British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

The first race you saw

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 1:56 PM, norbold said:

Just as a preamble to my first race...My family had been well into speedway for a long time, since before the War in fact, and I was actually named after a speedway rider, Norman Parker, Wimbledon Captain at the time. So my family used to talk about speedway and the riders at home a lot and I used to follow the results in the newspapers (yes, they actually had reports and results in those days), and watch the World Final on telly, so I knew quite a bit about speedway and the riders before I ever went. I used to cycle round the big field where I lived and pretend I was Split Waterman or Aub Lawson as they were my boyhood heroes because their names sounded very romantic to me.

So, fast forward to my first time at proper live speedway. It was on 11 May 1960 at New Cross, a Britannia Shield match against Norwich, and there, in the very first race, to my absolute amazement were Split Waterman and Aub Lawson! The result of that race: 1. Aub Lawson (W) 2. Jimmy Gooch (B) 3. Split Waterman (R) 4. Harry Edwards (Y). Time 61.6 seconds round the 278 yards New Cross track. Although Ove Fundin scored an 18 point maximum and Aub Lawson 16 paid 17, New Cross won the match 48-42 after having lost their previous five matches on the trot. Jimmy Gooch was the New Cross hero that night, scoring 11 points and being the only New Cross rider to get the better of Aub Lawson. He became my new instant hero!

Hello Norbold, I think I've mentioned before that you beat me by a few months as my first meeting was in September 1960 when New Cross took on their South London neighbours, Wimbledon. I do remember it was raining quite heavily and records show that the meeting was abandoned but only after most of the heats had been completed. Not sure who was riding in that first heat but my guess would be Waterman, Gooch (Luckhurst?), Moore and Brine.  

Edited by Split
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Split said:

Hello Norbold, I think I've mentioned before that you beat me by a few months as my first meeting was in September 1960 when New Cross took on their South London neighbours, Wimbledon. I do remember it was raining quite heavily and records show that the meeting was abandoned but only after most of the heats had been completed. Not sure who was riding in that first heat but my guess would be Waterman, Gooch (Luckhurst?), Moore and Brine.  

That was on 14 September 1960. Abandoned after 12 heats with the score 36-36. The first heat finished: 1. Ronnie Moore 2. Jim Tebby 3. Split Waterman 4. Reg Luckhurst (f). The time, believe it or not, was 70.2!

18 hours ago, bruno said:

Pretty sure mine was the first Cradley meeting of 1975 but not available on the researcher site.

https://www.speedwaygb.co.uk/result-archive/heatdetails/season1975.pdf

There you go Bruno....   Scroll to March 22nd

• Like 1

I know it is, I think Bruno must have been looking at the individual clubs part for him to say he couldn't find it on there. 

October 1982. Sheffield v Belle Vue Northern Trophy second leg. Ivan at number 1 for the Tigers, beat Louis Carr, Larry Ross and Dave Bargh.  Last match of the season followed by the fireworks.  End to a great season for the Tigers.  

Ray Glover had wanted Mauger to come out of BL retirement, but he ‘coached’ us and then guested for Wayne Brown who’d gone back to NZ, never to return as it turned out.

i was already obsessed from World Of Sport coverage, but the real thing was amazing.  And I got PCs autograph, who was already one of my three favourite riders.

Edited by JRS1972

28th September 1968. Cradley v Newport.

Graham Coombes(R), Chris Julian(B), Jon Erskine(W), Cyril Francis(Y). Finished in that order. 72.8

Newport V Reading 1999.

Craig watson best Dave Mullett from the back . Can’t remember who was third/fourth. Think Chris neath was 3rd and Paul clews fourth but can’t be sure

June 26th, 1971, Rayleigh v Romford, British League Division 2.

Heat 1 - Kevin Holden, Nigel Rackett, Mike Sampson, Geoff Maloney. 

The Rockets recovered from that 4-2 reverse to win 45-30, including a heat 13 3-0 to the home side with Alan Emmett the only survivor from a race that saw Kevin Holden retire and Hugh Saunders and Bob Coles both fall. 

I remember mine as clear as day. 1975. Exeter v Reading. Bank Holiday Monday. Scorching hot day, travelled to Exeter by bus from the village I lived in with other kids from the village. I was 9 and all the kids used to go to this "speedway" so I asked Mum if I could go. What I saw had me hooked for life. Noise, colour, smell, dirt, speed. I'll never forget that day as long as I live.

It was a BL match & respective number ones Ivan Mauger & Anders Michanek were absent, as they had raced in the World Championship European Final in Bydgoszcz the day before, Mauger won I think with 14 points, I am sure someone will confirm. Anyway, Doug Wyer guested for Exeter, Dave Jessup for Reading. Heat 1 was Humphreys, Jessup, Farrell, Wyer in 71.8 seconds.

Jessup won his 4 remaining races - one as a TS - to complete a 5 ride paid max, Wyer went to score 8 & Exeter won 43-35. The return was at Reading in the evening.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2019 at 8:30 PM, Split said:

Great stuff. You two are probably older than me:D Went for just 1963, then we had to go norf of the River to Ackney and West Am, or across to SW London, Wimbledon. Real shame no speedway in the capital now. My Dad told me some great stories of post-war speedway at Wembley.

My first live meeting was at imbled Stadium on Thursday 17 March 1976 when the Dons lost at home against Reading in a challenge match 32-46. but I did watch speedway on Tv prior to this match dating back to the late 1960s.

The first race result was Dave Jessup, Barry Crowson, Bernie Leigh, Edgar Stangeland 65.1 secs.

Strange but True Roger Johns was the first Wimbledon rider to win a race home and away in 1976 as he won heta 2 of this match and the following week at White City's opening meeting on 24 March a challenge match against Wimbledon he won 2 again.

• Like 1

May 22nd, 1971. Great Britain v Poland, 1st Test at Blunsdon

The first race result was Jim Airey, Jim McMillan, Pawel Waloszek, Jerzy Szczakiel in that order in a time of 71.6 (very quick,  at the time the TR was just over 70 seconds I think)

Bit of a one sided affair, finished up 80-28 to GB.

Hooked by the speed, noise, excitement and even the smell. Sadly, I lost interest in the late 70's, too many other distractions I guess to a burgeoning teenager!

Only got back into the sport in the last ten years or so, thanks largely to the GP's

1 hour ago, briggo said:

May 22nd, 1971. Great Britain v Poland, 1st Test at Blunsdon

The first race result was Jim Airey, Jim McMillan, Pawel Waloszek, Jerzy Szczakiel in that order in a time of 71.6 (very quick,  at the time the TR was just over 70 seconds I think)

Bit of a one sided affair, finished up 80-28 to GB.

Hooked by the speed, noise, excitement and even the smell. Sadly, I lost interest in the late 70's, too many other distractions I guess to a burgeoning teenager!

Only got back into the sport in the last ten years or so, thanks largely to the GP's

I remember that one. I also lost interest in 70s, returning again in 2004 up at Workington, before moving back to Swindon 2007. Enjoy it as much now as when I was schoolkid!

Seems to be a few who stopped going about then, I stopped early 80s when the Heathens were thumping everyone, went to a few thru the late 80s and 90s and picked it back up at Monmore late 90s to 2010 with Wolves till we came back then more or less just followed us with the occasional Wolves meeting. Followed both teams last couple of years but looks like back to being just a wolf next season. Lol