British Speedway Forum
Dansdad

If you want to know what’s wrong with British speedway

42 minutes ago, Bonzodog said:

My first post here as only recently discovered speedway even though I'm in my late 40s. 

Coming at it from a newcomer I can see the point of concentrating on the target audience of the middle aged. However I would assume the majority of these people discovered the sport as kids so I still think kids should be targeted more.

I have been going for last 3 months with my two daughters (13 and 9) and they absolutely love it. They dont understand or would be bothered that most races finish as they start from the gate. They love the smell, the roar of the engines and interacting with the riders afterwards. By the time they are older and are more aware of the politics behind the sport they will already be hooked.

To a child this sport is still very exciting...as long as they know about it. I asked my eldest to bring her friend to the last meeting and they were instantly hooked too even though the races were poor.

What smell is that ?

• Like 1

Must be the burger van or chips, as it doesn't smell anymore, it hasn't for a long time. 

I've tried to get my partners young son to come more than once, not interested, it's boring he says. When it comes on the TV he goes to his room. Asked what he doesn't like, he says nothing happens, they just go round, yeah it looks fast and dangerous, but nothing really happens. Now having said all that, he has no interest in any of the other motorsports either.  What he does watch is football, and he is mad for mma, he is up all hours watching that. 

The answer to your question is simply not enough people go to watch speedway in the UK . 

However you dress it up that is the answer. All the various attempts at tinkering with the rules to cut costs, putting the sport on TV, developing young British riders,  have failed to increase attendances. 
With current attendance levels I am surprised that professional speedway can be sustained in the UK. 

7 hours ago, Baldyman said:

But the lost ones are lost for a reason, they already know how poor a product it is, how boring it can be, and that it's such rubbish value for money.   Why would they be enticed back? 

I've said on here before (several times) but mine were lost because of the cost. Two of mine turned 16 early in the school year so despite still being in full time education and doing GCSEs and thus unable to go out and get a job, they were expected to pay full adult price. The student price (which was still too high) was not available to them because they were not old enough to get a student card, a requirement of the student admission price.

Eldest is now 26, he has been to a few of meetings in the years since, no more than 5 I would say. Middle son is 23 and hasn't been since the day he turned 16...both still like speedway but firstly university (neither went anywhere with a track in close proximity) and now careers/partners/saving for mortgages etc has got in the way.

Youngest is the outlier, he didn't much care for speedway at league level and stopped going before he reached 16 but would go to GP speedway in a heartbeat. 

11 hours ago, Bonzodog said:

My first post here as only recently discovered speedway even though I'm in my late 40s. 

Coming at it from a newcomer I can see the point of concentrating on the target audience of the middle aged. However I would assume the majority of these people discovered the sport as kids so I still think kids should be targeted more.

I have been going for last 3 months with my two daughters (13 and 9) and they absolutely love it. They dont understand or would be bothered that most races finish as they start from the gate. They love the smell, the roar of the engines and interacting with the riders afterwards. By the time they are older and are more aware of the politics behind the sport they will already be hooked.

To a child this sport is still very exciting...as long as they know about it. I asked my eldest to bring her friend to the last meeting and they were instantly hooked too even though the races were poor.

My kids too were the same..

The issue though is they didnt pay to get in so whether there or not BV didn't make any money...

As they got older and into their teens. Of the two, my lad rather than my daughter was the one who badgered me to keep going, however when he got to 14 or so he started to take the pee somewhat as to the contrived nonsense of select teams (didn't ring true to him as legit, given he was/is an avid football fan who attends games regularly) and became quite indifferent to attending when the 'teams' were made up..

He does though still (now 16), love watching Speedway racing and watches Poland, Sweden and the UK on TV every week, and loves to attend Cardiff, and always wants to attend any FIM events that are based at the NSS. (SON, World U21 etc)..

Will he still attend when he has to pay for himself? For FIM events very much probably yes. For UK League Speedway,  (unless it becomes credible), quite definitely no...

In summary. Focusing on the 40/50/60 something ex fans, and try and to get them back, would be easier than engaging 16 year old kids, and will return more income..

Prices need to be dropped to compensate for the drop in standard. 

it’s no good dropping the standard every year and hiking up the prices. It’s all about value for money. 

I’d never buy a program but assume most do, so on average say it’s £20 admission for an adult. For what? To stand around for two hours watching 15 minutes of racing. The rest of the time is filled with tractor racing, an out of touch presenter waffling on about scores from the week previous which 99 percent of fans will know anyway. Music from the 70s. It’s just not the in thing anymore. 

speedway, in the UK at least, is a 10 pound sport at best. A lot of people value 20 quid a week and is a lot of money to them. That’s before they’ve bought a few pints, a burger, the kids drink and food etc. 

