British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Grachan

Should the points limit be set to the highest team average from the previous season?

Have an independent control board run the sport. 

Then put in a cap on the total amount of wages a club can pay it riders. So for argument sake a clubs had a wage cap of 10000 per meeting that would be upto the clubs how that was shared out among the 7 riders.

If you wanted to go bulls out and sign 2 big expensive riders then fine but that would limit who you could sign further down.

To make it work the riders are paid centrally from the independent body that runs the sport each club pays the 10000 to the central body after each home match. 

The end to average manipulation 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Spl77 said:

Have an independent control board run the sport. 

Then put in a cap on the total amount of wages a club can pay it riders. So for argument sake a clubs had a wage cap of 10000 per meeting that would be upto the clubs how that was shared out among the 7 riders.

If you wanted to go bulls out and sign 2 big expensive riders then fine but that would limit who you could sign further down.

To make it work the riders are paid centrally from the independent body that runs the sport each club pays the 10000 to the central body after each home match. 

The end to average manipulation 

Been mentioned a few times over the years as a possible mechanic to keep things more equal, however, the threat is that you can still manipulate the figures through extra sponsorship for riders outside of a salary cap...

Meaning you will still get some teams being able to afford more of the better riders than others can. But still officially pay out the salary cap.

If you could have clear regulated control then it definitely could work. Rugby in both codes are strong in punishing breaches of the cap so it does have merit...

Super League, in particular, have flexed their muscles a few times over the years to those who have breached the cap and the cap has shared the Grand Final trophy around a fair few teams, with a decent spread of others reaching the Final too..

And Union this week have reacted very severely to Saracens dominance over the past few years through allegedly exceeding what was agreed by all teams..

Looking at most clubs I would think £7k a match for Premiership and £5k for Championship would be nearer the affordability mark as £10k per match would need nearly a £30k income from each home match to pay for the two meetings, home and away, that it covers..

You would like to think that as winning a domestic Speedway title carries such little reward that Promoters might adhere to such a plan given it would help keep then solvent and keep clubs relatively equal..

As, unlike Sports that get major media coverage and financial rewards through success, Speedway doesn't have that temptation to get around any restrictions..

And anything that prevents a Promoter having to manipulate an average to build a team, or riders to improve their chances of a team place the following year, has to benefit the sport and it's fans..

What just any U21?

If so last year Kings Lynn could've effectively built to 50 points with GP rider Robert Lambert at 7 ....

Is that really what you want?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/10/2019 at 8:44 AM, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

What just any U21?

If so last year Kings Lynn could've effectively built to 50 points with GP rider Robert Lambert at 7 ....

Is that really what you want?

Clearly he means a under 21 Brit capped at a certain average level. Any ideas to get British reserve's back rather than a foreign ringer is good enough for me. 

• Like 3

Re points limit back in the day when almost all the riders rode here I would be all for it as every club would be able to reach the new points limit.But today with the limited riders wanting to ride here no chance there would be some very weak teams which would leave us with boring uneven meetings  and a boring uneven league.Theres already talk of riders giving our league a miss next year ie Fricke, Covatti  etc so how the hell do all the teams build to a 46 + average.Only my opinion but I honestly can't see how it can be done.

Edited by B.V 72

45 minutes ago, thecoombdog said:

Clearly he means a under 21 Brit capped at a certain average level. Any ideas to get British reserve's back rather than a foreign ringer is good enough for me. 

That would mean Rowe, Kemp, Kinsley, Edwards, Flint, Bickley, and Brennan riding in these positions.

23 minutes ago, B.V 72 said:

Re points limit back in the day when almost all the riders rode here I would be all for it as every club would be able to reach the new points limit.But today with the limited riders wanting to ride here no chance there would be some very weak teams which would leave us with boring uneven meetings  and a boring uneven league.Theres already talk of riders giving our league a miss next year ie Fricke, Covatti  etc so how the hell do all the teams build to a 46 + average.Only my opinion but I honestly can't see how it can be done.

You’re basing Fricke and Covatti leaving on rumour.

Just the same as the rumour that Nicki P might come back!

A couple of weeks ago Klindt was leaving too but now he’s being linked with Ipswich.

6 minutes ago, arnieg said:

That would mean Rowe, Kemp, Kinsley, Edwards, Flint, Bickley, and Brennan riding in these positions.

How old are Bacon, Mountain, Hume and Bowtell?

15 minutes ago, DC2 said:

How old are Bacon, Mountain, Hume and Bowtell?

26, 22, 23 & 23 ...

5 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

26, 22, 23 & 23 ...

Blimey, didn’t realise Tom Bacon was that old.  Thanks for the research!

1 hour ago, thecoombdog said:

But it wasnt clearly and that's the problem. Often a regulations CLEARLY have a particular intention but generally you find a team or 2 twisting it in a literal sense for an advantage

If it is then changed to stop a manipulation it invariably means it then affects another rider the original intent didn't mean to exclude

People often want black and white but then still expect to be able to add their own subjective view

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

Don't think that would be a bad thing if they were protected at 7.