British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Leicester Lions 2020

Both Joe and Dan are academically very clever lads and they do not need to do Speedway they do it because they love the sport.  The last  I heard was they were going to continue into further education after their GCSEs in May as they want a good background when their Speedway careers have finished.

They come from a very stable and supportive family who are investing into the twins Speedway even in 2019 they had good sponsorship and expect they will obtain more for next year to improve equipment for Championship racing.

As has previously been stated they have had lots of advice and guidance with Tai and Rory Schlein which I am sure that will continue next year and I know Tai is keen to get them out to Wroclaw to have practice sessions with the Polish juniors and in the sparring matches once they are 16.

Stewart is correct in his statement the way that the 2020 Lions team has been built there is little pressure on them and unless one of them really hits heat leader form they will remain at reserve 

Edited by flagrag
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DC2 said:

So annoying to see such young riders come into the CL solely for the benefit of team building and to the detriment of their development.

They’ve had barely a season in the NL and averaged below 7.

They’re just not ready and it shouldn’t be allowed.

When considering the overall average for the season you should take into account:
- The boys started in the reserve berths and for the first four matches excluding bonus points their averages were
Dan 4.79
Joe 5.39

- For the last four fixtures  where the twins were in the main body of the team and again ignoring bonus points their averages were:
Dan 6.08 (8.1 including BP)
Joe 8.69 (9.8 including BP)

Clearly as the season progressed the boys made measurable progress despite the oppositon in their heats becoming tougher thus it is fair to say that looking at their closing averages they fully desreve the chance to continue their improvements and the Lions management have yet again made a smart call re team selection and makeup.

Although it has not been made clear if the club will continue in the National League next year, If they do then it would make sense for the twins to double up with the Cubs thereby continuing to help with their develoment as well as being a positive attraction for those clubs the Cubs will visit during the season.

Just hope everybody stays fit so that the Lions success of 2019 can continue into next season - good luck to all concerned

Edited by 1 valve
  • Like 2

I think they need to be in the higher level now. Both have a style of riding which is neat and controlled (mostly!), the mishaps, and the near-mishaps, they have suffered have been caused in the main by other NL riders of lesser ability losing control or making misjudgements, together with Joe and Dan trying to make manoevres which have left them at times susceptible. Hopefully this will not be so much of a factor at the CL level.

Having said that I am a bit disappointed that Danyon Hume has not moved into the CL side.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

Last year at home, the Thompson twins race times were comparable to Perks & Hume so have decent equipment.

They have, also, had schooling sessions with Tai & will have more.

Two years ago, both Bickley & Bailey were regularly getting 0, 1 or 2 so the money will not have been coming in from points gained & both clubs said that they hoped to score some but it was mainly heat 2. Riders of the calibre of the twins & Palin will probably be on a low guaranteed plus paid over their 2 average. 

Bailey two years ago???

• Like 1

Having watched them this season the boys will do well if the track suits them All the Nl tracks they rode on  are really slick but stepping up a league means the tracks will have a lot more dirt on them and they will need to be a lot stronger to hold on to their bikes 

• Like 3

Kyle Howarth in for Lions.

4 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

What's happening with Connor Mountain? Can we have him please?

I suspect there will be a lot of interest in Connor. He (and Ellis) sprung more than a few surprises on opposition riders of much higher averages this season. It's a shame when this kind of team change takes place. I accept the need for a points limit, but a lad like Connor could add a point or two to his average next season.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, False dawn said:

I suspect there will be a lot of interest in Connor. He (and Ellis) sprung more than a few surprises on opposition riders of much higher averages this season. It's a shame when this kind of team change takes place. I accept the need for a points limit, but a lad like Connor could add a point or two to his average next season.

He flies around PB and would be a great acquisition for Birmingham imo.

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

What's happening with Connor Mountain? Can we have him please?

Suffered from a dearth of racing opportunity last season especially towards the end. He's in that no-mans land; over-qualified for the NDL and not yet good enough to get any interest from PL. Hopefully with a suitable team next year with the increase in league matches to help boost confidence, he can come back to Leicester in 2021 "oven-ready" as someone says.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Col said:

Kyle Howarth in for Lions.

The Thompsons are going to need a translator to help them understand what the rest of their team mates are saying.

4 hours ago, Happy Hunter said:

Perhaps a Strine dictionary will be part of the deal. G'day all.

Air Fridge = Average