British Speedway Forum
jenga

workington ..

Reading john walsh 's dream comets team in the "ss" today brings back so many memories from the 70s too today so comets fans who do u think he has missed out? For me taffy owen mal  mackay stand out, my favs were the likes of alan cowland , roger wright kym admunson i could go on , any thoughts fellow comets fans?

1 hour ago, geoff100 said:

Reading john walsh 's dream comets team in the "ss" today brings back so many memories from the 70s too today so comets fans who do u think he has missed out? For me taffy owen mal  mackay stand out, my favs were the likes of alan cowland , roger wright kym admunson i could go on , any thoughts fellow comets fans?

Interesting that there was no mention of any riders from the all conquering 2018 treble winning team. I would have thought Rene Bach and/or Mason Campton would have been worth a shout, as they both rode for the Comets for a number of years.

6 hours ago, bigdave said:

Interesting that there was no mention of any riders from the all conquering 2018 treble winning team. I would have thought Rene Bach and/or Mason Campton would have been worth a shout, as they both rode for the Comets for a number of years.

Yes I would include all of that 2018 team.  And of course Carl Stonehewer. But the man who got me to attend home and away during the opening 1970 season was the original Mr. Excitement, Bob Valentine - not the best gater, but that wasn't ever a problem to Bob...

10 minutes ago, singy13 said:

Yes I would include all of that 2018 team.  And of course Carl Stonehewer. But the man who got me to attend home and away during the opening 1970 season was the original Mr. Excitement, Bob Valentine - not the best gater, but that wasn't ever a problem to Bob...

I was 12 yr old in that first season i wish video was around then , happy days .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Too many to squeeze in just one team as various riders stood out for different reasons in all era's of the mighty comets ending in our H18TORY season:party:

Some names from me to ponder on, Taffy Mal Steve Lawson, Terry Kelly, some from 1981 when I was heavily involved with the comets Wayne Jackson Guy Wilson etc then some of the modern day comets. But think stoney has to be a top pick in most teams

Only started watching from 1978 so did not see the early years riders .

So many riders to choose from Rene Bach ,Simon Stead , Gary stead , Des Wilson who never a big hitter but a good club man   

As said previously Guy Wilson who could forget that ride against Newcastle when he had a  puncture but won but was subsequently excluded !

3 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Potentially a British youth round at new track announced last night 

Yeah potentially late July/August i'd imagine, if all goes well!

8 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Am all for youth training but is this the best way to open a new track?

I think it's the perfect scenario for the initial meeting on a brand new track, then one or two "open" meetings.

Build up to league racing in 2023 with your official return! 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Ghosty said:

I think it's the perfect scenario for the initial meeting on a brand new track, then one or two "open" meetings.

Quite agree. Getting an important meeting under their belt will give them some faith, and allow them to build on that and continue work on the spectator facilities. Great time to have a meeting IMO. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Ghosty said:

And being a youth event may bring in plenty of young kids to watch....

Which can only be good for the track to bulld on going forwards if it happens..

• Like 2

Steve Lawson on Twitter:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1