British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spiegal

gp challenge 2020

His last meeting last year was the GB / Denmark test. He scored 10, apart from a couple of French league meetings,  ( admittedly not very strong although he beat Bomber a few times ) he’s only raced three meetings in the last 10 days, scoring 15, 10+1 & 13+1. And more meetings this Friday and next Tuesday 

I know he’s my son and therefore I’m biased but who else would you put in who’s getting regular competitive racing at the moment bearing in mind the meeting’s in 10 days time  ? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jonny the spud said:

His last meeting last year was the GB / Denmark test. He scored 10, apart from a couple of French league meetings,  ( admittedly not very strong although he beat Bomber a few times ) he’s only raced three meetings in the last 10 days, scoring 15, 10+1 & 13+1. And more meetings this Friday and next Tuesday 

I know he’s my son and therefore I’m biased but who else would you put in who’s getting regular competitive racing at the moment bearing in mind the meeting’s in 10 days time  ? 

At least he has raced, his form last season was as good as any Brit,deserves his chance IMO.Good luck to him.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jonny the spud said:

I'm never really a fan of "seeding" or "wild cards" and generally prefer riders to earn places on merit. As the prize on the end of this is such a potentially big one I don't see why any of the genuine contenders (Adam, Worrals, Wright, Cook etc) maybe couldn't have done a cut down mini race off either at Leicester, Scunny or Somerset or at the recent Youth meeting for the GP Challenge spot

21 hours ago, Grachan said:

Although, if the end of last season was his peak and he rides like that in this meeting he may well qualify.

I doubt it. Adam is 24 and these days most riders peak between 26 and 32. The number peaking before that (Batchelor, Karol Zabik, Ed Kennett) is small.

I fully expect Ellis to continue improving for another 3-4 years and under the circumstances his seeding seems justified. He's not ready for the GP series yet, but in three years he just might be and the Challenge will be good experience for him.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, arnieg said:

I doubt it. Adam is 24 and these days most riders peak between 26 and 32. The number peaking before that (Batchelor, Karol Zabik, Ed Kennett) is small.

I fully expect Ellis to continue improving for another 3-4 years and under the circumstances his seeding seems justified. He's not ready for the GP series yet, but in three years he just might be and the Challenge will be good experience for him.

I doubt it too. He showed last year and with his scoring this year that he is clearly still improving. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2020 at 8:35 PM, Jonny the spud said:

Nothing wrong with being biased,he's your lad, so it's in the job description, you're justifiably proud of him It doesn't matter if he was first,last or middle of the pack choice for the GB spot. He's been offered and accepted it. At the end of the day its a very strange old season i can see why riders not racing regularly have turned it down. Some riders need 4-5 meetings a week to keep themselves sharp, others can survive on 1-2. But none at all is a hell of a lot of ground to make up for. Say for instance Bomber had been asked, and i don't know if he was, and accepted this forum would be melting down by now. In the wild and wacky way the British work they call for a youngster to be given a chance and then moan when they get given the chance. As far as i'm concerned good luck Adam

• Like 4

On 8/12/2020 at 8:35 PM, Jonny the spud said:

Good luck.

On 8/13/2020 at 9:00 AM, arnieg said:

I wonder when Greg Hancock peaked?

32 minutes ago, iainb said:

He was still improving. If he hadn't retired, I reckon he would've peaked in his early sixties.:D

• Haha 2

Will be interesting to see what happens next week with the increasing Corona figures in Croatia.

For me as a Dutch person I need to get in a two week quarantine if I go to Croatia. Austria also introduced this rule today.

10 hours ago, iainb said:

He peaked in 1988 and then joined Cradley!!! :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Speedway28 said:

Can't see past Zagar, Laguta and Michelsen for this based on form. Lahti to pull off a slight surprise maybe? 

Yes.

• Like 1

There is a tweet saying Eleven Sport are showing GP Challenge so maybe there will be some streams available

37 minutes ago, severnsider said:

There is a tweet saying Eleven Sport are showing GP Challenge so maybe there will be some streams available

I have also been told by someone who should know that the meeting will also be  livestreamed.