British Speedway Forum
jenga

workington ..

1 hour ago, eric i said:

Is there enough room on the site to put a full size track in?

Not really

1 hour ago, eric i said:

Is there enough room on the site to put a full size track in?

Yes

56 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Scunny Somerset or Belle Vue style???

Belle Vue/Redcar So slightly smaller than Belle Vue but same shape

52 minutes ago, Deano said:

Do the speedway own this land?

No it belongs to the council

2 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

Not really

Yes there is the site itself is huge; they aren't using the Northside track its marked out separate from that one

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the site was used as a driving training centre alot of years ago , plenty of room for a stadium!

• Like 1

The new track appears to be on top of the old track,in the same corner but lots bigger in all directions.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Neila said:

The new track appears to be on top of the old track,in the same corner but lots bigger in all directions.

Steve Lawson apparently downloaded it from the inter-web... all clever stuff...

2 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Steve Lawson apparently downloaded it from the inter-web... all clever stuff...

So when it's up & running does your other SPOT ( hoos) have a workshop/garage for our young'n to prepair his bike & there's a few liquid refreshing lollies in it for you

40 minutes ago, Justgotmecpc said:

So when it's up & running does your other SPOT ( hoos) have a workshop/garage for our young'n to prepair his bike & there's a few liquid refreshing lollies in it for you

Sorry pal hose pipe only oot the back for a wash... bike, kevlars or kids as am down on the harbour side... mooring spot though if ya come in ya boat...

Oh an bacon sarnies if ya not to early in the morning... or a fishy on a dishy if ya come by sea...

Regards

THJ 

51 minutes ago, Justgotmecpc said:

Am sure John is a 'fab man',,,, so don't be giving him cider lollies,,, he'll probly kick off!!!  ;)

Great news tho if Worky get going.

• Like 1

Am sure more information will come out soon, but I suspect it will be more of a proper size training track in the short term, then hopefully maybe !! a place in some league, but due to location it would be a basic setup IMO. Note this is only my thoughts have not spoken to anyone involved, just saw lots of work being done on my lockdown walks

12 hours ago, Neila said:

Am sure more information will come out soon, but I suspect it will be more of a proper size training track in the short term, then hopefully maybe !! a place in some league, but due to location it would be a basic setup IMO. Note this is only my thoughts have not spoken to anyone involved, just saw lots of work being done on my lockdown walks

Thing is the growth has to start somewhere and many tracks back in the day were in the middle of fields with poor access and the sites build and develop slowly as you progress... Rob Godfrey has developed Scunthorpe over the years into a good venue now and that didn't happen over night and remember back to when they first took over that site... it was pretty basic to say the least...

The question is would the discerning fans of Workington be happy (at first hopefully) watching an NDL side perform along the lines of how Mildenhall or the Isle of Wight have done as we all know in this sport numbers are critical for running a successful team... there is always a break even point...

Last time I had a look down just before the Christmas lock down there were tons of muck piled around the place that had been excavated out and just as many piles of shale from the old DP site ready I assume to go back down and it looked like a moon scape! well even more like a moon scape than it usually does if you could get gypsies and travellers on the moon!!!

Good luck to them and if/when it comes back all they will need are fans through the turnstiles... the other thing is if they don't run a league team of some description there will be a fantastic training track down there to bring the young kids on... so a win win for Workington for me...

Regards
THJ

• Like 8

19 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Sorry pal hose pipe only oot the back for a wash... bike, kevlars or kids as am down on the harbour side... mooring spot though if ya come in ya boat...

Oh an bacon sarnies if ya not to early in the morning... or a fishy on a dishy if ya come by sea...

Regards

THJ 

En route