British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Leicester Lions 2020

16 hours ago, Big Al said:

Isn't it a question of what is reasonable. If the wind blows the roof off, whose fault is it and who is responsible for repair. What sort of things could the tenant be reasonably expected to adopt resposonsibility for maintaining, and which should be sole responsibility of the landlord? I've been telling my landlord for several months that the gutters need to be cleared out and that weather will cause damage if he doesn't, but  I am not responsible for getting the job done; it isn't within my powers to prevent the gutters from clogging up. But it absolutely is my responsibility to keep the interior clean and in a good general state.

It's often an excuse used, the times I've heard "it's totally beyond our control" at a Speedway meeting for the state of the facilities. If I was living in a rented house and there was a leak in the ceiling and it kept dripping on my invited guests head and my guests stopped visiting me I'd have to think about doing something about it

17 hours ago, Big Al said:

Isn't it a question of what is reasonable. If the wind blows the roof off, whose fault is it and who is responsible for repair. What sort of things could the tenant be reasonably expected to adopt resposonsibility for maintaining, and which should be sole responsibility of the landlord? I've been telling my landlord for several months that the gutters need to be cleared out and that weather will cause damage if he doesn't, but  I am not responsible for getting the job done; it isn't within my powers to prevent the gutters from clogging up. But it absolutely is my responsibility to keep the interior clean and in a good general state.

There are significant differences between domestic & commercial leases. 
As a landlord of domestic properties I am responsible for covering the cost of repairing everything other than general wear and tear which is (supposedly) covered by the tenants deposit. 
As a tenant of an industrial unit I am responsible for maintaining the property to the standard it was handed to me on the basis of a full repairing lease. If the roof blows off then i would need to make it good (arrange repairs) which is why I have suitable insurance in place to cover such risks. 
With regards to the missing roof covering at Leicester, the repair is more than likely down to the promoters who clearly for now do not see it as a priority to do so. If the lease ends without it being adequately addressed then the landlord would charge them a dilapidation cost.  

On 1/7/2020 at 11:33 AM, poole keith said:

in the process of booking fri night accommodation for the pairs,if the fours was on a sunday at peterborough different w/end, would have done that as well but not all the same w/end

I tend to agree, strange decision to hold on the same weekend and at Leicester. Peterborough in my opinion is it’s spiritual home go every year. Leicester will cope with the rider numbers but the racing could be a little to be desired ie hit and miss for an event of this nature and that’s coming from a lions fan.. that said if the weather holds and traffic clear we shall drop by after Cardiff. 

BSC are liable for any repairs & up keep of the actual stadium buildings,stands & the land. So the missing canvas falls on BSC for the repairs.

The current promotion are liable to repairs to items related to speedway. Tractor’s, pits area  , air fence etc 

Last i heard speaking to Mr Bates Snr at Glasgow play off match next season there will be extra turnstiles opened for high attended meetings & they were in discussions with the shopping centre about using the shopping centre car park with a charge to park which would waiver the 4 hour limit.

Best news I've heard this year. Got fined once... not gone back.... a promoter with sense.... could be a break thru'.... I've Stopped shopping at Tesco and drinking Banks' beer as well... they caused this... not the speedway.... which only over ran by 20 min :o

• Like 1

On 1/12/2020 at 10:56 PM, Lenny Lion said:

BSC are liable for any repairs & up keep of the actual stadium buildings,stands & the land. So the missing canvas falls on BSC for the repairs.

The current promotion are liable to repairs to items related to speedway. Tractor’s, pits area  , air fence etc 

Last i heard speaking to Mr Bates Snr at Glasgow play off match next season there will be extra turnstiles opened for high attended meetings & they were in discussions with the shopping centre about using the shopping centre car park with a charge to park which would waiver the 4 hour limit.

Any comment on this please, 1 Valve?

In 2017 the Supporter's Club made a donation of £2500 to the promoters towards the cost of the repair to wind damage to the roof on the stand on the home straight. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Big Al said:

Any comment on this please, 1 Valve?

On the matter of the repairs. As I said in my first post on the subject it will depend on the appropriate clause in the lease. It appears that the landlord has not passed on the responsibility in the agreement so it would be down to the lessee to ask for the repairs to be done and the landlord to comply. However, if this is indeed the case there is a question as to why (as reported by Happy Hunter) the supporters clubs donation was accepted by the promoter (assuming it was the Bates led promotion?) 

Regarding extra turn styles/entrances. Excellent news as clearly the current limit of two have proven on a number of occasions to be woefully inadequate.

Car parking...well a charge for parking will of course be new to attendees at the Lions unless it is proposed that an agreed fixed fee will be  paid by the organisers  and not charged to the speedway fan. Also not clear is if there will be a section of the car park cordoned off for speedway "parkers" as  the shoppers will not be expected to pay for parking so there is a need to clearly identify whos/who.

Hopefully all three of the above will get sorted with a positive outcome in a timely manner.

1 hour ago, Cross Roads said:

Any track alterations planned pre season

Track work started straight after the season finished and is on going, no major alterations, a lot of time and effort being put in to repair certain areas of the track,

• Like 1

No alterations oh that’s a lot of people not attending then...decent venue no alterations that’s a shame 

• Like 1

The bends have already been altered so I shouldn't think anything else can be done, apart from what is happening ~ repairing certain areas of the track.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Shrimmy said:

No alterations oh that’s a lot of people not attending then...decent venue no alterations that’s a shame 

The previous track alterations were significant and resulted in considerable improvement in racing and passing opportunities for faster riders not having made the gate. 
Unfortunately towards the latter stages of the season due to wear and tear the track surface became damaged and bumpy in key areas which from reports are in the process of being properly addressed. 
So have no fear that for 2020 the fours will have a great venue both on & off the track which hopefully a large crowd will enjoy Although the nonsensical clash of dates with the pairs and Cardiff may play a larger part than concerns about the track in reducing attendance. 

Edited by 1 valve
  • Like 2

Spoke to many riders who said the track was ruined by the 1000cc sidecars, that dug holes in the worst possible places and were never repaired properly. Never been a fan of sidecars on a speedway track personally.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1