British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Wimbledon's final meeting

1 minute ago, iris123 said:

Guess there were probably more greyhound meetings than both Motorsport lumped together

There most certainly were. Now of the two Plough Lane motorsports which of those had the most seasons at Plough Lane. If possible, how many actual seasons each had  there.

Speedway was held at Plough Lane between 1928-39, then from 1946-91 and finally from 2002-05.

Stock cars ran from 1962-2017.

4 hours ago, gustix said:

...but not as you would suggest between Our Lord and two disciples!

See, you are interpreting things to suit yourself! I deliberately worded it as to be ambiguous...

Trust me, I am not the *rsehole you are convinced I am. I am an amateur speedway historian who provides valuable input not only on the BSF, but to the sport as a whole. I am an experienced and successful (and respected) professional sports figure. I have a wonderful (albeit somewhat warped, at times) sense of humour. I am just intolerant of bigotry, hatred, negativity, and general stupidity.

When I provide input in reference to you comments or questions, you ignore them. When I ask you simple questions that require a simple answer, you refuse to answer.

Despite what you may think, my sole purpose in life is not to mock you or argue with you. Having said that, many of your posts do seem to encourage people (not just me) to react in those ways.

Life is too short to be a miserable git; I know, I used to be one! As I get older, I can't understand why so many people take everything - particularly themselves - too seriously. You really are one of those people.

I honestly am not trying to entice you in to saying something for which I can belittle you. I am trying to get you to understand that just because YOU may find something offensive, it doesn't mean it is.

One of the things I have learned about being in the US is that I am surrounded by snowflakes and the perpetually offended. Again, life is too short to find everything offensive. Are you American???

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, prodons said:

Speedway was held at Plough Lane between 1928-39, then from 1946-91 and finally from 2002-05.

Stock cars ran from 1962-2017.

Many thanks indeed for a responsive reply prodons. It's sad how many years have passed - all too quickly sadly - since when we were in contact at Wimbledon.

In regard to your excellent reply - and my poor maths skills - how many seasons in total; is that for each motorised formats.

I make it 60 seasons for speedway and 55 seasons for the cars. 

Edited by Guest

On 10/31/2019 at 4:34 PM, gustix said:

(1) Is it wrong to seek clarification as to what type of meeting was staged? 

(2) Re the track size (New Cross) I did not ask what the track size was. I referred to a Post elsewhere that originated on Facebook and gave a much different size to that which is accepted. My query was how the Poster of the wrong size arrived at his figure which was for more than 340 yards.

How would we be in any way able to help, not knowing the person, nor how the hell he came to the conclusion the track was that size? This needs clarification 

• Haha 1

Long shot Iris, but Google tells me that the New Cross greyhound track was 354 yards long.

Might explain the confusion..!

This might have been discussed here before so apologies if I’m simply bringing up an old topic.

Apparently New Plough Lane is a proposed stadium on the site of the old speedway/greyhound stadium in Southwest London. Once built, it will be the home of AFC Wimbledon. Was there ever any talk of including a speedway track?

18 hours ago, Split said:

This might have been discussed here before so apologies if I’m simply bringing up an old topic.

Apparently New Plough Lane is a proposed stadium on the site of the old speedway/greyhound stadium in Southwest London. Once built, it will be the home of AFC Wimbledon. Was there ever any talk of including a speedway track?

Yes, probably been discussed here and on every other Speedway / Stock Car / Greyhound racing forum for years,

but the football club were never interested in sharing  a stadium with  - Speedway , Stock Cars or Greyhound Racing ,  and  this suited the developers too as a multi use stadium would have been slightly bigger ,  meaning less room to build hundreds of Flats , which of course was their priority 

It might not have been practical or commercially viable but I always thought that it might have been a good idea to consider building a speedway track at the New Den. Millwall football club and New Cross Rangers would have been reunited as neighbours.

Seeing riders once again wearing orange and black would have been a dream come true. Sadly it's likely to remain just a dream.

Edited by Split
Corrections.

2 hours ago, Split said:

It might not have been practical or commercially viable but I always thought that it might have been a good idea to consider building a speedway track at the New Den. Millwall football club and New Cross Rangers would have been reunited as neighbours.

Seeing riders once again wearing orange and black would have been a dream come true. Sadly it's likely to remain just a dream.

Never in the equation. Speedway is long gone and not in the Millwall concept. Not really in the modern football concept of rectangular stadium, so the fans are close to the action. The New Den was supposed to be a multi- purpose stadium and the club did announce they were working with a company who wanted to put events on at the stadium. But it was no great success as far as I remember. Not sure if anything other than football now takes place

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

Never in the equation. Speedway is long gone and not in the Millwall concept. Not really in the modern football concept of rectangular stadium, so the fans are close to the action. The New Den was supposed to be a multi- purpose stadium and the club did announce they were working with a company who wanted to put events on at the stadium. But it was no great success as far as I remember. Not sure if anything other than football now takes place

Very little if anything goes on there now on a big scale.   The nhs used their facilities for donkeys years lots during the week for training etc but not even sure that takes place there anymore.

The area is grim now and sadly had speedway ever been a consideration when it was built in the early 90s, it would have probably succumbed by now anyway.  

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 9:25 PM, prodons said:

Long shot Iris, but Google tells me that the New Cross greyhound track was 354 yards long.

Might explain the confusion..!

Hi pardons

According to a New Cross v Wimbledon (National League) match programme I have dated 25 September 1946 it states on the front cover that the New Cross official track length was 262 yards. I have also just added this information onto the New Cross page on Wikipedia as it was missing.

Result of the match was New Cross 45, Wimbledon 30 in a 14 heat encounter despite a 12 maximum from Wimbledon's number 1 Norman Parker.

Edited by Robbie B

On 11/10/2019 at 12:18 PM, Robbie B said:

Hi pardons

According to a New Cross v Wimbledon (National League) match programme I have dated 25 September 1946 it states on the front cover that the New Cross official track length was 262 yards. I have also just added this information onto the New Cross page on Wikipedia as it was missing.

Yes, it was 262 yards from the time it opened in 1934 until it closed in 1953. The final track record was held by Cyril Roger - 56.0, recorded on 3 October 1951.

When it reopened in 1959, the track length was 278 yards and stayed at that until final closure in 1963. The last track record was 57.0 seconds. Ove Fundin recorded this in the Gold Helmet Match Race decider against Barry Briggs held on 27 July 1960 (and I was there!).

Edited by norbold
  • Like 1