British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kipper

Split Waterman

There is a half page obituary in the Daily Telegraph today of Split Waterman, who has died aged 96.

His is a name I remember from my early days at Poole in the very late 40s and early 50s.  I can remember him riding (in my memory, which might be faulty)with and against such names as Ken Middleditch, Jimmy Squibb and Cyril Quick.

I always thought Split was Australian, but he turns out to have been born in the UK and after his speedway career had a varied career which included spells in jail in this country and in Europe.   He was also mixed in with the Krays, apparently.

I can't remember much about his riding, except that he was pretty quick and one of the left-foot trailers.

I thought he'd popped off a long time ago.   So RIP Split.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Kipper said:

There is a half page obituary in the Daily Telegraph today of Split Waterman, who has died aged 96.

His is a name I remember from my early days at Poole in the very late 40s and early 50s.  I can remember him riding (in my memory, which might be faulty)with and against such names as Ken Middleditch, Jimmy Squibb and Cyril Quick.

I always thought Split was Australian, but he turns out to have been born in the UK and after his speedway career had a varied career which included spells in jail in this country and in Europe.   He was also mixed in with the Krays, apparently.

I can't remember much about his riding, except that he was pretty quick and one of the left-foot trailers.

I thought he'd popped off a long time ago.   So RIP Split.

You missed this thread then

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Midland Red said:

You missed this thread then

It is easy to miss a thread in the lesser read sections. 

• Like 1

Agree Ray. I never go in the Years Gone By section.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

2 hours ago, Gemini said:

Agree Ray. I never go in the Years Gone By section.

Those of us who visit Years Gone By section regularly haven't  exactly missed either of you!

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, gustix said:

Those of us who visit Years Gone By section.regularly haven't  exactly missed either of you!

I don't suppose you have missed me. I didn't mean it to sound as though I was knocking the subject/section. It's just that the forum creators have 'buried' 'Years Gone By' to the bottom. I was just supporting 'Kipper' for why he may not have realised the passing of Split was in another section. I didn't realise either, so was glad Kipper posted it where he did. And don't be so flipping touchy!   

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, gustix said:

Those of us who visit Years Gone By section regularly haven't  exactly missed either of you!

Gee thanks. If I read every section I would be on here all day and I only tend to look at the League ones and General Discussions. No need to be so rude as it wasn't a derogatory comment but just backing up that it's easy to not see certain posts. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, gustix said:

6 hours ago, Gemini said:

Gee thanks. If I read every section I would be on here all day and I only tend to look at the League ones and General Discussions. No need to be so rude as it wasn't a derogatory comment but just backing up that it's easy to not see certain posts. 

I didn't intend my comment to be regarded as rude or derisory as some Posters may think! I thought it was humorous but obviously that was not the case. Sincere apologies to those who I upset. 

8 hours ago, gustix said:

I didn't intend my comment to be regarded as rude or derisory as some Posters may think! I thought it was humorous but obviously that was not the case. Sincere apologies to those who I upset. 

Have you ever considered using emojis like many of us do to clarify our intent?

10 minutes ago, chunky said:

Have you ever considered using emojis like many of us do to clarify our intent?

Just out of interest, how do you do that?

I don't have a computer only a phone but whenever I try to put one it says content not allowed?

That's the trouble with texting and social media all over though isn't it? Without the expression or emotion of speech things often get taken the wrong way.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

Just out of interest, how do you do that?

I don't have a computer only a phone but whenever I try to put one it says content not allowed?

Hmmmm... I prefer posting on my computer (it's easier for me to see!), but I have no problem using them on my phone. I just click on the one I want, and it posts it without issue. I would say it's more likely to be something in the forum settings than on your phone, but I couldn't swear to it.

Hey, just had a thought! You are not trying to enter emojis directly from your keyboard (rather than from the bar above your post), are you?

1 minute ago, chunky said:

Hmmmm... I prefer posting on my computer (it's easier for me to see!), but I have no problem using them on my phone. I just click on the one I want, and it posts it without issue. I would say it's more likely to be something in the forum settings than on your phone, but I couldn't swear to it.

Hey, just had a thought! You are not trying to enter emojis directly from your keyboard (rather than from the bar above your post), are you?

Err yes :blush:

Thanks!

:)

1 minute ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

Err yes :blush:

Thanks!

:)

Don't feel bad; I catch myself doing that too, occasionally! :cheers:

• Like 1