British Speedway Forum
jenga

workington ..

1 hour ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

Did the fans who purchased season tickets before Workingtons demise get refunded ?

i think your answer is before your post on this thread  . !  it requires reading from the start . there are only two pages to read . the answerIS on this thread ..

oops , now three pages .

Edited by jenga

42 minutes ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

Fromafar alludes to it but doesn’t say it’s season ticket money. 

i think the only the people who bought season tickets for the 2019 season will know whats happening about any reimbursement  of any funds oweing to 2019 season ticket holders . they will be going down the correct routes in order to retrieve money . its a patience game .. sorry to say .

I'm a former season ticket holder but hadn't got round to purchasing a season ticket for 2019 when the sad news we wouldn't be running broke. I personally know four supporters who had purchased season tickets and to date have not been reimbursed. It would be easy to be critical about the financial and business management of the club however, I don't know the full story but I think it fair to say it wasn't financially well managed and the fallout has subsequently detrimentally biased the possibility of somebody else taking it on.

Pretty disgusting that Riders from the best season in History are still waiting to get paid :mad: season ticket holders who bought tickets haven't been re-imbursed I know that for a fact !! That promotion ruined Speedway in Workington , it will never return they've  damaged it that much !!! 

Season ticket holders are very much at the back of the queue: when Birmingham went bust in 2014, I had a ST, but when the company had been wound up, it turned out that the administrators hung on to most of the cash, so we got nothing.

52 minutes ago, jamlad said:

Pretty disgusting that Riders from the best season in History are still waiting to get paid :mad: season ticket holders who bought tickets haven't been re-imbursed I know that for a fact !! That promotion ruined Speedway in Workington , it will never return they've  damaged it that much !!! 

They gave us 4 seasons when no one else wanted too we should not forget at what it has cost laura she deserves some respect for that, the people who ruined the comets are the ones who stopped going each sat night !

• Like 9

I reckon it was 6 seasons Geoff . I seem to remember that Laura initially took it on for 2 seasons with an option to extend. I think 5 years was the original quoted max . It was the treble winning sixth season that got Laura her just rewards and brought success for the diehard fans, it was just really sad that it was at such a financial cost.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, jamlad said:

That promotion ruined Speedway in Workington , it will never return they've  damaged it that much !!! 

They gave us the best, most exciting, finish ever to a season.....e.g. The Glasgow all in a day drama, the massive cup recovery v the Monarchs, the Scunthorpe and Lakeside victories - all unforgettable........brilliant speedway.

As said on here earlier it was those Saturday stay-aways who eventually did the major damage.

I think you are correct though in that "it will never return"...I don't envisage the newly laid Derwent Park pitch being ripped up again to accomodate a speedway track...sadly not.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, geoff100 said:

They gave us 4 seasons when no one else wanted too we should not forget at what it has cost laura she deserves some respect for that, the people who ruined the comets are the ones who stopped going each sat night !

Whatever happened to 'the customer is always right'?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

The customer is always right even though they are wrong:t:

On 11/9/2019 at 6:45 PM, screm said:

I thought that in these instances the bond that the Workington promotion would have paid to the BSPA when they took over the club would take care of these kind of things. You wonder how far down the list outstanding payments to riders actually is.

This is a very complicated issue (administration); however the Bond paid by clubs is an issue in itself; and in this instance will have been around £10k due to the club having assets that potentially could be set against any loss (by being sold off), however the asset system is flawed, and the club bond was due to rise again in 2019. (maybe due to depreciating assets but I don't honestly know) Now I will happily stand corrected but someone from Lakeside could possibly enlighten us; however I am led to believe that the Lakeside promotion were asked for a £50k Bond in their last season which raised a few eyebrows at the time and when Lakeside closed the Bond did not cover what was owed by the promotion and the BSPA went back for more and were told where to go, now that is a very abridged version of what happened to the Bond in that instance but it does indicate that the Bond offers very little protection and when there are losses and debts wracked up in excess of £100k a 10k or 50k bond doesn't go very far. 

4 hours ago, SteelShoe said:

I'm a former season ticket holder but hadn't got round to purchasing a season ticket for 2019 when the sad news we wouldn't be running broke. I personally know four supporters who had purchased season tickets and to date have not been reimbursed. It would be easy to be critical about the financial and business management of the club however, I don't know the full story but I think it fair to say it wasn't financially well managed and the fallout has subsequently detrimentally biased the possibility of somebody else taking it on.

The business plan; which has been discussed on here in the past; was set out at the start of the season and was fit for purpose, unfortunately or fortunately which ever way you wish to look at things; due to the success of the team; which far exceeded everyone's expectations; just blew the budget apart and where the management failing was IMHO; is that there was not the contingency plan in place to finance a successful team; which may seem ironic as you are in it to win it but the team was never built to be treble winners, however the whole thing gained a momentum which was unstoppable and the cost of that success was never budgeted for...

2 hours ago, *JJ said:

Season ticket holders are very much at the back of the queue: when Birmingham went bust in 2014, I had a ST, but when the company had been wound up, it turned out that the administrators hung on to most of the cash, so we got nothing.

