British Speedway Forum
Dansdad

If you want to know what’s wrong with British speedway

This picture shows the mess that British speedway has got itself into, by constantly cutting costs and averages. 

A team full of GP riders from 1-6 with only stead who probably wouldn’t be a heat leader in today’s league. With three genuine world class riders. 

15 years  later Jason Doyle is probably the only rider who would have a chance to be world champion next season,  And that is a big ask with the injuries he’s had. Even the British number 1 doesn’t wish to ride here. And that’s a loss, especially when you see the respect he has for Peter Adams.

At the AGM I suggest  the promoters should look at this picture and other teams from that year. Ask themselves how they could increase the participation from world class riders.

Poland were nothing years ago. And they took the sport to another level by promoting the sport and giving value for money entertainment. TV will always pay for entertainment and well promoted sport. If it’s a value to them.

Cost cutting had left the sport without any more cloth to cut!!  

This is not to create a Poole bashing thread. Just a genuine observation from someone who has become so disillusioned and bored watching the sport that I supported as boy in the eighties.

602D8CA1-B2F5-4F3B-A935-77DA1C0872B6.jpeg

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 12:28 PM, Dansdad said:

At the AGM I suggest  the promoters should look at this picture and other teams from that year.

602D8CA1-B2F5-4F3B-A935-77DA1C0872B6.jpeg

And they would say: " Those were the days. Right, let's crack on! ".

Where does the money come from to attract this sort of team?

Attendances overall are probably down, that is not because of a lack of world class riders, maybe a small % is but you would need to quadruple attendance to generate a gate to even consider having 2 world class riders in the same team never mind 6

Poland didn't grow through promoting the sport and offering value for money in terms of ticket pricing

They grew from local government backing, tv backing, a shed load of sponsorship, in fact polish speedway could give tickets to fans for free and survive healthily...

No TV company will give British speedway the money to compete with Poland, they had that before and failed to utilise it.

The next 5 years is all about watering it down as much as possibly year-on-year offering the opportunity for younger riders to progress through the divisions and hopefully after 5 years we have a batch of 16-23 yr old riders who are making up 50% of most teams.

• Like 6

I blame Poole and Ford, its all their fault:t:

And I blame Adidas for bringing back all the old school classics 

Edited by Baldyman
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Baldyman said:

I blame Poole and Ford, its all their fault:t:

And I blame Adidas for bringing back all the old school classics 

deffo blame poole

And I blame Cadbury’s for bringing back the wispa but not the wispa gold

8 minutes ago, 89buttons said:

deffo blame poole

Cadburys has not tasted the same since the sell off to Mondelez who changed the ingredients. Just tastes of slimy cheap and nasty palm oil these days. That's progress for you :cry:

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, 89buttons said:

deffo blame poole

Is that the caramel one? 

To be honest the GP series has grown into a huge part of the sport  and British sp/way just faded away for a multitude of reasons all have been debated and little has been done .The social landscape has changed dramatically and we have to face the fact that the only thing to bring top riders is money but they are not guranteed to bring the fans through the gates.IMO all league s/way( particularly in this country ) is long term a feeder stream for the GP series  .

I genuinely believe had Doyle enjoyed success much earlier in his career  at  the top level  of the sport he would not be riding in the PL .He has come to the party late and is making "hay while the sun shines" not least of which because of the many serious injuries he has collected along the way which will impede and curtail his career ultimately .

Edited by FAST GATER
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Is that the caramel one? 

That’s the one! That and toffee crisps were my childhood in a nutshell, along with Reebok classics

1 hour ago, 89buttons said:

That’s the one! That and toffee crisps were my childhood in a nutshell, along with Reebok classics

You need to get on to them about it as you can buy Wispa Gold in a hot chocolate powder. 

2 hours ago, 89buttons said:

deffo blame poole

Wispa Gold has been re-launched and is available in Tesco

44 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Omg I gotta get some wispa gold on the way home from work. They sound the dogs dangleys 

Similar, but less salty and somewhat sweeter than the dangleys  ;)

3 hours ago, Blupanther said:

Cadburys has not tasted the same since the sell off to Mondelez who changed the ingredients. Just tastes of slimy cheap and nasty palm oil these days. That's progress for you :cry:

Palm oil or not Cadbury’s still is and always has been, in all of its guises, 45% sugar.

• Like 1