British Speedway Forum

7 hours ago, ScunnyDan said:

and the 4 meetings held at Scunny

And the 2 meetings ar Plymouth 

• Like 1

To be fair I’m not opposed to Josh Bates being on the list. I only said the other day that I believe the ‘rising star’ list shouldn’t have grades/averages and should purely be capped to a maximum age (which I suggested at 25) and a maximum average - both of which would make Josh eligible. 

The difference between me and the BSPL is I wouldn’t of hid my criteria, simple, straight forward and not just produced a list that suits some and doesn’t suit others.

• Like 2

WWE has more sporting credibility than speedway when it comes to situations like this.....;)

Josh Bates as a 4* rising star is an absolute steel for Sheffield.

I would have thought it would have been restricted to riders with limited experience.... seems promoters are still looking after themselves once more instead of looking after the Sport as a whole.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Gunner85 said:

I would have thought it would have been restricted to riders with limited experience.... seems promoters are still looking after themselves once more instead of looking after the Sport as a whole.

So it's obvious Bates will get a place over a real rising star.Bates is at his level imo and it looks like a rider who may have bigger ambitions than Bates may miss out.I thought the rising star position was meant to be there to give our youngsters the experience of riding at a higher level and learning from better riders.

Edit: Wouldn't be surprised to see Bacon at Peterborough also taking a place of a talented youngster.He's 28

Edited by tellboy
  • Like 5

Totally agree with all of your post.

37 minutes ago, tellboy said:

So it's obvious Bates will get a place over a real rising star.Bates is at his level imo and it looks like a rider who may have bigger ambitions than Bates may miss out.I thought the rising star position was meant to be there to give our youngsters the experience of riding at a higher level and learning from better riders.

Edit: Wouldn't be surprised to see Bacon at Peterborough also taking a place of a talented youngster.He's 28

Who are the riders, who at least near EL standard, who are missing out?

9 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

I accept there is an argument that there are riders in the list who would struggle in the Premiership but personally I would rather the spots were for under 21’s who might find it tough initially but could improve quickly if given the chance. We pretty much know that the older riders on the list won’t reach international standard but we don’t know that of the younger ones and this idea might push them on along with experience abroad. The Poles employ two juniors at the bottom end of their teams and while some sink many swim and become good enough to mix it with the best, we need to be doing the same because what we have been doing for many years hasn’t worked. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gunner85 said:

As Cilla would have said....

"Surprise Surprise!".....:D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Third Man said:

I think you're missing the point - the rising stars arent necessarily meant to be at EL (sic) level as yet where as Bates certainly in the scheme of the 2021 set up is

He should have a place in the top league on merit but not as a rising star

• Like 5

1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I think you're missing the point - the rising stars arent necessarily meant to be at EL (sic) level as yet where as Bates certainly in the scheme of the 2021 set up is

He should have a place in the top league on merit but not as a rising star

But if they aren't near the standard how are they are going to improve, riding around half a lap behind the others getting the odd point when other riders don't finish is not going to help them, more likely knock their confidence completely, and earn no money 

18 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

But if they aren't near the standard how are they are going to improve, riding around half a lap behind the others getting the odd point when other riders don't finish is not going to help them, more likely knock their confidence completely, and earn no money 

Because they would be having rides against each other and also against the likes of Josh who should be in the 2 or 6 positions as well as getting a go at those at the next level up again

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I accept there is an argument that there are riders in the list who would struggle in the Premiership but personally I would rather the spots were for under 21’s who might find it tough initially but could improve quickly if given the chance. We pretty much know that the older riders on the list won’t reach international standard but we don’t know that of the younger ones and this idea might push them on along with experience abroad. The Poles employ two juniors at the bottom end of their teams and while some sink many swim and become good enough to mix it with the best, we need to be doing the same because what we have been doing for many years hasn’t worked. 

The difference being that Poland clubs take an interest in the development of the riders that will fill the junior positions much earlier. They help them along with team places in the lower divisions, make them feel part of the club and have an active role in their development. Barring the twins who else has received that level of assistance in the UK over the past 10 years? Many promotors won't know who half the riders are on the list and yet we will soon be reading all the press releases about how they cannot wait to help continue their development.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

The difference being that Poland clubs take an interest in the development of the riders that will fill the junior positions much earlier. They help them along with team places in the lower divisions, make them feel part of the club and have an active role in their development. Barring the twins who else has received that level of assistance in the UK over the past 10 years? Many promotors won't know who half the riders are on the list and yet we will soon be reading all the press releases about how they cannot wait to help continue their development.

Don’t disagree with that but we need to start somewhere. 

Holder & Batchelor as top 2 & Bates as a No7. Without injuries the rest of the league may as well not bother

• Haha 1