British Speedway Forum
jenga

workington ..

2 hours ago, soupy said:

The customer is always right even though they are wrong:t:

and THJ

So they say, and what happens when the customer doesn't feel that the product on offer isn't for them anymore?,,, they may stop going to that particular place. So it is quite possible that the fall in attendances may be linked to the product on offer.

41 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

and THJ

So they say, and what happens when the customer doesn't feel that the product on offer isn't for them anymore?,,, they may stop going to that particular place. So it is quite possible that the fall in attendances may be linked to the product on offer.

I totally agree and lack of communication between management and fans does not always help either.

1 hour ago, ruffdiamond said:

and THJ

Don't disagree but there is a right way and a wrong way to raise an issue and you deal face to face... Complaints can be resolved amicably without all the drama... what you don't do is take up a mission on forums to denigrate a whole product or promotion over a cup of tea, making the issue personal on a forum visited by many people is just totally wrong and not giving anyone the opportunity to put the issue right in the first place is gutless and totally out of order as well... it only takes one turd in a swimming pool to put people off and the taint can spread exponentially and look at the size of the pool... its not the first time I have had a duff pint at Brough Park and took it back to the bar and said "summat up with that" and the guys there have been fantastic and changed it straight away without any drama; or my other pet hate a short pull on a pint especially when it would be cheaper to drink Petrol than the beer on sale and look at how hard petrol is to obtain (the other is basically chemicals and water mixed in a bath) Gallon of Petrol £5:86 Gallon of Larger at Brough £29:60 (and I do in two gallon per meeting at least) But what I don't do is come on here and "Bitch and Wine" on how bad it was; Oh I got a short measure; what a bad pint; it was the promotions fault; or it was the biggest travesty since Maradona's "hand of god" goal... it can happen anywhere at any time...

All that public bitching and moaning only had to put off half a dozen locals from buying food or one away fan from travelling and the loss it there, and if the away fan is the driver that becomes 4 at £15 quid there's 60 quid for a start and in a sport that is starved of cash its the thin end of the wedge... and the product we are talking about here is the supplementary product not the main event which is the Speedway; and rest assured no one can complain about the product on the track at Worky in their last season because I had been going for the previous 9 years and it was the best it had ever been in 2018, and I defy anyone to say otherwise...

So if "the fall in attendances was linked to the product on offer" it certainly wasn't the Speedway that is for sure and which Clown in their right mind highlights the negatives of a product when they know the issues surrounding the product, its like they didn't want the place to succeed; they wanted it to fail; they had/have an ulterior motive... or they are just ignorant and stupid... 

Oh hang on there's a few of them that fit I would say thinking about it...

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
  • Like 5

anyone that complained about food , drink . still went to support the comets. maybe did not go the the cafe as often tho . but they still supported the main product . when people had a bad cup of tea/coffee , there was no use asking for another drink/chips or burger because you were only going to get the same product as a replacement . also if you looked back ,the crowds were falling off even when stoney was riding .there .. 

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Don't disagree but there is a right way and a wrong way to raise an issue and you deal face to face... Complaints can be resolved amicably without all the drama... what you don't do is take up a mission on forums to denigrate a whole product or promotion over a cup of tea, making the issue personal on a forum visited by many people is just totally wrong and not giving anyone the opportunity to put the issue right in the first place is gutless and totally out of order as well... it only takes one turd in a swimming pool to put people off and the taint can spread exponentially and look at the size of the pool... its not the first time I have had a duff pint at Brough Park and took it back to the bar and said "summat up with that" and the guys there have been fantastic and changed it straight away without any drama; or my other pet hate a short pull on a pint especially when it would be cheaper to drink Petrol than the beer on sale and look at how hard petrol is to obtain (the other is basically chemicals and water mixed in a bath) Gallon of Petrol £5:86 Gallon of Larger at Brough £29:60 (and I do in two gallon per meeting at least) But what I don't do is come on here and "Bitch and Wine" on how bad it was; Oh I got a short measure; what a bad pint; it was the promotions fault; or it was the biggest travesty since Maradona's "hand of god" goal... it can happen anywhere at any time...

All that public bitching and moaning only had to put off half a dozen locals from buying food or one away fan from travelling and the loss it there, and if the away fan is the driver that becomes 4 at £15 quid there's 60 quid for a start and in a sport that is starved of cash its the thin end of the wedge... and the product we are talking about here is the supplementary product not the main event which is the Speedway; and rest assured no one can complain about the product on the track at Worky in their last season because I had been going for the previous 9 years and it was the best it had ever been in 2018, and I defy anyone to say otherwise...

