British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
keepturningleft

Wall Of Death Film

Have sent for this film and awaiting arrival. My late mother always claimed there was a film about Speedway staring Jimmy  Handley    but I have never tracked it down.  

Here's another with a speedway yheme.

• Thanks 1

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 6:57 PM, keepturningleft said:

We all know about 'Once A Jolly Swagman', but I'm amazed I never been aware of this film which features some good action from Walthamstow later on in the film..

Was mentioned a few years back, but easily missed I guess. Especially as it was in the Years gone by section ,which seems for some t be buried away and far too hard to find. But mentioned that the track, which looks great especially that pits area where the crowd overlook all the riders, was the old Walthamstow track

On 10/24/2019 at 6:05 PM, wealdstone said:

Have sent for this film and awaiting arrival. My late mother always claimed there was a film about Speedway staring Jimmy  Handley    but I have never tracked it down.  

If you mean Jimmy Hanley, the only film I know of where he rides motorcycles was The Black Rider but it wasn't Speedway.

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 3:53 PM, Celticman said:

I think that in his early days Ronnie Moore rode the wall of death

An interesting compilation of speedway riders who have tackled the Wall of Death

http://www.vintagewallofdeath.co.uk/Vintage_Wall_of_Death/Speedway_riders.html

• Like 1

Very interesting.  The boxer who got knocked out at the start of the film was a rather young Arthur Mullard. I also noticed Harry Fowler, seen in many films and one of the original "Army Game" stars. The lovely Jennifer Jayne also starred, I remember her from "William Tell" shown in black and white during my childhood. I was too young to ever go to Walthamstow before Speedway finished, but did manage to visit Hackney, West Ham, Wimbledon and Wembley many times. Although I was brought up in Norfolk, I was born in Ilford so have many East End connections.

The latest film to include speedway should be known by Eastbourne fans but maybe not the wider speedway community, it's called Adventure Boys and was released in 2019. Have a look at the link below 

https://youtu.be/rVJ8K6DSTmE