British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
martinmauger

Speedway On 'The Chase'

My mum told me a speedway fan was on the TV quiz programme 'The Chase' last week sometime.  From what my mum recalls "I think she was called Jackie, supported Sheffield and rode on a speedway track 'on non-official days'.  "If she won 'Jackie' said she'd treat herself and her boyfriend to a trip to a big World Championship meeting abroad somewhere, I think it was Poland."  I asked if the woman said a Grand Prix in Torun and my mum said she thought that is what 'Jackie' said. 

'Jackie', if you are reading this, I'd do exactly the same; riding and taking in the Torun GP :party:....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling
  • Like 1

I suppose that means I am going to be searching  through all The Chase programmes on catch up last week now. :D

• Haha 2

Well, that'll save me a job, Gem lol. 

I'm sure I would have remembered someone from Sheffield who was a speedway fan!  Unless your Mum was watching repeats on Challenge or the other ITV channels. 

There was a woman on once who said it was the 2nd most popular spectator sport after football - I admire her bigging it up, but sadly it ceased to be that long before The Chase was invented.

• Like 1

Reading the OP, it's almost as if I've watched the show myself anyway :rofl:

• Haha 1

Had a quick look on catch up of last weeks episodes and thought I had cracked it when there was a Jacqui listed on one show. Wizzed through but not the right person so I think Tigerblade is right and they are repeated shows on Challenge or similar that mum was watching.

The give away es when she said she was going to support Doug Wyer at this big world championship meeting in Poland !!! The 1976 world final:rofl:

Totally side-tracking, as this thread seems to be sticking far too closely to the OP for comfort,  for the BSF,. One of the question setters for The Chase, and others quiz shows; notably The Weakest Link and 15-1,  is a friend of mine. Although he has never seen a live meeting he is a big fan of speedway and even had an action photo of Franky Zorn on his board  when at the BBC in London. He is therefore prone to throw the occasional speedway question into these shows, although they are hardly likely to test the average fan; such as how many laps to a heat, how many brakes, how many riders in a race, in what sport is Tai Woffinden a World Champion etc.?  As he says he is happy to give plugs to something he enjoys. 

PS Please send a PM if you know the answers to the above questions as I am really struggling. with a couple. :D

• Like 1

Just to clairify, I just posted a snippet of info I thought posters might find interesting.  I am obviously aware of The Chase but have never seen it all the way through as I don't watch such programmes, quiz shows and the like....

Edited by martinmauger
grammar 2x

There has been a team representing this very forum on Eggheads, some while ago now.  Also teams of Glasgow and Belle Vue fans. 

I saw an old "Bullseye" (circa 1985 if I remember rightly) on Challenge a while ago and one of the couples said they were Poole fans.  

• Like 2

What a shame its now such a minority sport, that if it gets mentioned on tv a thread is started about it. 

Yes. I did see a t-shirt on sale the other yeast with the word speedway on it and a motorbike. But it wasn’t a speedway bike, so I guessed it was some sort of American thing, so decided against starting a thread.
Nearly started one when I saw a red jumper with a yellow star on it, but thought it probably had nothing to do with Wimbledon as it was on sale in Germany. Probably made in Vietnam

• Sad 1

Yes. I did see a t-shirt on sale the other yeast with the word speedway on it and a motorbike. But it wasn’t a speedway bike, so I guessed it was some sort of American thing, so decided against starting a thread.
Nearly started one when I saw a red jumper with a yellow star on it, but thought it probably had nothing to do with Wimbledon as it was on sale in Germany. Probably made in Vietnam

No wonder a lot of people don't bother posting on here anymore when you just get ridiculed.  Perhaps best not to bother replying at all if you're not interested, especially when sentences don't make sense anyway.  What's the other yeast? Are we talking about bread now? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tigerblade said:

There has been a team representing this very forum on Eggheads, some while ago now.  Also teams of Glasgow and Belle Vue fans. 

I saw an old "Bullseye" (circa 1985 if I remember rightly) on Challenge a while ago and one of the couples said they were Poole fans.  

So, are we blaming Poole for killing Bullseye now??? :rofl:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Gemini said:

No wonder a lot of people don't bother posting on here anymore when you just get ridiculed.  Perhaps best not to bother replying at all if you're not interested, especially when sentences don't make sense anyway.  What's the other yeast? Are we talking about bread now? 

Leave him alone; he's on a "roll". You don't "knead" to ridicule him, he just wants a "slice" of the action.

• Haha 4