British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

The first race you saw

On 10/29/2019 at 3:06 PM, JRS1972 said:

October 1982. Sheffield v Belle Vue Northern Trophy second leg. Ivan at number 1 for the Tigers, beat Louis Carr, Larry Ross and Dave Bargh.  Last match of the season followed by the fireworks.  End to a great season for the Tigers.  

Ray Glover had wanted Mauger to come out of BL retirement, but he ‘coached’ us and then guested for Wayne Brown who’d gone back to NZ, never to return as it turned out.

i was already obsessed from World Of Sport coverage, but the real thing was amazing.  And I got PCs autograph, who was already one of my three favourite riders.

I was at that one, had forgotten most about it, apart from it being against the Aces. I wonder what made Wayne decide to throw it all in. Not that he could tell us now of course :-(

On 11/6/2019 at 4:15 PM, Tigerblade said:

I was at that one, had forgotten most about it, apart from it being against the Aces. I wonder what made Wayne decide to throw it all in. Not that he could tell us now of course :-(

From memory, i believe he initially took a year off to help out with the family business and of course never came back

Wayne Brown was for a while public enemy #1 at Crayford after his clash with Paul Woods at the 1980 NL Riders Championship

First meeting I saw was Belle Vue v Hull in 1978...I can't remember all 4 riders but certainly Alan Wilkinson, Chris Turner and Ivan Mauger.. and a Hull rider I cannot remember.. . Pretty certain Wilkinson won it and not Mauger... I think Mauger only got 7 points if I remember.... Peter Collins got a max... In fact it was a good while until I saw Collins lose a race.. It was eventually Dave Jessup who was the first rider I saw beat him round Hyde Road for Reading a good few matches later. 

• Like 1

April 1971 - Eastbourne vs  Sunderland     59-19

Race 1 Derek Cook (R) Roger Johns (B) Russ Dent (W) Brian Whaley (YB)

R YB B W 4-2 to the Eagles.

Cook went on to a 12 Point Max and Russ Dent won Heat 13 for Sunderland's only race win to deny the Eagles 60

Time was 67.2 

Hooked for life at age 11

• Like 1

Stoke v Workington 1980.

Heat 1 Billy Burton ,Paul Stead, Ian Hindle.

I can't remember who came 4th.

Burton set a new track record of 63.4. 

The Potters won 54-24.

And I had a new hero in Rod North.

It rained part way through the meeting and Steve Bastable did, I think 3 exhibition races in the 2nd half. 

Happy days.

On 11/13/2019 at 3:32 PM, Trotter65 said:

First meeting I saw was Belle Vue v Hull in 1978...I can't remember all 4 riders but certainly Alan Wilkinson, Chris Turner and Ivan Mauger.. and a Hull rider I cannot remember.. . Pretty certain Wilkinson won it and not Mauger... I think Mauger only got 7 points if I remember.... Peter Collins got a max... In fact it was a good while until I saw Collins lose a race.. It was eventually Dave Jessup who was the first rider I saw beat him round Hyde Road for Reading a good few matches later. 

That would have been on Saturday, May 20, 1978, and Belle Vue won 47-31. The other rider in the race was Phil Kynman.

Wilkie did win the race in a time of 72.4, and Ivan did finish with 7 (2 - 2 - 3 - EF - 2M).