British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Wimbledon's final meeting

5 minutes ago, RobMcCaffery said:

The 2002 Wimbledon opener should never have happened, and that's coming from someone who was involved in the new promotion as a publicist. 

It had been demonstrated by Len Silver at Rye House that it was possible to 'lay and lift' a shale track over a tarmac surface and a similar solution was initially adopted for the Plough Lane revival. It's not exactly an easy technique, laying a shale track just for one night, unless you have a GP-style budget and even in ideal weather conditions you're taking a risk.

When the heavens opened it was clear that it was impossible to go ahead. One of the promoting pair together with most of his team knew it had to be called off. However there was a second promoter who, I am told, overruled the only sensible decision.

The resulting fiasco split the partnership with the one who claimed he wanted it postponing having the responsibility dumped on him. 

I cannot mention names because one of the promoters is notorious at bullying forum owners with legal threats.

Unfortunately so often in speedway it's the good guys who receive the bovine excrement while the guilty use their financial power or sheer ability to bully to walk away with a clean reputation.

I stayed in my role for a while, even going with the team to Buxton where only one promoter was there. He told me later that he had parted company with his partner but couldn't even find the decency to face me and tell me in Derbyshire.

Since that wholly unsavoury experience apart from helping out at the delightful Iwade for a couple of seasons I have kept well clear of working in speedway. I still love the sport, but certainly not the way it is run or too many of the people involved in it. I saw too much. Self-respect is something I wasn't prepared to compromise any longer. 

I am amazed it took so long  for you to start talking about yourself .

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, orion said:

I am amazed it took so long  for you to start talking about yourself .

I write an honest piece and get the usual rubbish from you. You illustrate my point about some of the people who I encountered in the sport who made me wish I hadn't bothered. I hope I didn't meet you. I obviously can'tr tell since you spread your poison from the cowardly defence of a false name. You disgust me.

In a way this incident sums up my experience of the sport. You do something honestly and with the right intentions to help people understand what went on and you get reptiles like you crawling out from under your stone. 

I talk about the sport and mention my own experiences. Somehow that's a crime in your eyes. Perhaps it's because you've done f all for the sport except sneer at those who have at least tried. 

But then anonymity is so convenient eh, especially for cowards like you. It's clear that anything I post is going to get crass responses from you like this so it's best if I don't bother. 

I met plenty of egomaniacs in the sport, especially in announcing and writing. I assure you I'm not one of them Perhaps you should  try taking them on? I gave a damn. More fool me, eh? 

I'll let you get back to your poison pen letters, oh superior one.....

Anyway, for those people who are interested in the sport rather than hurting others I hope my original post helped them understand what went on at Wimbledon. Sadly orion puts his need to be unpleasant to others above that. Perhaps my posting went over his shabby little head? 

Anyway, apologies for making a posting. I must remember that I have to ask permission from an idiot in Wiltshire first. 

Speedway, a great sport, ruined by people who don't give a damn about others. 

Edited by RobMcCaffery
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

I talk about the sport and mention my own experiences.

Really ? I not sure   anyone on the forum has Ever  notice that .. :rofl: No wonder they call you uncle albert .

• Haha 1

Speedway ceased at Wimbledon in 2005, but both greyhound racing and short circuit car racing continued at the stadium for at least another 10 years.

Did anyone attend the last car meeting? They featured a special farewell to speedway event at this. 

Edited by Guest

22 hours ago, chunky said:

No, Jesus was third. As gustix said, there was a runoff for first between Peter and Paul; they both rode for the Saints...

I made no such comment. I would never belittle religion.

Edited by Guest

9 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

I write an honest piece and get the usual rubbish from you. You illustrate my point about some of the people who I encountered in the sport who made me wish I hadn't bothered. I hope I didn't meet you. I obviously can'tr tell since you spread your poison from the cowardly defence of a false name. You disgust me.

In a way this incident sums up my experience of the sport. You do something honestly and with the right intentions to help people understand what went on and you get reptiles like you crawling out from under your stone. 