So if "the fall in attendances was linked to the product on offer" it certainly wasn't the Speedway that is for sure and which Clown in their right mind highlights the negatives of a product when they know the issues surrounding the product, its like they didn't want the place to succeed; they wanted it to fail; they had/have an ulterior motive... or they are just ignorant and stupid... 

Regards
THJ

Not saying there isn't a right or wrong way of doing things, but by folk saying it's the stay away customers isn't right either. 

If you have a shop and people stop coming in, eventually the shop will shut.

I don't think you can stop folk from moaning/complaining especially in today's society, but it's a 2 way street.

If you fail to see failings in a business its likely to go t!ts up.

I don't accept 'jenga's dodgy cuppa' as what's behind speedways failings, it may not help, but surely it's not the straw that broke the camels back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, jenga said:

also if you looked back ,the crowds were falling off even when stoney was riding .there .. 

I've always held the opinion that Speedway is a sort of novelty sport. In that I mean when a team debuts at it's own track a large crowd assembles. Many folk are interested in the actual racing, BUT another, large, percentage are only there to see thrills, SPILLS, and excitement...The match score being a secondary factor to those types.

And they are unfortunately the fans who get bored quickly and lose interest thereby becoming ex fans....so that opening night figure of thousands dilutes to the hardcore support.

When Ian Thomas, Stoney, Brent and co. revitalised the sport at Derwent Park in 1999 that opening crowd of, reportedly, 4,500 gradually receded over a couple of seasons to (reportedly) 1,200.....even with that figure Ian Thomas kept saying "the honeymoon at Workington is not over".......but in reality we could see the crowds dwindle.

And in my own mind I had alarm bells ringing, don't think I was alone with that dark clouded view. Then sadly when there were/was crowd(s), of just *390 ( *quoted to me by the then announcer, a friend and soccer foe lol) then obviously all was not well, and the struggle was certainly so difficult for the promoters....however I still believe, that as indeed was proven by packed Grandstands in October 2018, that speedway deserves another chance at Workington..

.............hopefully our forum friend THJ is spot on regarding someone working toward this next new beginning. BELIEVE>>>>>>>>>

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ruffdiamond said:

I don't accept 'jenga's dodgy cuppa' as what's behind speedways failings, it may not help, but surely it's not the straw that broke the camels back.

No it was one of a multitude of malicious and wilful actions that were a reletless onslaught on the Denham and Morgan tenures at Derwent Park... he was a one man wrecking crew who made wildly over the top comments and statements that were very personal and wholly untrue and I know he came close on several occasions of being not only banned from the stadium but being prosecuted for libel and slander... he should count himself lucky and shut his hole because if he had of been outed soonet than he was he had some very wealthy people gunning for him who would have taken great pleasure in dragging him through the legal system... unfortunately you don't know the history and you are trying to defend the indefensible the man is a malignant tumour on the bottom of humanity and if you want the "low down" send me a PM but the misanthropic miscreant has had enough air time of me on here and as his life twin Forest Gump was heard to say "that's all I have to say on that"...

Regards

THJ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

No it was one of a multitude of malicious and wilful actions that were a reletless onslaught on the Denham and Morgan tenures at Derwent Park... he was a one man wrecking crew who made wildly over the top comments and statements that were very personal and wholly untrue and I know he came close on several occasions of being not only banned from the stadium but being prosecuted for libel and slander... he should count himself lucky and shut his hole because if he had of been outed soonet than he was he had some very wealthy people gunning for him who would have taken great pleasure in dragging him through the legal system... unfortunately you don't know the history and you are trying to defend the indefensible the man is a malignant tumour on the bottom of humanity and if you want the "low down" send me a PM but the misanthropic miscreant has had enough air time of me on here and as his life twin Forest Gump was heard to say "that's all I have to say on that"...

Regards

THJ 

No need for a PM, if jenga was, as you say that bad or whatever, why wasn't he just told to ffff off and not come back?,,, am sure it's not too much to oust one bad apple from your place of business, before all the rest were infected. Surely all promoters have the right to refuse entry.

No smoke without fire.

But putting all that aside, speedway is losing popularity, there will be debates on why from many fans for whatever reasons.

