British Speedway Forum
jenga

workington ..

22 hours ago, brianbuck said:

A bit strange that a Workington site has been sidetracked a bit to a discussion about Norwich! I agree with 25 year fan that Norwich could easily support a speedway without detriment to King's Lynn,Ipswich or Mildenhall.

In my opinion, Norwich is a City crying out for speedway. I visited the old track at the Firs numerous times and was always impressed with the size of the crowds and with the quality of the racing. Not only that, the stadium used to have a fullsized ballroom underneath the main stand, and after meetings would host dances with a full sized orchestra which were always well supported.

I was there one Saturday night with ex Norwich rider Sandor Levai who was a very old friend of mine, and was highly amused to watch Ken McKinlay insist on dancing with Mrs Levai. Ken was about 5' 2" and Ilse Levai was 6' 6"" so it was a comical sight!

Perhaps, we could lanch a site dedicated to the return of Norwich - if ever a City deserves a Speedway it is Norwich!

Yes Norwich deserve it along with lots of others I remember..London Bristol Exeter Southampton Coventry Oxford Bradford etc.,

On 8/1/2020 at 12:14 PM, Neila said:

Was it when the circus was in town with 2 elephants ?

I remember he had Stoney and Mick Powell riding around town on the elephants.

10 hours ago, Derwent said:

I remember he had Stoney and Mick Powell riding around town on the elephants.

stoney was bricking it.  said ne had never been on a big lass before ! ! ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Any comets fans got a car sticker for rear window going spare??

i have a feeling they will be like rocking horse  stuff .

• Haha 1

thats a very late 70s one , poss 1980 i wonder who designed that ? from the eddy thornborrow era ..

Two year ago today since that historic night with comets cleaning up. The last night we would see speedway at derwent park. How I miss that place 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Midget said:

Two year ago today since that historic night with comets cleaning up. The last night we would see speedway at derwent park. How I miss that place 

Who knew that night as we walked out we would never walk in again, even though am a rugby fan will never watch town again after the board ripped up the track, its up the haven for me now .

9 hours ago, Gunner85 said:

There were rumours of anew track close to the Northside site..... what happened

Was an article in speedway star a few weeks ago with the guy who hopes to do something, but we are in strange times at the moment, so would not like to guess the outcome, also Workington is home to several families who like to live in caravans !! And our local council have earmarked Northside area for a special site for the said people !!, Which would be an official one rather than the illegal ones they are using in the said area now and it is full of various bits off rubbish or worse left by the said people, so would not like to venture down to watch speedway

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Neila said:

Was an article in speedway star a few weeks ago with the guy who hopes to do something, but we are in strange times at the moment, so would not like to guess the outcome, also Workington is home to several families who like to live in caravans !! And our local council have earmarked Northside area for a special site for the said people !!, Which would be an official one rather than the illegal ones they are using in the said area now and it is full of various bits off rubbish or worse left by the said people, so would not like to venture down to watch speedway

Thanks, I do not get the Speedway star anymore.the council appear to have done a u turn. I was told that they were going to fence the area off to stop the caravans and let Speedway have a new track....

47 minutes ago, Gunner85 said:

Thanks, I do not get the Speedway star anymore.the council appear to have done a u turn. I was told that they were going to fence the area off to stop the caravans and let Speedway have a new track....

Maybe they realised that someone would probably steal the fence? ;)

On 10/29/2020 at 10:35 AM, geoff100 said:

Who knew that night as we walked out we would never walk in again, even though am a rugby fan will never watch town again after the board ripped up the track, its up the haven for me now .

That's shocked me geoff.......I've been a 'Townie' for a great many years, and always will be....yes it was awful to see the speedway track "ripped up", but I think even if it was still intact the Comets wouldn't be flying round it..............money, or rather the lack of it would have saw to that bitter end.

• Like 2