British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Leicester Lions 2020

Best news of all is that Stewart Dickson can now be released from his room where David Rowe has had him locked in until he had made all the team announcements.:blink: 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, iainb said:

I'm not for one moment saying they should, but... how long before the twins can/will be binned off and replaced with more experienced reserves?

You won’t get many experienced 2 pointers around They will do ok as long as they stay on their bikes and get a bit quicker out the gate 

2 hours ago, iainb said:

I'm not for one moment saying they should, but... how long before the twins can/will be binned off and replaced with more experienced reserves?

There's been a history of the Lions binning young reserves in the second tier, but this year Jack Thomas binned himself, that was all. But overall there's been a stong tendency for younger riders to underperform at Beaumont Park for the Lions, I think that's because they've struggled to master the track and then get discouraged. Joe and Dan will not have that problem, and so they start out with an advantage over many who have trodden this path. 

• Like 2

Out of interest I have just gone over the cubs meetings, home and away. Dan or Joe have beaten Palin. Phillips. Flint. Bickley. J. Smith. Wilson. Ledwith. Gilkes. Rowe. Clegg. Perry. Bailey.  At Beaumont park.

Bickley. Palin. Phillips. Clegg. J. Smith. Rowe away from home.

6 of those riders have signed for clubs in the CL for next season. With a good chance a few more may follow.

With the experience the twins have around BP I don't see them having a problem. They have ridden the track in all sorts of conditions, slick, with dirt, very wet, bone dry, so they really do know it well.

Away from home may be more of a challenge, but I am confident they will overcome what ever is thrown at them.

It is my understanding they have put, and will continue to put good investment into their equipment for the new season.

So from my point of view, I will be backing and encouraging them the best I can.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BTFC LION said:

Out of interest I have just gone over the cubs meetings, home and away. Dan or Joe have beaten Palin. Phillips. Flint. Bickley. J. Smith. Wilson. Ledwith. Gilkes. Rowe. Clegg. Perry. Bailey.  At Beaumont park.

Bickley. Palin. Phillips. Clegg. J. Smith. Rowe away from home.

6 of those riders have signed for clubs in the CL for next season. With a good chance a few more may follow.

With the experience the twins have around BP I don't see them having a problem. They have ridden the track in all sorts of conditions, slick, with dirt, very wet, bone dry, so they really do know it well.

Away from home may be more of a challenge, but I am confident they will overcome what ever is thrown at them.

It is my understanding they have put, and will continue to put good investment into their equipment for the new season.

So from my point of view, I will be backing and encouraging them the best I can.

That was my thinking, there will be a lot of youngsters at reserve in the Championship this season.This will help them. Imo 

Impressive... You could see them working with eachother the whole way around... Brotherly connection... That's Jordan Palin too... No slouch either... Used to seeing Danny at the back, but didn't expect it against these lot :unsure:

Edited by Dandelion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks a strong 1-5 my only worry if a Leicester fan would be can Douglas and Perks have such a great season again and that Proctor and Howarth are full on racers and therefore injury prone. Team of entertainers though for sure!

5 hours ago, Dandelion said:

Impressive... You could see them working with each other the whole way around... Brotherly connection... That's Jordan Palin too... No slouch either... Used to seeing Danny at the back, but didn't expect it against these lot :unsure:

This was a great race and a good advert for the sport. I remember watching it live and being thoroughly impressed by all three racers. I turned to my friend after the race to share impressions when he said, "and don't forget, they're all still 15 years old". The future really is bright.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 7:04 PM, Big Al said:

There's been a history of the Lions binning young reserves in the second tier, but this year Jack Thomas binned himself, that was all.

You were allegedly not paying him. Not exactly a motivator to continue.

• Like 1

What exactly are Leicester planning should they have any fixtures prior to the Thompson"s 16th birthday?

33 minutes ago, RS50 said:

What exactly are Leicester planning should they have any fixtures prior to the Thompson"s 16th birthday?

The statement on the Lions website said " the club have a contingency plan for the early weeks of the season "  & goes on to say " the Lions will not start their official programme until that stage (22 April ) although there will be track action at BP in other competitions prior to that April 22nd date".

By other competitions i'm thinking, if they are running a cubs side, they will take those early dates.Also i'd imagine a challenge match will take place as a warm-up, possibly against Sheffield, which should attract a big crowd with Nikki Pedersen riding for the opposition. Lions would need to strengthen for that anyway, so guests could be used for the Thompsons.

17 hours ago, HGould said:

Looks a strong 1-5 my only worry if a Leicester fan would be can Douglas and Perks have such a great season again and that Proctor and Howarth are full on racers and therefore injury prone. Team of entertainers though for sure!

Don’t think Howarth and proctor are exciting at all tbh

10 hours ago, MD said:

You were allegedly not paying him. Not exactly a motivator to continue.

He was being paid. The reference referred to the contract offered to him to ride for the cubs - he said the pay was not enough!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevethelion said:

The statement on the Lions website said " the club have a contingency plan for the early weeks of the season "  & goes on to say " the Lions will not start their official programme until that stage (22 April ) although there will be track action at BP in other competitions prior to that April 22nd date".

By other competitions i'm thinking, if they are running a cubs side, they will take those early dates.Also i'd imagine a challenge match will take place as a warm-up, possibly against Sheffield, which should attract a big crowd with Nikki Pedersen riding for the opposition. Lions would need to strengthen for that anyway, so guests could be used for the Thompsons.

I'll expect loads of matches to be called off on the basis of a forecast for rain that never appears or it being too cold then

1 hour ago, iainb said:

I'll expect loads of matches to be called off on the basis of a forecast for rain that never appears or it being too cold then

Well no because they just wont have any home fixtures in the league until they’re 16? It’s quite simple really... 

• Like 2