There is absolutely no value for money in speedway in the UK 9.9 times out of 10. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

The answer to your question is simply not enough people go to watch speedway in the UK . 

However you dress it up that is the answer. All the various attempts at tinkering with the rules to cut costs, putting the sport on TV, developing young British riders,  have failed to increase attendances. 
With current attendance levels I am surprised that professional speedway can be sustained in the UK. 

MORE racing, passing, team riding .....whatever it takes, these are the answer imo

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pinny said:

an out of touch presenter waffling on about scores from the week previous which 99 percent of fans will know anyway. Music from the 70s. It’s just not the in thing anymore. 

That's very interesting.  As I said above I've not been going long so only have my experience at Monmore to go on. Here the music is predominantly up to date which the kids like and the presenter I think is great. He interacts with the crowd inbetween races in a very positive and humorous way.  I suppose every track is going to have different opinions on who they appeal to.

• Like 1

Music from the 70's 80's 90's doesnt seem to upset the fans at Polish or Swedish tracks, the latter even having to put up with grass banks to sit/stand on.

18 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Music from the 70's 80's 90's doesnt seem to upset the fans at Polish or Swedish tracks, the latter even having to put up with grass banks to sit/stand on.

Not sure Swedish speedway is the best example to use at the moment?

Anyway decent up to date music is an easy fix, a quick win. Same with clean, pleasant to use toilets. They are basics which every track should be able to manage. Any little thing which can be done to make a speedway supporter’s evening out a little bit better and make them want to return. Unfortunately I think many  promoters are lazy and complacent. 

1 minute ago, Bagpuss said:

Not sure Swedish speedway is the best example to use at the moment?

Anyway decent up to date music is an easy fix, a quick win. Same with clean, pleasant to use toilets. They are basics which every track should be able to manage. Any little thing which can be done to make a speedway supporter’s evening out a little bit better and make them want to return. Unfortunately I think many  promoters are lazy and complacent. 

I agree.  'Decent music' is such a subjective thing especially when your audience is of an older demographic. At Poole this year a new music set was introduced and lasted only a few weeks before reverting to the old one. Riders have their individual music tracks for when they win a race.

Similarly the tannoy - some say its too loud - others can't hear it clearly.

12 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I agree.  'Decent music' is such a subjective thing especially when your audience is of an older demographic. At Poole this year a new music set was introduced and lasted only a few weeks before reverting to the old one. Riders have their individual music tracks for when they win a race.

Yes, there’s no way your average speedway fan wants to suffer two hours’ rapping, just to attract a few twenty year olds, but it shouldn’t be hard to have a playlist of upbeat anthems that would appeal to all generations.

Smoke On The Water, Gimme Shelter, Sympathy For The Devil, Don’t Fear The Reaper, Bat Out Of Hell, Champagne Supernova, Bitter Sweet Symphony, I Predict A Riot, What’s That Coming Over The Hill ..... and whatever the modern ones are!  That sort of thing.

If there were more clubs like Swindon the sport wouldn't be in such a mess. Fantastic promotion, altered track producing better racing, and increased crowds. Over 3000 at the final, grown shirtless men singing and dancing, great night. But it should be like that every week. Will be back to1200 next year, with little atmosphere. Look at Poland, crowds of 10000.

12 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Yes, there’s no way your average speedway fan wants to suffer two hours’ rapping, just to attract a few twenty year olds, but it shouldn’t be hard to have a playlist of upbeat anthems that would appeal to all generations.

Smoke On The Water, Gimme Shelter, Sympathy For The Devil, Don’t Fear The Reaper, Bat Out Of Hell, Champagne Supernova, Bitter Sweet Symphony, I Predict A Riot, What’s That Coming Over The Hill ..... and whatever the modern ones are!  That sort of thing.

Not forgetting Hi Ho Swindon Robins, and Dakota, played 3 times at Swindon end of season bash!

Edited by auntie doris

1 minute ago, auntie doris said:

Not forgetting Hi Ho Swindon Robins

In the Macari years Swindon FC used to run onto the pitch to Fanfare For The Common Man.

That’s the sort of thing you need to build the atmosphere and create a bit of excitement. Dim the lights and play that loud as the riders come onto the track, not Rockin Robin and Pom Pom girls.