British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

The first race you saw

5 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

13th June 1964, Southern League match . Newport 52- Long Eaton 25.

Heat 1 Alby Golden, Jon Erskine, Ken Adams, John Mills  Time 68.4 secs.  Alby broke the track record in this heat.

I remember seeing Alby Golden for the first time at the old California track. It was in 1954. He was there with visiting Ringwood for a Southern Area League match.

Edited by Guest

29 June 1963 - Speedway Championship of the World, "Sunday Mirror" Round Two (Great Britain) Meeting, Brandon Stadium

Heat 1.  Bryan Elliott (R), Eric Boothroyd (B), Jack Biggs (W), Terry Betts (Y&B)

Result : Biggs, Betts, Elliott, Boothroyd. 67.8 secs

Meeting result:

Ron Mountford 13pts, Doug Templeton 12, Jack Geran 10, Jim Lightfoot 9, Peter Moore 9, Ken McKinlay 9, Barry Briggs 8, Gordon McGregor 8, Len Silver 6, Jack Biggs 5, Terry Betts 5, Ronnie Genz 5, Bryan Elliott 5, Peter Vandenberg 4, Eric Boothroyd 3, Les Owen (res) 3, Pete Brough (res) 3, Cyril Roger 0.

In heat 2, Ron Mountford equalled the track record of 65.8 secs held by Ronnie Moore (1960) and Barry Briggs (1962) - several other riders went on to equal this time, until  on 14 June 1969 Conny Samuelsson (heat 5) and Nigel Boocock (heat 7) set a new record of 65.6 secs when Bees beat Oxford 46-32 in a Knock-out Cup fixture.

Edited by Midland Red

I genuinely did not remember my first race as I didn't like it the first meeting I went to, but I know it was the Bass (former local brewery) Yorkshire Open on 16th September 1976.

Having checked the marvellous Speedway Researcher site, Heat 1 was  Ole Olsen, Ivan Mauger, Peter Collins and Reg Wilson (in that order) in a time of 67 seconds exactly.  Bear in mind the track record at that time was 65.4 set by Ole earlier in the season. 

Apologies for deviating from the original topic a little, but my first "proper" race I remember is when I went again on 15th September 1977 to the Gauloises Pairs semi final and was hooked, upon seeing the Flyer make the gate in his white tasselled leathers.  The result of that was Doug Wyer, Craig Pendlebury, Martin Ashby, Geoff Bouchard in a time of 66.8.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Tigerblade said:

Heat 1 was  Ole Olsen, Ivan Mauger, Peter Collins and Reg Wilson (in that order)

Not a bad start to your speedway watching career!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, norbold said:

Not a bad start to your speedway watching career!

Just a pity I remember sweet FA about it :D

• Haha 1

Pretty sure mine was the first Cradley meeting of 1975 but not available on the researcher site.

1963..New Cross v Hackney.. probably Squibbo in first race.

46 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

1963..New Cross v Hackney.. probably Squibbo in first race.

If it was the first match of the season on 12 April you would have seen Reg and Eddie Reeves for New Cross against Colin McKee and Wal Morton for Hackney. It was a 5-1 for the Rangers. 1. Eddie Reeves 2. Reg Reeves 3. Colin McKee 4. Wal Morton. Time 64.6.

P.S. I don't remember seeing you there.....

Edit: I guess it must have been that match as it was the only time New Cross met Hackney at home that year.

Edited by norbold
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, norbold said:

If it was the first match of the season on 12 April you would have seen Reg and Eddie Reeves for New Cross against Colin McKee and Wal Morton for Hackney. It was a 5-1 for the Rangers. 1. Eddie Reeves 2. Reg Reeves 3. Colin McKee 4. Wal Morton. Time 64.6.

Edit: I guess it must have been that match as it was the only time New Cross met Hackney at home that year.

Eddie Reeves - "Cheetahs" legend!

6 hours ago, Midland Red said:

29 June 1963 - Speedway Championship of the World, "Sunday Mitrror" Round Two (Great Britain) Meeting, Brandon Stadium

Heat 1.  Bryan Elliott (R), Eric Boothroyd (B), Jack Biggs (W), Terry Betts (Y&B)

Result : Biggs, Betts, Elliott, Boothroyd. 67.8 secs

Meeting result:

Ron Mountford 13pts, Doug Templeton 12, Jack Geran 10, Jim Lightfoot 9, Peter Moore 9, Ken McKinlay 9, Barry Briggs 8, Gordon McGregor 8, Len Silver 6, Jack Biggs 5, Terry Betts 5, Ronnie Genz 5, Bryan Elliott 5, Peter Vandenberg 4, Eric Boothroyd 3, Les Owen (res) 3, Pete Brough (res) 3, Cyril Roger 0.

In heat 2, Ron Mountford equalled the track record of 65.8 secs held by Ronnie Moore (1960) and Barry Briggs (1962) - several other riders went on to equal this time, until  on 14 June 1969 Conny Samuelsson (heat 5) and Nigel Boocock (heat 7) set a new record of 65.6 secs when Bees beat Oxford 46-32 in a Knock-out Cup fixture.

Was interested to see that Doug Templeton of Edinburgh in Prov. league scored 12 points-that seems to indicate he could hold his own with Nat. league riders. Did he get much farther in that years WCQR's-were there other PL riders in 1963 who could perform as well against Nat. League riders e.g. Ivan Mauger, Wayne Briggs, George Hunter etc.

24 minutes ago, norbold said:

Thank u Norman..you were wearing an orange bowler hat and black cravat.

April 3 1970 derwent park lou sansom fell on first bend andy meldrum won the race in 83 secs, they were going round over 20 secs faster when we last saw the bikes .

2 hours ago, auntie doris said:

Thank u Norman..you were wearing an orange bowler hat and black cravat.

Oh, you saw me ok then. Sorry, I missed you....

• Like 1

The first race I would have seen was at Liverpool in 1960 but I can't remember a thing about it, except that it was very wet. The first meeting I can remember was Belle Vue v Newport in 1967. We sat on the third bend and my recollection was of these lunatics belting down the back straight towards me. I was sure they were going to crash, shut my eyes, waited for the smash, didn't hear one and opened my eyes to see them roaring off the fourth bend. That was me hooked. For the record, according to the Speedway Researcher the result was Nevitt, Roper, Golden, Erskine in a time of 74.6.

Poole v Coatbridge 24th April 1968 heat 1 eide,laessing,d templeton,mudge 70.4 secs, the only thing I remember it was odd fossengens 1st match for Poole.first thing I remember is Weymouth v Middlesbrough 8th June 1968, graham edmonds of the teesiders hit the fence on the old home straight on and when they took his helmet off his head was covered in blood.

Edited by Tracy Bird