British Speedway Forum
jenga

workington ..

According to an article in this weeks Speedway Star, Andrew Bain has confirmed that they will be able to take on the Workington Comets name when they do get up and running.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, bigdave said:

According to an article in this weeks Speedway Star, Andrew Bain has confirmed that they will be able to take on the Workington Comets name when they do get up and running.

Correct... it was apparently a "little misunderstanding" however that nice fella Rob Godfrey got things sorted so @Neila can get down off his high horse and credit to the Chairman of the BSPL for resolving the minor blip...

It will save @Neila a couple of quid as he will still be able to use his old Hat; Scarf; Clip Board; Jacket; Flag; Beanie; Pyjamas; Underpants; Sweat Shirt; Polo Shirt; H18tory Hoodie and Advertising Strip in the back window of his car. "Win Win" (Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win and Win) there then Neil eh...

Hugs and Kisses to big Bad Rob G as all's well that ends well eh Neil...

Come on Workington Barbarians... Oops...

Regards
THJ

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Correct... it was apparently a "little misunderstanding" however that nice fella Rob Godfrey got things sorted so @Neila can get down off his high horse and credit to the Chairman of the BSPL for resolving the minor blip...

It will save @Neila a couple of quid as he will still be able to use his old Hat; Scarf; Clip Board; Jacket; Flag; Beanie; Pyjamas; Underpants; Sweat Shirt; Polo Shirt; H18tory Hoodie and Advertising Strip in the back window of his car. "Win Win" (Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win Win and Win) there then Neil eh...

Regards
THJ

Give us a "c" :rofl:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Regards
THJ

But it's not only me who does not like Mr Godfrey and the bspa maffia, :rolleyes: not seen the artical yet as my post to bring my Bible (speedway star) is on a covid go slow. But give us a C thanks to Mr Godfrey and co, am sure he is not as bad as people tell me, you included John :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bigdave said:

It would be better to start afresh with a new name and I suggest something befitting the area, something along the lines of the 'Workington Wastelanders' or the 'Workington We'd Rather Live Elsewhere'ers'.

Seriously though, how about the Workington Warriors or the Workington Wizards? Both would be good imo.

57 minutes ago, Neila said:

But it's not only me who does not like Mr Godfrey and the bspa maffia, :rolleyes: not seen the artical yet as my post to bring my Bible (speedway star) is on a covid go slow. But give us a C thanks to Mr Godfrey and co, am sure he is not as bad as people tell me, you included John :)

Hey I like Rob as what you see is what you get he's a genuine bloke...

He is sometimes portrayed as the pantomime villain but does that not come with the job...

There is a great deal more to get upset about in Speedway than Rob Godfrey thats for sure...

Regards

THJ 

• Like 3

On 12/12/2021 at 7:40 PM, SteelShoe said:

It's fair to say that the travellers see this area as a soft touch,  this is in no small part nurtured by the Police not making use of the powers they have under Section 61 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994. The Police do have powers to move a site immediately without recourse to the courts while Allerdale Council does not. Cumbria Constabulary is able to move more quickly and take far more robust action.

The claim that Police have no authority to move travellers due to the absence of a dedicated place for them to go in Allerdale is also false. Apparently the fact remains there is no requirement to find the travellers somewhere to go before moving them on. If the Police made use of the powers available to them immediately in response to criminal damage and antisocial behaviour then this would surely act as a powerful deterrent and they would soon get the message. They have been allowed to get away with behaviour that other members of the local community wouldn't get away with for far to long.

Thev root cause of all these problems with travellers is the reluctance of the police to take effective action against them. Where I live, (Dudley Borough) travellers have plagued the area repeatedly over the past 6/7 years, invading school play areas, sports fields, parkland and other similar sites, thieving from local shops and houses, and depositing moutains of rubbish and filth which has cost the local council £300,000 a year to clear. The council's proposed solution has been the creation of a "temporary transit site" at which the police can compel them to move to, for a maximum of 28 days. As Dudley Council has repeatedly changed "colour" at successive elections, this has become a political football, even though both Conservative and Labour parties have basically agreed that this would be the best solution. The disputes between the two parties has been over where the Transit Site should be built. The Conservatives identified a site in Coseley, but the Labour party didn't like it, and cancelled the construction as soon as they regained control. Then the Conservatives came back into power and resurrected the plan. After 6 years of wrangling, the Transit Site has been built in Coseley, but only one caravan has used it, and after the stipulated 28 days had elapsed, the occupiers refused to move. The police were then asked to evict them, but declined to do so - and the West Midlands Police Commissioner supported this lack of action on the grounds that his officers had acted "responsibly, and with respect and sensititity for the rights of a minority group." This has given a clear signal to other travellers groups that they can now set up camp on any grassed area within Dudley, and that the police will not evict them if they do. Dudley residents are now braced in anticipation of more invasions next summer!

21 hours ago, Nickinho said:

It would be better to start afresh with a new name and I suggest something befitting the area, something along the lines of the 'Workington Wastelanders' or the 'Workington We'd Rather Live Elsewhere'ers'.

Seriously though, how about the Workington Warriors or the Workington Wizards? Both would be good imo.

the isle of wight wont be too happy using that name , nor will former fans of weymouth wizards or was it the wildcats ?

45 minutes ago, brianbuck said:

Sums up a lot of this country. 

On 12/16/2021 at 2:07 PM, bigdave said:

this would be great. I believe that that the BSPA apparently own the name so there will be money involved.:(

On 12/18/2021 at 8:13 AM, SteelShoe said:

this would be great. I believe that that the BSPA apparently own the name so there will be money involved.:(

Hi SS 

BSPL don't own the name and there will be no cost involved as the matter has now been resolved 

Regards 

THJ 

• Thanks 1

On 12/17/2021 at 9:13 PM, jenga said:

the isle of wight wont be too happy using that name , nor will former fans of weymouth wizards or was it the wildcats ?

Both. Weymouth were also the Scorchers, Royals and Eagles!

• Like 1

On 12/17/2021 at 9:13 PM, jenga said:

Wow what a memory. My parents have a Weymouth wizards prog from the 70’s. When we lived there 80-84 they were the wildcats, which I think was better.

24 minutes ago, Deano said:

Wow what a memory. My parents have a Weymouth wizards prog from the 70’s. When we lived there 80-84 they were the wildcats, which I think was better.

dont ask me what i did yesterday !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/20/2021 at 6:45 PM, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Hi SS 

BSPL don't own the name and there will be no cost involved as the matter has now been resolved 

Regards 

THJ 

Cheers THJ, Good news :t:

• Like 1