British Speedway Forum
jenga

workington ..

On 2/3/2020 at 8:03 PM, yellow and black said:

I have him down for 338 official appearances

I wont argue with you as you prob have more up to date stats than I have, I believe he was just shy of the record set By Carl Stonehewer

8 minutes ago, Liz !!! said:

I wont argue with you as you prob have more up to date stats than I have, I believe he was just shy of the record set By Carl Stonehewer

Yeah, Rusty had made 325 up until 2013, then made another 13 in 2015 making 338.

Carl rode in 361 official matches for the Comets

• Like 2

He always had time to chat to the fans, as did all the riders in car park and pits. Great bunch of lads. Loved my Saturday night trips to DP in 2004/5. Especially the Fours, with over 2500 there. Why did hundreds just stop going? And what a way to bow out, winning everything.:cheers:

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, auntie doris said:

He always had time to chat to the fans, as did all the riders in car park and pits. Great bunch of lads. Loved my Saturday night trips to DP in 2004/5. Especially the Fours, with over 2500 there. Why did hundreds just stop going? And what a way to bow out, winning everything.:cheers:

Lack of fixtures in summer didnt help but we lost alot of fans before that last season? The town board sold on the lease who knows a promoter might have got a better deal before the 2 people who couldnt get their new stadium  spat the dummy and then ripped the track up !

• Like 1

Sad there's no speedway in Cumbria now...but they went out on a massive high!!!

I had not attended a speedway meeting for about 30 years and went along to a Worky meeting in 2004. I was hooked again, especially watching Steady ride, almost unbeatable there. Great that he got to ride for Swindon years later, and Wrighty. Still have the programmes.

In todays "ss"peter oakes reports tony jackson has had cardiac probs anyone know how he is doing?

1 hour ago, geoff100 said:

In todays "ss"peter oakes reports tony jackson has had cardiac probs anyone know how he is doing?

THJ will know. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hi all .seeing that no  one is going on the lash for a wee while . here is a heads up to some live music . it is going to be on on sunday ( tomorrow 22nd march ) @ 8.30 pm . it will be broadcast on the facebook page of the band called flynt .  search for  flynts night in . it may take you to their twitter account , but its their facebook page you need yo be on .scroll down and the info is there .  it should last abour 45 mins . 

its free . 

On 3/19/2020 at 11:03 PM, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Chatting with him last week... 4 stents fitted and found to have chip oil for blood... he's a lucky fella... the Doc reckoned if he hadn't had the procedure done he was a dead man walking... that was at the turn of the year... he's now lost 2 stone feels as fit as a lop and only has fish an chips once or twice a month now rather than three times a week... reckons he will retire early at the end of the year but I will believe that when a see it... lol...

He had a bit of a scare but he's being a good lad now and feels much better for it an hopes to visit a few tracks this year to watch a bit of speedway once we get over this Covid 19 carry on...

He's been told to save his chip day for the weekend he comes to Newcastle and I will treat him to a fish tea at old Christians now Oceans fish bar for some quality North Shields fish and chips...

Regards 

THJ 

I suggested that the root cause was all the speedway chips over the years but he reckoned it was the stress of the 3 Finals in 2018 :D.

Good to hear further news about his ongoing recovery . Hopefully he steers clear of Covid 19.

• Like 2

Workington Comets Speedway Print

As it's unlikely that the Comets will return to the track in the foreseeable future, the Speedway Star magazine has created a Workington Comets Speedway Print, covering 1970 to 2018, including photos of Lou Sansom, Carl Stonehewer, Craig Cook etc. and of course pictures of the 2018 treble winning team.

Prices start from £20 + P&P. It is advertised in this weeks Speedway Star. Alternatively e-mail coveadv@gmail.com if you are interested in seeing a sample of the print.

50 years ago today, the Comets held their first ever meeting at Derwent Park vs the Berwick Bandits in the Border Trophy. The Bandits won 39-37. Top scorer for Workington was Mal Mckay with 14 points from 5 rides.