race fixing.

Niki is no worse than a number of riders and it’s the snowflake brigade that have given him a bad press. I’ll admit there have been occasions where he stepped over the line, but many riders are guilty of that.

I was watching some old speedway clips on YouTube last night, started off in the 70s with some world finals etc and ended up on a heat from the 2015 Toruń GP, just popped up in my recommendation feed.

If anyone recalls that particular race, which included Kasprazak, you’ll know exactly where I’m coming from. He did absolutely nothing wrong and was excluded. Those situations in the past impact peoples judgments today but many many riders have been just as guilty of some tough moves but not a peep gets said.

Here is another unpopular opinion. A man who gets away with moves very similar to NP, and that man is Jason Doyle. And when I say gets away, I don’t infer that he’s doing anything wrong JD is just a tough rider, but when he pulls off the moves he does not a word can be heard.

Those 2 have a lot of respect for each other and I don’t think it’s a coincidence, but one is treated differently to the other.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, acef said:

Niki is no worse than a number of riders and it’s the snowflake brigade that have given him a bad press. I’ll admit there have been occasions where he stepped over the line, but many riders are guilty of that.

I was watching some old speedway clips on YouTube last night, started off in the 70s with some world finals etc and ended up on a heat from the 2015 Toruń GP, just popped up in my recommendation feed.

If anyone recalls that particular race, which included Kasprazak, you’ll know exactly where I’m coming from. He did absolutely nothing wrong and was excluded. Those situations in the past impact peoples judgments today but many many riders have been just as guilty of some tough moves but not a peep gets said.

Here is another unpopular opinion. A man who gets away with moves very similar to NP, and that man is Jason Doyle. And when I say gets away, I don’t infer that he’s doing anything wrong JD is just a tough rider, but when he pulls off the moves he does not a word can be heard.

Those 2 have a lot of respect for each other and I don’t think it’s a coincidence, but one is treated differently to the other.

Neither of them are riders I like to watch because of their robust styles( their combined injuries in some respects reflect this ) I accept that they are  victims of their own reputations but things have a habit of evening out most of the time  .

27 minutes ago, FAST GATER said:

Neither of them are riders I like to watch because of their robust styles( their combined injuries in some respects reflect this ) I accept that they are  victims of their own reputations but things have a habit of evening out most of the time  .

Whilst watching those videos I mentioned last night, I went through the 80s and 90s as well, man some of those moves! Especially in the GPS in the mid to late 90s. 

Some of the riders today wouldn’t have lasted a second. They’d have been throwing toys out all over the shop.

4 hours ago, JCookie said:

At least NP has never been booted out of a GP for race fixing.

But rightfully excluded for many a shocking and deliberate move. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, acef said:

JD a tough rider, give him half a space he’s going to be ruthless - no different to lindgren, zmarzlik and most of the other riders fighting for world championship at the sharp end, crump, gollob were always ruthless racers as were many other world champions including Nicki - where Nicki has differed over the years is consistently is taking it one stage further and rather than just racing hard deliberately riding the man into the fence, he’s also guilty of laying on people taking the fall and conning the ref countless times throughout his career - I agree with you Nicki can be treated harshly at times as a result of his reputation but frankly he has himself to blame imo

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Having seen Nicki at Eastbourne for 4 seasons I think the main thing I noticed is if he is an inch in front it's up to the other riders to back off or fall off, agree harsh and no prisoners taken. The times at Arlington I saw Peter Karlsson and believe it or not even Leigh Adams and the like do the same and the times I saw Nicki take the decision to back off a foot ,survive not going into the fence and still come back at them in the race, quite often winning it. Hard mindset but it's always been the way with him. By the way a lot of Nicki staying or going is the way he's accepted by the home fans. He loved it at Eastbourne , could have probably got a better deal elsewhere, but the fans loved him and he was there 4 seasons at his peak. 

36 minutes ago, 89buttons said:

JD a tough rider, give him half a space he’s going to be ruthless - no different to lindgren, zmarzlik and most of the other riders fighting for world championship at the sharp end, crump, gollob were always ruthless racers as were many other world champions including Nicki - where Nicki has differed over the years is consistently is taking it one stage further and rather than just racing hard deliberately riding the man into the fence, he’s also guilty of laying on people taking the fall and conning the ref countless times throughout his career - I agree with you Nicki can be treated harshly at times as a result of his reputation but frankly he has himself to blame imo

Sorry, but I disagree entirely.

1 or 2 isolated incidents have tarnished his reputation. That hasn’t happened to other riders when they have done similar.

Imo it smacks of double standards and most likely jealousy from those within for a man who is, let’s not forget, triple world champion.

12 minutes ago, gazzac said:

Having seen Nicki at Eastbourne for 4 seasons I think the main thing I noticed is if he is an inch in front it's up to the other riders to back off or fall off, agree harsh and no prisoners taken. The times at Arlington I saw Peter Karlsson and believe it or not even Leigh Adams and the like do the same and the times I saw Nicki take the decision to back off a foot ,survive not going into the fence and still come back at them in the race, quite often winning it. Hard mindset but it's always been the way with him. By the way a lot of Nicki staying or going is the way he's accepted by the home fans. He loved it at Eastbourne , could have probably got a better deal elsewhere, but the fans loved him and he was there 4 seasons at his peak. 

Niki is just a tough rider. 

We live in a society today where everyone has to have a scapegoat. A victim. Someone to blame. Someone to slag off.

Those people lack the ability to be objective.

Nicki pedersen is no worse than Lindgren. Lindgren is a rider who has gone under the radar for years despite being reckless. 

no doubt his pathetic love song video will make people think differently :rofl:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, acef said:

Sorry, but I disagree entirely.

1 or 2 isolated incidents have tarnished his reputation. That hasn’t happened to other riders when they have done similar.

Imo it smacks of double standards and most likely jealousy from those within for a man who is, let’s not forget, triple world champion.

This must be one of those isolated incidents, took 2 seconds to find on YouTube, simply by searching for “Nicki pedersen speedway” no mention of crashes/incidents in the search yet 10 of the top 12 hits are of crashes and incidents - there’s a correlation there and denying it is just blind, he has a reputation for a reason.

I’m no Nicki hater but imo he crosses the line and I’m sure if you asked his peers they’d agree

• Thanks 1