British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

The first race you saw

The first speedway race I saw - at New Cross, Wednesday, April 17, 1946: Ht1 Ron Johnson, Phil Bishop, Ron Clarke, Jack Parker (ef) 61 seconds.

When was the first race you saw?

Edited by Guest

So, you got in on time to the oft mentioned first meeting you ever attended, which also has a thread or two devoted to it !!! Nice

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, gustix said:

The first speedway race I saw - at New Cross, Wednesday, April 17, 1946: Ht1 Ron Johnson, Phil Bishop, Ron Clarke, Jack Parker (ef) 61 seconds.

When was the first race you saw?

But what size was the track?

Thursday April 13th 1972 Oxford vs Coventry (BL1) Heat One Garry Middleton in a winning time of 66.8 beating Nigel Boocock, Rick Timmo and Roger Hill in a meeting that the "Bees" triumphed 41 points to 36.

I was hooked for the next 32 years.

Edited by steve roberts

I had to look this one up!

Tuesday 30 July 1974. Weymouth v Crewe.

Dave Morton won, from Kelvin Mullarky. Russell Foot third and Ian Cartwright fourth. A 3-3, in a time of 73.3. Weymouth won 41-37.

• Like 2

1st June 1985 - Belle Vue vs Swindon

Chris Morton, Malcolm Simmons, Martin Yeates, Carl Blackbird (F).

• Like 2

You never forget your first speedway race.

Belle Vue v Coventry, Gulf Oil British League, 1975.

My first reaction? They were mad, kamikaze pilots on bikes, racing to be the first to fall on a close first turn. The Belle Vue Ace and Coventry Bee bibs still vivid after all these years.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

My first reaction? They were mad, kamikaze pilots on bikes, racing to be the first to fall on a close first turn. The Belle Vue Ace and Coventry Bee bibs still vivid after all these years.

...plus the very distinctive aroma of Castrol R.

Heat 1 Tilehurst stadium Reading Monday June 17th 1968  Reading v Nelson - race won by by the Admiral`s Fred Powell* the Racers Dene Davies was also in the race but demolished the fence and was ruled out of the meeting * This was the 1st home match for the Reading Racers.

* courtesy of Arnie Gibbons " tears and glory" 

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

An interesting recollection moxey63 - but what date, who were the riders, and how did the race finish please? 

I can't remember my first race as I was a baby when my speedway-mad parents first took me to the Wick in the late sixties.

My first memories are of the colours of the leathers...Hackney+yellow=Dag Lovaas and Rye House+red&black check=Brian Foote.

29 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...plus the very distinctive aroma of Castrol R.

My sister used to say if they could bottle it she'd use it as perfume!

It seemed less prevalent as we moved into the 80's..I guess they changed the formula.

6 minutes ago, Terry said:

My sister used to say if they could bottle it she'd use it as perfume!

It seemed less prevalent as we moved into the 80's..I guess they changed the formula.

The late Rob Woffinden used a mixture when running his petrol driven lawn mower apparently.

36 minutes ago, gustix said:

An interesting recollection moxey63 - but what date, who were the riders, and how did the race finish please? 

Just thought about it, the date was June 7th.

The race: Heat 1.

Riders: Chris Morton, Nigel Boocock, Paul Tyrer, Alan Molyneux (in finishing order).

If I recall correctly, think the time was 71.6 seconds.

I also had a home-made haircut, wore a pair of those Rupert pants that were in fashion, and my biro kept running out filling in each race.

How's that for memory?

Most of the above are untruths - I got the heat details from Speedway Researcher... about five minutes ago. 

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

Can't remember the exact date, but it was in 1963.

My neighbours were Speedway fans and took me to Brandon one Saturday night.

We sat in the old wooden stand that looked down the straight, and I had no idea what was about to enfold.

4 riders lined up at the tapes, and when the tapes rose the riders raced straight towards us, and in an instant I thought they were all about to fall off as they threw their bikes into the first turn. I was hooked!!!