British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Leicester Lions 2020

3 hours ago, Lenny Lion said:

http://www.leicesterspeedway.com/_mobile/news.php?extend.31608.1

As someone who worked hard & raised money I am totally disgusted by the club, this stand was built & paid for by the supporters in conjunction the supporters club to be known as the supporters club stand . 

It even has our plaque & names on the back of the stand but no doubt that will have been removed for an oversized advert.

Along with forcing members of loyal staff out of the club like myself who they had never even met before taking over, this is another symbol of the current owners having no respect for their customer or the former staff who only tried to promote their club. 

Where does it say that their banner is going to cover up your plaque. Surely, given the length of that straight, it is big enough to accommodate both. Or is one of you looking for a fight.

• Like 3

Not sure where he as gone but I think I read something about Newcastle 

2 hours ago, pitstop84 said:

Not sure where he as gone but I think I read something about Newcastle 

Not involved directly at Newcastle. Gave Rob advice with his business plan to keep the Diamonds going. Wouldn't be surprised if he pops in from time to time though. 

33 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Not involved directly at Newcastle. Gave Rob advice with his business plan to keep the Diamonds going. Wouldn't be surprised if he pops in from time to time though. 

Edited by pitstop84
Wrong wording

9 minutes ago, pitstop84 said:

This is the reply that I got from the management re the back straight:

profile_mask2.png

13:11 (6 hours ago)

Thank you for your email regarding the naming of the back straight stand. We are forever grateful to the generosity of people who came forward during the build of the stadium. The donations pledged from fans was gratefully received and as you say each person's name has been recorded on a plaque.

You have raised an interesting observation and we gave the matter considerable thought before entering into discussions about the naming of the stand and took into consideration the part fans played. 

The total of monies raised by fans amounted to a contribution that paid for a stretch of concrete, whereas the total cost of the building of the back straight stand with terracing, steel girders, roof and back support ran into thousands of pounds. With this in mind, we came to the conclusion that in this instance there was no requirement for prior consultation beforehand as the highest significant proportion of the total cost fell to the club owners to find.

I hope my explanation clears up any misunderstanding and once again many thanks for taking the time to write to us and we look forward to seeing you in March.

15 minutes ago, Skodaman said:

profile_mask2.png

Thank you for your email regarding the naming of the back straight stand. We are forever grateful to the generosity of people who came forward during the build of the stadium. The donations pledged from fans was gratefully received and as you say each person's name has been recorded on a plaque.

You have raised an interesting observation and we gave the matter considerable thought before entering into discussions about the naming of the stand and took into consideration the part fans played. 

The total of monies raised by fans amounted to a contribution that paid for a stretch of concrete, whereas the total cost of the building of the back straight stand with terracing, steel girders, roof and back support ran into thousands of pounds. With this in mind, we came to the conclusion that in this instance there was no requirement for prior consultation beforehand as the highest significant proportion of the total cost fell to the club owners to find.

I hope my explanation clears up any misunderstanding and once again many thanks for taking the time to write to us and we look forward to seeing you in March.

I hope you thanked them for the quick reply.

• Like 1

Just call it the LHH Supporters Stand with LHH banners up either side of the plaque. Seems simple to me, a true supporter surely wouldn't want to be seen to stand in the way of sponsorship income to the club

• Like 2

My names on the plaque as well but I can't get worked up about the stand being sponsored. Like the club say our donations were only a flea bite compared to the total cost of the stand. The main thing is is that we still have a speedway team to support and any additional income that helps that is more than welcome! 

• Like 2

On 2/18/2020 at 7:19 PM, Skodaman said:

profile_mask2.png

As someone who was closely involved in the whole project of getting speedway back to Leicester, as both part of Leicester Speedway Ltd's organising committee and also as Secretary of the LSSC at the time, I'm assuming this 'information' has been put forward by Hemsley given that the present regime were not in place back 2011. The statement misses out an awful lot of the background story to the construction of that stand, and crucially, the paying for it. The LSSC raised well over £5k for that concrete terrace, with our people also helping to build it. The back straight was originally going to be a continuation of the earth berm around the bends until we put this proposal forward. The cost of the ironwork, which did indeed cost more than the terrace, was actually funded by the waste tipping but sadly, ended up as a legal battle that caused a lot of misery and discontent for some time afterwards, and remains the reason why Ken and I swore never to set foot in the place again.

I honestly don't care enough about Leicester Speedway these days to be bothered about what the stand is called but I must admit, the expediency in that club statement did make me laugh out loud.

Edited by LionsDen
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, LionsDen said:

As someone who was closely involved in the whole project of getting speedway back to Leicester, as both part of Leicester Speedway Ltd's organising committee and also as Secretary of the LSSC at the time, I'm assuming this 'information' has been put forward by Hemsley given that the present regime were not in place back 2011. The statement misses out an awful lot of the background story to the construction of that stand, and crucially, the paying for it. The LSSC raised well over £5k for that concrete terrace, with our people also helping to build it. The back straight was originally going to be a continuation of the earth berm around the bends until we put this proposal forward. The cost of the ironwork, which did indeed cost more than the terrace, was actually funded by the waste tipping but sadly, ended up as a legal battle that caused a lot of misery and discontent for some time afterwards, and remains the reason why Ken and I swore never to set foot in the place again.

I honestly don't care enough about Leicester Speedway these days to be bothered about what the stand is called but I must admit, the expediency in that club statement did make me laugh out loud.

There are still quite a number of people around now who were around at the time the stadium was constructed, including the current press officer.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Happy Hunter said:
18 hours ago, Happy Hunter said:

There are still quite a number of people around now who were around at the time the stadium was constructed, including the current press officer.

And this reply was from one of them!

1 hour ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

Self Indulgence at its finest . Why anyone would moan about additional income into their club is beyond me .  

And so why are you a  Former Brummies fan?

2 hours ago, Skodaman said:

And so why are you a  Former Brummies fan?

I am not . I am not sure why it says that to be honest . What i have not done though is ask for a plaque or constant recognition for bringing lots of sponsorship to Birmingham speedway over recent years including securing the main team sponsor for 3 consecutive years .