I talk about the sport and mention my own experiences. Somehow that's a crime in your eyes. Perhaps it's because you've done f all for the sport except sneer at those who have at least tried. 

But then anonymity is so convenient eh, especially for cowards like you. It's clear that anything I post is going to get crass responses from you like this so it's best if I don't bother. 

I met plenty of egomaniacs in the sport, especially in announcing and writing. I assure you I'm not one of them Perhaps you should  try taking them on? I gave a damn. More fool me, eh? 

I'll let you get back to your poison pen letters, oh superior one.....

Anyway, for those people who are interested in the sport rather than hurting others I hope my original post helped them understand what went on at Wimbledon. Sadly orion puts his need to be unpleasant to others above that. Perhaps my posting went over his shabby little head? 

Anyway, apologies for making a posting. I must remember that I have to ask permission from an idiot in Wiltshire first. 

Speedway, a great sport, ruined by people who don't give a damn about others. 

I found your comment most interesting and thought provoking Rob McCaffery. Sadly elsewhere one has to contend in many instances with the activities of the keyboard warriors.

2 hours ago, gustix said:

You said, "Wasn't there a tie-break race to decide the winner?" So yes, you DID suggest there was a run-off...

3 hours ago, gustix said:

Speedway ceased at Wimbledon in 2005, but both greyhound racing and short circuit car racing continued at the stadium for at least another 10 years.

Did anyone attend the last car meeting? They featured a special farewell to speedway event at this. 

Yes I was there and was a celebration of the memories of a great sport (Stock Cars) over the years.

4 hours ago, gustix said:

How did I "belittle" religion?

Was it the fact that I used the names Peter and Paul?

Was it the fact that I suggested they ride for Southampton?

Was it the fact that I uttered the name "Jesus"? Of course it wasn't Jesus; wrong sport...

Would you be offended by me suggesting that Jesus is a valuable member of the Manchester City squad?

Would you be offended by me suggesting that the Rochdale FC fans had a whip round to get Jesus to their final match of the season a couple of years ago?

I am just looking for serious answers to each of those questions.

2 hours ago, chunky said:

You said, "Wasn't there a tie-break race to decide the winner?" So yes, you DID suggest there was a run-off...

...but not as you would suggest between Our Lord and two disciples!

59 minutes ago, chunky said:

How did I "belittle" religion?

Was it the fact that I used the names Peter and Paul?

Was it the fact that I suggested they ride for Southampton?

Was it the fact that I uttered the name "Jesus"? Of course it wasn't Jesus; wrong sport...

Would you be offended by me suggesting that Jesus is a valuable member of the Manchester City squad?

Would you be offended by me suggesting that the Rochdale FC fans had a whip round to get Jesus to their final match of the season a couple of years ago?

I am just looking for serious answers to each of those questions.

You are struggling to entice me into making a comment that you will then enjoy endeavouring to belittle what I say. I can't see the point (oops!!!) of all this. Think what you want, say what you want.

2 hours ago, BangerBoy said:

Yes I was there and was a celebration of the memories of a great sport (Stock Cars) over the years.

I think the 'stock cars' had more active seasons at Wimbledon than the speedway did? 

1 minute ago, gustix said:

I think the 'stock cars' had more active seasons at Wimbledon than the speedway did? 

Not sure there was a competition or anyone was counting. But I guess dogs won...

7 minutes ago, gustix said:

6 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Not sure there was a competition or anyone was counting. But I guess dogs won...

Yes! We know there were more greyhound seasons at Wimbledon than either of the two motor sports. But it would still be interesting to note which of the two motor sports had the most seasons at Wimbledon.

1 minute ago, gustix said:

Yes! We know there were more greyhound seasons at Wimbledon than either of the two motor sports. But it would still be interesting to note which of the two motor sports had the most seasons at Wimbledon.

Guess there were probably more greyhound meetings than both Motorsport lumped together