British Speedway Forum
jenga

workington ..

On 7/3/2022 at 11:02 PM, Shrimmy said:

Why wouldn’t you want bangers or stox at the track ?

Wrong type of fence, The Northside fence is wire fastened to upright light metal poles which is suitable for speedway, especially on the bends with the air fence cushioning the impact of a rider and bike. Stock tracks need a sturdier type of fence using Armco, which is bolted to upright metal spikes, cemented into the base. Same as motorway barriers. Scunny has that type of fence embedded into the bank at the back. For the stocks, the deflated airfence is slung over to be behind the Armco, to save damage.

• Thanks 1

On 7/3/2022 at 11:02 PM, Shrimmy said:

Why wouldn’t you want bangers or stox at the track ?

Definitely not .

4 hours ago, topaz325 said:

Definitely not .

Hope not it seems so many laps of complete mayhem.....can't for the life of me see the attraction....or do I need to get a life????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice piece in the "star" about a possible comeback but not sure about national league,tried a while back didnt work,thoughts?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Nice piece in the "star" about a possible comeback but not sure about national league,tried a while back didnt work,thoughts?

I can't see any option but to start in the National League. There is an acute shortage of riders for the championship not to mention their wage demands.

1 hour ago, geoff100 said:

The thing is the Comets were initially very well supported (in both eras) - fans followed Comets both home and away-then the west Cumbrians began losing interest, quite rapidly in fact. And it's thinking of how fickle, yes the folk around here can be exactly that - Fickle, it's same with RL... Therefore it's probably a bit risky to serve up such as National League racing and expect large attendances - ok yes for a couple or so meetings. But my lifelong experiences as a faithful Comet make me feel worried if NL is used per se.............just my thoughts guys, I'll be there whatever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghosty said:

I can't see any option but to start in the National League. There is an acute shortage of riders for the championship not to mention their wage demands.

The riders will bring about the sports downfall via track closures if they are too cash greedy - then they'll have no one to pay them anyway.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, singy13 said:

The riders will bring about the sports downfall via track closures if they are too cash greedy - then they'll have no one to pay them anyway.

and they cant see what they are doing to the sport and themselves   junior riders are the best entertainment because you dont know what they are going to do next . i can  see good support for the new venture and will support it when its on .

looking forward to going to the field of dreams ..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Think in the present economic climate for fans, riders and promotor, Workington have to start small, conference league and run training schools and track days etc to get some money in, 1 to pay off what has been achieved so far with the track, 2 to provide funds for a possible return to championship racing in 2024, but that's provided they are enough teams and riders to have a League at that time !!

Here's a thing... just a daft question regardless of what league the comets end up in... (Champ or NDL) 

Power (and floodlights) to the site could be an issue so start 12.00 on the Saturday before the football or 12.00 Sunday before the Rugby?

Then if we get power to the site (mains or genny) what would the prefered day/night be and what start time would best suit the MAJORITY of the supporters?

Regards 

THJ

I think Nl first which is much more affordable to start with walk before you can run comes to mind with practice day, armature meetings hire days  to recoup monies to reinvest to make it even better 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Here's a thing... just a daft question regardless of what league the comets end up in... (Champ or NDL) 

Power (and floodlights) to the site could be an issue so start 12.00 on the Saturday before the football or 12.00 Sunday before the Rugby?

Then if we get power to the site (mains or genny) what would the prefered day/night be and what start time would best suit the MAJORITY of the supporters?

Regards 

THJ

12:00 might be a tad early for many riders, if they are to travel on the morning, and any away fans might not like it.  Suit us locals though lol.

Maybe such as 5 p.m. more convenient for the majority? Or 6 to encourage keen soccer element?

Guess you'll need power at any time for starting gates and all the various lights, especially red and green?

Oxford doing ok straight into Championship. Go NL then Championship won’t get a crowd kick. Should go straight into Championship.

• Like 1

might need another 12 months to get facilites up to CL standard?