What do fans want to see, what do fans not want to see?

or should they just be told what to see? ;)

10 hours ago, jamlad said:

Pretty disgusting that Riders from the best season in History are still waiting to get paid :mad: season ticket holders who bought tickets haven't been re-imbursed I know that for a fact !! That promotion ruined Speedway in Workington , it will never return they've  damaged it that much !!! 

Ruined it so much they gave hundreds of thousands of pounds to do their best. Your disgust should be aimed at the insolvency laws unfortunately businesses cannot pick and choose who gets paid once insolvent there is a strict legal pecking order.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, ruffdiamond said:

or should they just be told what to see? 

He was told to "go forth and multiply" and started crying like a baby at the gate and soft poop Steve Whitehead let him back in under licence on the premise he made a written apology and "heart of stone" here was screaming at him to smack him in the mouth and chase him an Laura got the casting vote and went with Steve...  The other thing was he was hiding behind an assumed name using this anonymity to put forward his malicious content and bile  to the detriment of the club...

And on your final question is that a Mickey take or What?

If I turn up to a Speedway meeting I personally want to see 15 heats of hard close racing with pleanty of passing.... and preferably a 49 - 41 result for my team but I would settle for a 46 - 44 win if push come to shove...

What I don't like seeing is lots of falls processional racing and massive one sided humping's of 60 points or more...

Unless you are blind no one can tell you what to see (or watch) so sorry I don't get the premise on that one...

And surely it's down to your 7 riders as selected by a promotion which you turn up to watch religiously each week as the product you see? How the flock can you be told what to see? Ya not on the old Vino again are ya...

Regards 

THJ 

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Edited for accuracy

36 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

No need for a PM, if jenga was, as you say that bad or whatever, why wasn't he just told to ffff off and not come back?,,, am sure it's not too much to oust one bad apple from your place of business, before all the rest were infected. Surely all promoters have the right to refuse entry.

No smoke without fire.

But putting all that aside, speedway is losing popularity, there will be debates on why from many fans for whatever reasons.

or should they just be told what to see? ;)

You can refuse entry without an explanation and tell them politely,You  do not have to give any reasoning either.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Regards
THJ

Very well said THJ. Too many(usual culprits) seem to look for negative threads so they can jump in for another moan, giving all the things that the promotions should do cos they say so. Generally on here they admit they don't go, and it's year since they were at a meeting. These are the sort of people who are 'dropping the turd in the pool" to quote your example in a following post.. I assume it makes them big in their little world (I told them) but it does poison the atmosphere and only encourages others to drag up their favourite gripe even though they haven't been for years and "wouldn't go back enen if they gave me a free season ticket - Moxey". if you have a problem, deal with it with the person responsible and it's likely you will get some action. Instead it's moan, moan, moan. :angry:

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Byker Biker said:

Ruined it so much they gave hundreds of thousands of pounds to do their best. Your disgust should be aimed at the insolvency laws unfortunately businesses cannot pick and choose who gets paid once insolvent there is a strict legal pecking order.

Although the Bond that is lodged with the BSPA is used for speedway debts such as to riders (at a fixed rate), and money owed between clubs and the BSPA/SCB.

11 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

And on your final question is that a Mickey take or What?

If I turn up to a Speedway meeting I personally want to see 15 heats of hard close racing with pleanty of passing.... and preferably a 49 - 41 result for my team but I would settle for a 46 - 44 win if push come to shove...

What I don't like seeing is lots of falls processional racing and massive one sided humping's of 60 points or more...

Unless you are blind no one can tell you what to see (or watch) so sorry I don't get the premise on that one...

And surely it's down to your 7 riders as selected by a promotion which you turn up to watch religiously each week as the product you see? How the flock can you be told what to see? Ya not on the old Vino again are ya...

Regards 

THJ 

No, and I remember the first part of your post.

You've said what you like to see or not see. Is that what all fans want to see and do they see it?,,, If not they might think about not returning. Some people (geeks)?,,, might be into the rules and regulations of the sport, and that is a proper can of worms. I don't think that the ever changing rule book helps tho, but who is responsible for making the rules?,,,

Not everyone might be of the same opinion as you and might attend the meetings for a different buzz.

Good, close, exciting meetings are a great spectacle, but don't happen too often,,, so what's that down to?

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

if you have a problem, deal with it with the person responsible and it's likely you will get some action. Instead it's moan, moan, moan. :angry:

Just tell them straight Dave, that's the best way,,, just hope their not over sensitive ;)

• Haha 1