British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Leicester Lions 2020

Would think Danyon Hume must be in with a shout for reserve spot 

• Like 3

A huge shame that Scott has gone,  he was one of the main reasons to go to Leicester for me.  Brave of Leicester if they are looking at running GP weekends but they must be confident of their business. 

They will have a few options but one very big role to fill on and off track. I'm sure Scott won't be short of a few offers and like another post mentioned a little closer to home might not be a bad idea. With 2020 being Rory's last season it wouldn't surprise me to see Nicholls follow suit. 

Best at of luck to the lions in 2020, will take some beating to top this year. 

For those who don't have Facebook................................SCOTT ENDS LIONS SPELL
Scott Nicholls will be racing for a new team in 2020 after telling Leicester Lions he couldn't commit to another season.
Nicholls had has just captained the East Midlands side to their first league title admits it has been a pleasure to be part of a great club but his TV commitments mean he couldn't race for the Lions being a Saturday night track in the Championship.
He added: “Naturally it was a tough call to tell Leicester I wouldn’t be back there next season especially after the season we have just had. It will go down as one of my best achievements in the sport to lead the side to their first league title. “The win was as much for the fans and all the people behind the scenes as it was for the riders. It’s a special club and one that will live long in the memory for me personally. Everyone was welcoming on race nights and the support we got as riders on the terraces really was something else. The Lions fans turned up in numbers at every meeting and it certainly spurred the riders on.
“I want to wish everyone the best for 2020 and hopefully they go on and have another good season. My work on the Grand Prix with the BT Sport team is something I want to continue and hopefully be available for every round in 2020. I see it as an important part of my future and if it wasn’t for this I’m sure I would have still been at Leicester next season. 

14 hours ago, Rockstar99 said:

Based on the rumoured 41.00 points limit.

1. Nick Morris 8.38
2. Connor Mountain 4.73
3. Kyle Howarth 7.15
4. Ellis Perks 6.40
5. Ryan Douglas 8.31

6.03 for the reserves

Has Ryan indicated he will be available for next season or will he be looking at opportunities in Poland? 

1 hour ago, 1 valve said:

Has Ryan indicated he will be available for next season or will he be looking at opportunities in Poland? 

I thought I saw somewhere he was moving closer to his mate Morris at Swindon with also a view of trying to take on POL in 2020.. It could be of course Morris also looking for another shot at POL flwg his injury which may have effected his form in 2019. Maybe planning to go out together if they were to get fixed up. Also closer in respect of Airport commuting with Heathrow/Gatwick.

Just thinking aloud.

They should take Sam Masters' recent experience into account and be wary of thinking that the door is open for them in Poland, I think it's a hard nut to crack and with the quantity of riders their system is producing now, will only get even more difficult to break into. Maybe better opportunities will crop up in Sweden during the season especially with top riders staying away from their top tier? 

On the question of replacing Scott Nicholls, who is there to bring in the same level of know-how to the team, be a captain,  is available and can fit within the points limit? (and increase his average).

4 minutes ago, Lionsman66 said:

How about having a heavy top 5 & having both Thompson Twins at reserve??

I did wonder that as TT improvement was eye catching and staggering.

OK they could be accused of throwing them in at the deep end and would not be able to ride until 16 (mid April I think) but if no NDL who do TTwins ride for and where and Leicester surely have them on long term cast iron Contracts.

Only other logical suggestion would be keep one at Leicester and loan one to Brummies (cheeky I know) but then you have to think of parents who'd have to give up even more time to support them.

Dickson is the shrewdest guy out there so I'm sure will have something up his sleeve and that may including using Hume/Lawlor and another as "stop gaps" until Twins are 16??...

Watched TTwins beat some other CL reserve possibles when riding for Cubs like Bickley / Kemp / Jenkins / and good CL reserve like Flint in recent visits so may be that's the plan.

Ryan Douglas will be part of the KS Torun squad in Poland next season.

On 11/7/2019 at 1:03 AM, Gemini said:

For those who don't have Facebook................................SCOTT ENDS LIONS SPELL
Scott Nicholls will be racing for a new team in 2020 after telling Leicester Lions he couldn't commit to another season.

Just when I was thinking I would return albeit with a little persuasion/nagging. Good luck Scott -- you have been a great Captain and brought a smile to my face throughout your racing career.

• Like 2

On 11/9/2019 at 5:51 PM, screm said:

Ryan Douglas will be part of the KS Torun squad in Poland next season.

Are Torun in the second tier of Polish speedway in 2020? if so does this offer better chances of UK based riders being able to ride Saturday nights in the UK or would this still be a "no no" as per the top tier?

27 minutes ago, 1 valve said:

Are Torun in the second tier of Polish speedway in 2020? if so does this offer better chances of UK based riders being able to ride Saturday nights in the UK or would this still be a "no no" as per the top tier?

Polish clubs run whenever it suits them no.matter what may have been agreed previously!!

• Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 10:18 AM, Lionsman66 said:

How about having a heavy top 5 & having both Thompson Twins at reserve??

Maybe one of them will be brought into the side part way through the season, if team changes are needed.

On 11/9/2019 at 9:27 PM, fliss44 said:

Just when I was thinking I would return albeit with a little persuasion/nagging. Good luck Scott -- you have been a great Captain and brought a smile to my face throughout your racing career.

His career isn't over yet. I look forward to his return visits to Beaumont Park with his new club next season. In fact, there are several top Championship riders who are starting to show a liking for the track. Notable performances by Bomber and Eddie Kennett spring to mind this season. 

• Like 1

How about:

R Douglas

R Worrall

C Mountain

K Howarth 

N Morris

J Thompson

D Thompson

Averages add up to 40.82 according to my sums. Doesn't allow for any discounts (2.5% or whatever) for British riders and assumes that the twins would each come in on 2.00.

The team balance looks suspiciously like the one Somerset finished up with last season. As we know, teams that are going to be successful will have riders upping their current averages. Is it asking a bit much for the twins to average 7.00 between them? If so, I think the Lions would be in business with the above line up. Lions fans might scream at the omission of Perks (rightly so) but you have to start somewhere!

Just a bit of fun, but in Dickson we trust and the team is no doubt sorted already!