Quite correct the Administrators get their slice of any available cash first; and from experience I can share that our company were hit by the ROK PLC collapse in November 2010 and we were owed some £292k and had to pay £51k of VAT (reclaimed back after 6 month as "Bad Debt") and through consequential losses like having to pay our sub contractors and suppliers we lost another £220k so the impact to this business was in excess of £500k. Now guess how much we got back off those nice people at Price Waterhouse Cooper this February 2019, and yes 2019 that's nearly eight and a half years later, any guesses? £847:68 pence, yep we were awarded something like 0.003 pence for every pound owed and had to be thankful for it... best laugh was PWC bumped us of approximately six quid because they "got their sums wrong" but it would have cost £30 quid to query the error... 

1 hour ago, SteelShoe said:

I reckon it was 6 seasons Geoff . I seem to remember that Laura initially took it on for 2 seasons with an option to extend. I think 5 years was the original quoted max . It was the treble winning sixth season that got Laura her just rewards and brought success for the die hard fans, it was just really sad that it was at such a financial cost.

Correct SS however possibly I would suggest a poor choice of words in "just rewards" as it has cost her an awful lot just to win that treble... but I understand your sentiment.. If the "Non Die Hard Fans" the people who now bemoan the loss of the team/club had of supported the club at home more regularly it may have been a different story now. If the clowns (the so called fans of speedway) who derided not just this promotion but the previous promotions on this site and on the unofficial forum had half a brain cell to recognised the damage they were doing to the club with constant negative posts; maybe if they had been a bit more positive and supportive the thing might still be there/here... When one poor quality cup of tea rumbled on the two forums for nearly 10 weeks into the season absolutely crippling the turnover of the Blue and White Cafe impacting club profits; well... its clowns like that who should look closely at themselves as they have contributed substantially to the demise of the club... which includes the balloon who started this thread and his little gang of "Bum Chums" it absolutely boils my bladder... I got a bad cup of tea and I am very important and demand quality as I am paying to get in and it is awful that the tea wasn't nice and it is a fundamental right that I get a quality cup of tea that I have paid for... Honestly get over it take it back to where you got it from and say "here get this changed or give me my money back" not save it for posterity and moan about it on every platform possible you can... I was fully expecting to see something on the front page of the Times and Star or the local news "crap tea at Derwent Park someone should be flogged" and here's me thinking Monica Lewinsky was sad keeping a dress for nearly 10 year covered in Pineapple (Allegedly)

A sport like this and a club like Worky needs a solid fan base... it needs the fans to pull together and get involved and if that is just buying 50/50 or raffle tickets or supporting events put on by the club so be it... but the thing has to make money to run and everyone is aware of the financial constraints. All Keith Denham wanted was to cover his losses, he was happy to put 5 to 10 grand of his own (personal not Armstrongs) cash in to run the Speedway but when the losses started to rise to the £20/30k levels he asked for support, he wanted 100 more people through the door, and what happened? he was absolutely slated off the Worky Troll brigade on both forums... they were instrumental in him walking away; their abuse of a genuine fan of Speedway...

I consider myself a "Die Hard Fan" and as someone who sponsored the Comets over 5 seasons and increased my financial input each year until I done a double year sponsorship deal in the last two seasons I am personally devastated at the loss of the club but until the "Clowns" realise; the trolls; who slate or put down the club at every opportunity, until they realise you cant kick a horse down a street then expect to get onto it and ride off into the sunset... it wont happen... "Clowns to the left and jenga to the right" "Trolls stuck in the middle with you!"

I hope it does come back and I will support it with cash and all I would ask is "if it does come back can the knob heads who took every opportunity to deride; slag off and generally shaft the previous promotions to either get with the programme and support whatever the new owners are trying to achieved or if it gives you the hump that much just stay away"

30 minutes ago, singy13 said:

They gave us the best, most exciting, finish ever to a season.....e.g. The Glasgow all in a day drama, the massive cup recovery v the Monarchs, the Scunthorpe and Lakeside victories - all unforgettable........brilliant speedway.

As said on here earlier it was those Saturday stay-aways who eventually did the major damage.

I think you are correct though in that "it will never return"...I don't envisage the newly laid Derwent Park pitch being ripped up again to accommodate a speedway track...sadly not.

Whilst I have been doing war and peace this has landed in; and well said; also from one die hard fan to another "never say never" it wont come back to DP that's gone for sure but there is a good guy locally giving it a real go to bring something back; I just hope I live long enough to see it... LOL

23 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Soupy got there before me 

14 minutes ago, soupy said:

The customer is always right even though they are wrong:t:

Correct and well said

Rant (for now) over

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just loved that rant THJ,  spoken with the passion of a man who loved the club and backed it every which way he could. More guys like you fella and we would indeed still be running. I too look forward to the day it returns and indeed hope I live long enough to see it .

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

in reply to THJ and his multi comments , i agree with most of them . but the customer is king . i and  many others still attended workington speedways last season , a glorious one at that .. the product could have lasted a bit longer than it did . the cafe stuff, many fans tried to make it known about the quality of certain items .  supporters where i stood still bought 50/50 ticket and even still supporters the cafe . sure , i have not been the best customer that workington had , but i did not close the unofficial forum down . all they had to do was to pull my membership , no more me ..limp chips and  warm tea/coffee was a regular thing but it got to the point when enough was enough . 

you will always get fans disagreeing with promotions of any sport . its human nature . if you dont make the management aware ,then they dont do anything about it .i sent comet dan (moody) a pm about the condition of the food etc . i had no reply and it  just carried on .  

will i return if  it returns . of course. thats if THJ lets me in .

MERRY CHRISTMAS  everyone , war is over .lol 

Why did they stop going though? Probably best to ask that question before blaming people who used to go. 

• Like 2