British Speedway Forum
jenga

workington ..

16 hours ago, GWC said:

Oxford will be racing at their historical home so it is their name to use.

Im not sure where Northside is but as long as they represent the town of Workington - unless someone owns the name legally that is.

Northside is in Workington.......

15 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Is it on the north side? ;)

Only if you are standing on the South,East or West side :rofl:

Simple solution to this nonsense. Just call the club Workington. There's no real need for nicknames.

I've never referred to my team as "Birmingham Brummies". We are either Birmingham or The Brummies. 

2 hours ago, singy13 said:

Northside is in Workington.......

and west side is a musical . 

northside is a fart away from derwent park ,as the wind blows lol

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, brianbuck said:

Simple solution to this nonsense. Just call the club Workington. There's no real need for nicknames.

I've never referred to my team as "Birmingham Brummies". We are either Birmingham or The Brummies. 

LOL! :rolleyes: 

• Haha 3

"Vandals put paid to Workington’s speedway dreams for 2022"

Just read this headline in Cumbriacrack this morning. Sincerely hope that it is old news but I can't see it mentioned in this thread!

If it is old news would appreciate moderator pulling my post.

42 minutes ago, Aceslider said:

"Vandals put paid to Workington’s speedway dreams for 2022"

Just read this headline in Cumbriacrack this morning. Sincerely hope that it is old news but I can't see it mentioned in this thread!

If it is old news would appreciate moderator pulling my post.

https://cumbriacrack.com/2021/12/09/vandals-put-paid-to-workingtons-speedway-dreams-for-2022/

This is just a thought, could a decent caravan or site hut be placed on site for 24-7 security, could be manned in a rota by the Workington faithful?   Yes I have in a previous life lived in a caravan as speedway stadium security. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ghosty said:

This is just a thought, could a decent caravan or site hut be placed on site for 24-7 security, could be manned in a rota by the Workington faithful?   Yes I have in a previous life lived in a caravan as speedway stadium security. 

A bit like Mr Godfrey does with riders at scunny !! I've got you a nice place to stay plenty of open spaces, but it's behind 4th bend at the track :D

5 hours ago, Neila said:

A bit like Mr Godfrey does with riders at scunny !! I've got you a nice place to stay plenty of open spaces, but it's behind 4th bend at the track :D

Didn't do MPT or TJ any harm slumming it in a six berth caravan in the pits. Only illegal dinghy people get 4 star hotel, free board, phones and pocket money!:rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Lets all hope Workington (Comets?) can make a come back soon. If its true they can run open meetings next year, then lets all support their comeback and make sure it a success and they are not lost again. Having read about their recent set back and by the look of the pictures of their new track (class), lets all hope there is support from both local businesses and supporters and show that speedway has a place in Workington. If there's anyone out there who can help in any way, then I'm sure the promotion like any other promotion, would welcome any support big or small. So get in touch and help put Workington back on track.

Who's up for the launch of the all new Workington (Comets?) Speedway? ☝☝☝

• Like 2

8 hours ago, scunny1 said:

Didn't do MPT or TJ any harm slumming it in a six berth caravan in the pits. Only illegal dinghy people get 4 star hotel, free board, phones and pocket money!:rolleyes:

Tero Aarnio as well...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ghosty said:

From what has been said about the 'culprits' on here previously, it would be burnt-out and possibly with the security people still inside :angry:

• Like 3

On 12/9/2021 at 2:11 PM, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Well Well Well… oh ye of little faith eh... I didn't think it could be done but here you go...

News hot off the press so to speak...

The travellers have been evicted (again)... the gates have been repaired and locked (again)... there are now CCTV cameras in operation (good)... and three of our little friends have been arrested and locked up and another two are on the run (Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas)... so there you go three nil to the police and two off the crossbar... nice when a plan comes together and the boys in blue get a result...

Carlsberg don't do News Flashes but if they did... (and its official I will be smiling all day)

Regards
THJ

Hi THJ

I've been away for a couple of weeks and was dismayed and angered to read about the vandalism and burglary that has gone on in that time. Your above post though has helped lift the gloom a bit.  Andrew and the team must have been demoralised yet again by the low lives who carry out these actions.

It's fair to say that the travellers see this area as a soft touch,  this is in no small part nurtured by the Police not making use of the powers they have under Section 61 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994. The Police do have powers to move a site immediately without recourse to the courts while Allerdale Council does not. Cumbria Constabulary is able to move more quickly and take far more robust action.

The claim that Police have no authority to move travellers due to the absence of a dedicated place for them to go in Allerdale is also false. Apparently the fact remains there is no requirement to find the travellers somewhere to go before moving them on. If the Police made use of the powers available to them immediately in response to criminal damage and antisocial behaviour then this would surely act as a powerful deterrent and they would soon get the message. They have been allowed to get away with behaviour that other members of the local community wouldn't get away with for far to long.

With the number of Police Officers in Cumbria reported to be at a record high it is good to here about them taking the above action. I hope it's the start of things to come going forward. 

I did think the travellers would find there way back onto Northside sooner or later  especially since the intended CCTV security cameras were not installed at the same time as the security gates.

Hope your keeping alright fella. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1