British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Leicester Lions 2020

4 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Its not the "Top" of the sport it purveys right through it

Regards
THJ

Did a double take then, didn't have my reading glasses on and thought it was purvy right through it! That could also be true as well I suppose.

• Haha 1

On 11/2/2020 at 9:22 AM, Barrow Boy 2 said:

Hope he gets help elsewhere them. I really rate Ellis Perks who is a rider who is still capable of improving  and going on to become a top rider.

It's official then. Ellis Perks has not agreed terms and has decided to take a year out. 

On 11/19/2020 at 8:35 AM, Barrow Boy 2 said:

It's official then. Ellis Perks has not agreed terms and has decided to take a year out. 

Such a shame as he had such a good 2019 season. 
I see he has had to sell off some of his equipment  to balance the books which the troubles caused by Covid as no doubt contributed to. 
Slightly surprising that the offer from Leicester couldn’t be complimented with a deal from a Prem team that would enable him to more than make ends meet. 
However this maybe a prime example of just how tight money is for up and coming riders particularly when a significant sponsor has to pull out due to the current economic climate. 
Good luck to Ellis in his newly chosen career path with hope that if he so wishes he can find a way back onto the track as and when things improve. 

1 hour ago, 1 valve said:

Such a shame as he had such a good 2019 season. 
I see he has had to sell off some of his equipment  to balance the books which the troubles caused by Covid as no doubt contributed to. 
Slightly surprising that the offer from Leicester couldn’t be complimented with a deal from a Prem team that would enable him to more than make ends meet. 
However this maybe a prime example of just how tight money is for up and coming riders particularly when a significant sponsor has to pull out due to the current economic climate. 
Good luck to Ellis in his newly chosen career path with hope that if he so wishes he can find a way back onto the track as and when things improve. 

It is a shame because I feel that he was heading for better things. Leicester will miss him because by vastly improving his average  he was probably the main reason for Leicester's title winning achievement.  I wish him well and hope that he returns to the fold when he feels it is  right to do so.

On 11/19/2020 at 8:35 AM, Barrow Boy 2 said:

I am, like many I'm sure, very disappointed by this news. Elllis not only made history last year, but made a lot of fans by his never give up attitude. From a short conversation I had with him, he also struck me as a decent bloke.

I am a little dismayed by Stewart Dickson saying he is unhappy about comments made by Ellis (?). I really hope that Ellis might return to the sport in the future and my sincere desire is that no bridges have been burnt with Leicester.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, False dawn said:

I am, like many I'm sure, very disappointed by this news. Elllis not only made history last year, but made a lot of fans by his never give up attitude. From a short conversation I had with him, he also struck me as a decent bloke.

I am a little dismayed by Stewart Dickson saying he is unhappy about comments made by Ellis (?). I really hope that Ellis might return to the sport in the future and my sincere desire is that no bridges have been burnt with Leicester.

I fear bridges may have well & truly been burned between the pair. Ellis was good for us no doubt would have been good again in 2021 but i understand Ellis asked for top end Championship wages for a rider who ultimately is 5th in the averages , I don’t blame Ellis because that is what he needs to make racing a living & feel for him that he will have to miss out in 2021 for non  injury reasons

48 minutes ago, Lionspride said:

I fear bridges may have well & truly been burned between the pair. Ellis was good for us no doubt would have been good again in 2021 but i understand Ellis asked for top end Championship wages for a rider who ultimately is 5th in the averages , I don’t blame Ellis because that is what he needs to make racing a living & feel for him that he will have to miss out in 2021 for non  injury reasons

I know Ellis has close links to the West Midlands.

Uncle Dave was from Black Country and I saw Neil Evitts with Ellis a few times.

Would seem like a perfect fit for Brummies to replace Garrity?

I think a few will have heard about Leicester being late to pay a few riders at times in 2019. 

Ellis and Jack Thomas both went public and Stewart Dickson has acknowledged it to be true and fair do,s for that.

May be Ellis wanted better deal as security but surely will be in demand from a number of CL clubs

10 hours ago, HGould said:

I know Ellis has close links to the West Midlands.

Uncle Dave was from Black Country and I saw Neil Evitts with Ellis a few times.

Would seem like a perfect fit for Brummies to replace Garrity?

I think a few will have heard about Leicester being late to pay a few riders at times in 2019. 

Ellis and Jack Thomas both went public and Stewart Dickson has acknowledged it to be true and fair do,s for that.

May be Ellis wanted better deal as security but surely will be in demand from a number of CL clubs

Think you are all being too optimistic,if he has got rid of most of his equipment and has a steady income from other employment then I doubt very much you will see him back.only my opinion though

19 minutes ago, Moranboys said:

Think you are all being too optimistic,if he has got rid of most of his equipment and has a steady income from other employment then I doubt very much you will see him back.only my opinion though

Back in the good old days thats what most riders done, full time job speedway good paid hobby just a thought!

• Like 2

Happy to be corrected as this is making a presumption, but do riders' racing styles and their setups make a significant difference to wear and tear of their machinery and therefore their costs over a season? Ellis rode a lot of races during 2019, I only saw him at Leicester both for Lions and Cubs, but he was always giving it full gun for 4 laps, even if he was half a lap ahead as was often the case with the Cubs.

7 man teams then for 2021 as SD has previously announced that the other 6 signed for 2020 will ride in 2021. Not sure what the effect of flight restrictions to and from Oz will be. Oz Govt have said some restrictions are likely to be in place until end of 2021.

42 minutes ago, Happy Hunter said:

7 man teams then for 2021 as SD has previously announced that the other 6 signed for 2020 will ride in 2021. Not sure what the effect of flight restrictions to and from Oz will be. Oz Govt have said some restrictions are likely to be in place until end of 2021.

Any Aussie rider will be able to leave here whenever they want, depending on what restrictions are like in the UK. They can also fly back in to Aus when they like , as long as they spend around $3500 for two weeks in hotel quarantine. 

1 hour ago, Barrow Boy 2 said:

SD has announced that he has signed a rider to replace Ellis Perks but can't say who yet.

Lewis Bridger then? Average will be under 6.5