British Speedway Forum
jenga

workington ..

Tony Jackson said in this weeks Speedway Star that he was going to organise a 50th year celebration of Workington Speedway but with his health problems and the Coronavirus outbreak it will now not be happening.

• Sad 1

50 yrs to the day and date can u remember comets fans what u were doing, i was 12 and on the sunday before mother made us go to sunday school at st michaels and we could here this noise coming fron derwent park,so we sneaked in over the infamous sewer pipe and saw out first bikes going round ,the noise and the smell was fantastic. Jeff brownhut saw us and we asked if we could get in for nothing on friday night he laughed and said stand at the pit gate and we would get in,true to his work a load of us kids got in that night and that was it we were hooked.i wish i could remember more apart from standing next to the safety fence and soon moving after the first race.Both ian and jeff are no longer with us but i and many others owe them a lifetime of memories and of course thanks to Tony mole i often wonder what us kids would have done without the comets in our school days, cycle speedway tracks everywhere bikes picked up at hanrattys scrap yard trips away to many other tracks,its a crying shame my grandkids who luved going will not have the pleasure we had as kids following our heros. so heres to 50 yrs and hopefully one day the Comets will rise again. Give us  C etc .

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

50 yrs to the day and date can u remember comets fans what u were doing, i was 12 and on the sunday before mother made us go to sunday school at st michaels and we could here this noise coming fron derwent park,so we sneaked in over the infamous sewer pipe and saw out first bikes going round ,the noise and the smell was fantastic. Jeff brownhut saw us and we asked if we could get in for nothing on friday night he laughed and said stand at the pit gate and we would get in,true to his work a load of us kids got in that night and that was it we were hooked.i wish i could remember more apart from standing next to the safety fence and soon moving after the first race.Both ian and jeff are no longer with us but i and many others owe them a lifetime of memories and of course thanks to Tony mole i often wonder what us kids would have done without the comets in our school days, cycle speedway tracks everywhere bikes picked up at hanrattys scrap yard trips away to many other tracks,its a crying shame my grandkids who luved going will not have the pleasure we had as kids following our heros. so heres to 50 yrs and hopefully one day the Comets will rise again. Give us  C etc .

So you are not 100 then? :D

1 hour ago, Dave Jones said:

So you are not 100 then? :D

Still a youngster in speedway supporters terms if my maths are correct.;):D

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, geoff100 said:

There's an article about this in this weeks Times and Star by Tony Jackson.

1 hour ago, comet49 said:

Hope it comes online am to tight to buy the paper :rofl:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, comet49 said:

Can't go out to buy said paper as not essential in the current situation !! Will look online later

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Neila said:

Can't go out to buy said paper as not essential in the current situation !! Will look online later

Thought the speedway star was essential :t:

• Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 12:27 PM, bigdave said:

Workington Comets Speedway Print

As it's unlikely that the Comets will return to the track in the foreseeable future, the Speedway Star magazine has created a Workington Comets Speedway Print, covering 1970 to 2018, including photos of Lou Sansom, Carl Stonehewer, Craig Cook etc. and of course pictures of the 2018 treble winning team.

Prices start from £20 + P&P. It is advertised in this weeks Speedway Star. Alternatively e-mail coveadv@gmail.com if you are interested in seeing a sample of the print.

Is this for real ?? A 1st time poster putting something up for sale ?? Just seams suspicious to me.

Just seen advert it appears to be an A4 framed print of around 10/12 photos of various comets.

Edited by Neila
Updated

Also mentioned in speedway star this week is the comets 50th anniversary and said a full article will be in next week's speedway star, probably similar one that's in times and star

11 minutes ago, soupy said:

Thought the speedway star was essential :t:

Speedway star is essential it comes thro the post  :party: reply was about the local rag times and star

17 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Still a youngster in speedway supporters terms if my maths are correct.;):D

Absolutely, i must be a babe in arms then!

On 4/3/2020 at 10:23 PM, Neila said:

Is this for real ?? A 1st time poster putting something up for sale ?? Just seams suspicious to me.

Just seen advert it appears to be an A4 framed print of around 10/12 photos of various comets.

I was emailed this photo of it, Looks like the names of our 2 greatest riders are spelt incorrectly for a start!

9qeFCAn.jpg

• Sad 1

Looks like someone out to try and cash in on the 50th year of comets, would leave well alone if they can't even get the basics correct

• Like 1