British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Leicester Lions 2020

23 hours ago, Hamish McRaker said:

If either of the Thompson boys has to miss a match or two through injury, will the Lions have a 2-pointer up their sleeve ready to stand in?

Hopefully the boys will stay injury free but if a stand in is required then as long as it is not immediately after the start of the season their averages could well be up at the 4 point mark thus providing a wider choice of guest?

Edited by 1 valve

2 hours ago, 1 valve said:

Hopefully the boys will stay injury free but if a stand in is required then as long as it is not immediately after the start of the season their averages could well be up at the 4 point mark thus providing a wider choice of guest?

That is incredibly optimistic to say the least . But hopefully it wont be a issue and they stay injury free . I have no doubt they will succeed but i think there rise will be a little less rapid than you think . That said you never know . 

2 hours ago, 1 valve said:

Think 4 point averages for the Thompsons is cloud cuckoo land.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1 valve said:

With the Thompson boys not turning 16 until 22nd April, meaning a late start to the season, by the time they have completed 4H 4A to get a true average, it could be mid June.

7 hours ago, DC2 said:

Think 4 point averages for the Thompsons is cloud cuckoo land.

Have you seen them????  do you not realise both are very decent at a very tricky home venue.Also they are part of Leicester's future they will struggle at times but in the longterm they will  play a big part in Leicester's future.

Edited by Sidney the robin

I do hope the Thompson's do well, but realistically they were nowhere as good as Flint was in the previous season's  NL as a 15 year old, and he averaged 3.42 this season for Berwick and was generally thought to have done well.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2019 at 10:51 PM, Teromaafan said:

Looking at the Lions team structure for next year I think we should be more concerned with the No.5 position rather than No.1. The No.5 is paired with a reserve apart from Heat 13, so if we are saying there is no pressure on the twins, then whoever is at No.5 is going to have to consistently deliver. 

On a more general note, why does the rider with the highest average have to ride at No.1, when Heat 8 is the only 'protected' race? For many teams, there is only a few hundredths of a point between their top two anyway. The current Heat format to me seems little different to when I first followed the sport in the early 70's, when your reserves were at 6 & 7 and you could do what you liked with the riding order of the other five.

Tbh protecting heat 8 is stupid, a strong number 7 like Greaves or Mountain gets a protected heat, while a weaker reserve like Lawlor or Woolley gets a heat against Morris & Covatti (Somerset) - imo the heat is only worth protecting if weakest rider has to be number 7!

There is no doubt that 2020 will be a learning session for the Thompson twins and some meetings will be better than others.

However they were beating rider like Flint,Bickley,Jenkins,Lawlor,Kemp,Palin on a regular basis both home and away.

The one thing that they do need to is toughen up a bit on track and stand their ground this is something I am sure that their winter training will be focused on.

10 hours ago, flagrag said:

There is no doubt that 2020 will be a learning session for the Thompson twins and some meetings will be better than others.

However they were beating rider like Flint,Bickley,Jenkins,Lawlor,Kemp,Palin on a regular basis both home and away.

The one thing that they do need to is toughen up a bit on track and stand their ground this is something I am sure that their winter training will be focused on.

Not sure about your claim of them regularly beating the top riders home and away.

How come they finished on 6.5 and 5.5 averages?

I can find only one race on Updates where one of them beat Flint once in a rain affected match at home.

That said, they are very promising.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DC2 said:

Not sure about your claim of them regularly beating the top riders home and away.

How come they finished on 6.5 and 5.5 averages?

I can find only one race on Updates where one of them beat Flint once in a rain affected match at home.

That said, they are very promising.

Knowing all of those riders, I doubt either of the twins beat Palin last year.

54 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Care to watch this and eat some humble pie

http://www.speedwaygb.co.uk/news.php?extend.37658

I stand corrected on that. I'll trump that but with the many times during this years BYC final where Jordan won with the twins behind him and my rider Freeman in forth place. Jordan was outstanding in the BYC and was No 1 in the Colts team starting from No 7 at the start of his year. Didn't get beat much to be number 1 in the Cubs lineup with an 8.82 average and scored a 15 point maximum in his first NL meeting.. 

Edited by Tsunami