British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Leicester Lions 2020

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

So annoying to see such young riders come into the CL solely for the benefit of team building and to the detriment of their development.

They’ve had barely a season in the NL and averaged below 7.

They’re just not ready and it shouldn’t be allowed.

They must want to take the chance given to them.They don’t have to move up if they don’t want too.There will be more young riders at reserve this season. IMO.

6 minutes ago, foamfence said:

I would say the Thompson boys are better riders than those you've named, every so often naturals come along (the last one was Dan Bewley) and they need to progress quickly, anyway some of those on your list aren't finished yet.

I think the last “natural” was Drew Kemp and he was dropped by Sheffield.

I would rather see them have another season in the NL to give them more experience and hit 8 point averages to show that they are ready to step up.

Nevertheless, good luck to the Thompsons.

7 minutes ago, DC2 said:

I would rather see them have another season in the NL to give them more experience and hit 8 point averages to show that they are ready to step up.

I kind of agree with you and it might be wiser to have them in the NL for another year. But other clubs were already showing an interest and you can't blame any rider wanting to move up as soon as possible. Granted they need to score some points to earn a sensible income but any money coming in has got to be better than struggling financially in the NL. That family fielded 4 bikes this year. Even with sponsorship, I suspect the bank of Dad was hit pretty hard. Let's hope they can balance the books a bit better next year. It's a critical time for sure.

3 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

Yes. Morris and howarth are with u guys. 

Where has this been announced please?

Edited by False dawn
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Probably so but Sheffield's decision was much criticised on here and Kemp actually had a decent average.

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

.... err .... unless they go the way of Jack Parkinson-Blackburn, Jack Smith, Jack Thomas, Georgie Wood, Zach Wajtknecht, Henry Atkins, Danton Hume and Jordan Jenkins, all of whom have been knocked back by the CL, lost confidence or given up.

To promote two 15 year olds that can’t even get a 7 point average in the NL just so you can have a powerful top five is poor judgment and not done at all for the benefit of the Thompsons.

To be fair the list of riders above have all very different reasons for not hitting the heights in the CL and for several there is still plenty of time to do so. Not every rider is ready at a young age. The Thompson family are grounded and do know what they can and cannot achieve, Leicester have been behind these two for a good while so should stand by them through good and bad. Even if they don't make the grade this season they are getting good experience for the following year.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

To be fair the list of riders above have all very different reasons for not hitting the heights in the CL and for several there is still plenty of time to do so. Not every rider is ready at a young age. The Thompson family are grounded and do know what they can and cannot achieve, Leicester have been behind these two for a good while so should stand by them through good and bad. Even if they don't make the grade this season they are getting good experience for the following year.

Hope so.

Just checked Dan Bewley’s first year in 2016.

He rode for BV in the NL and Edinburgh in the “CL” (the “Premier League” as was) improving in the season from 3 to 8.65 in the NL and from 3 to 4 in the CL.

3 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Hope so.

Just checked Dan Bewley’s first year in 2016.

He rode for BV in the NL and Edinburgh in the “CL” (the “Premier League” as was) improving in the season from 3 to 8.65 in the NL and from 3 to 4 in the CL.

Certainly not knocking Dan's achievements as they were excellent however 2016 wasn't a vintage year for quality reserves in the NL and Edinburgh held open auditions for reserves as they were desperate....he did grab the opportunity with both hands though. 

Good luck to both the twins and if Leicester do the same as what Workington did with Bickley longterm Leicester will reap the rewards.The twins along with young Palin at Scunny wont be expected to score loads but the experience they gain will be invaluable.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Which stupid rule will they find before the twins birthdays  ??

Same one Buster used when Robert Lambert was 15

Last year at home, the Thompson twins race times were comparable to Perks & Hume so have decent equipment.

They have, also, had schooling sessions with Tai & will have more.

Two years ago, both Bickley & Bailey were regularly getting 0, 1 or 2 so the money will not have been coming in from points gained & both clubs said that they hoped to score some but it was mainly heat 2. Riders of the calibre of the twins & Palin will probably be on a low guaranteed plus paid over their 2 average. 

• Like 1

I know the Thompson twins are schooled by the No limits training programme, being taught by Rory Sclein, Ty Woffinden, Scott Nicholls and many top people in the speedway world, riders, physical training experts, nutrition training, and promotional and physiological training, The advice by most of them is  that they are ready and have the potential to steadily progress, these youngster's need our backing, to take on British and other World teams and progress needs to be as soon as they are competent, good luck to the boys 

Edited by Podgypig
Why is my post shown as hidden