British Speedway Forum

After the recent GB test match v Denmark, with somewhat weakened teams, I wondered about the selection of Team GB for a test match. What would your selection be for a full  strength seven man team? Assume all riders available and on reasonable form. No particular track in mind, so no horses for courses, and no tactical switches such as putting best rider at number 7. I will make my selection.

1 Woffy

2 King

3 Cook

4 Wright

5 Lambert

6 Ellis 

7 Bewley.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Well done, that's the best team, easy going first,,,,,,,, next topic 

Don't be daft. There's about 12 riders who's teams fans have yet to demand they should be in the team

13 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Well done, that's the best team, easy going first,,,,,,,, next topic 

I don't think King should be anywhere near the GB side anymore, had his chance. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ShyTalk said:

After the recent GB test match v Denmark, with somewhat weakened teams, I wondered about the selection of Team GB for a test match. What would your selection be for a full  strength seven man team? Assume all riders available and on reasonable form. No particular track in mind, so no horses for courses, and no tactical switches such as putting best rider at number 7. I will make my selection.

1 Woffy

2 King

3 Cook

4 Wright

5 Lambert

6 Ellis 

7 Bewley.

If you remember, it’s no longer “TeamGB” (thank goodness) 

They ride as “Great Britain”

One thing the “powers that be” have got right

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Midland Red said:

If you remember, it’s no longer “TeamGB” (thank goodness) 

They ride as “Great Britain”

One thing the “powers that be” have got right

Always preferred England.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Always preferred England.

Even with Ken McKinlay?

Edited by The White Knight

7 minutes ago, The White Knight said:

Even with Ken McKinley?

Got his name wrong, but despite that in my time of going he never rode for England. Think Steve is talking about the England teams of the 70s most probably. And who of that generation can argue that those teams were great ?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, The White Knight said:

Even with Ken McKinley?

Remember when the Scots (McKinlay, McMillan and Hunter) riding as Great Britain (British "Lions") together with English lads which was perfectly fine. Not sure when the last Scot, or indeed Welshman, last rode for Great Britain. Perhaps someone could enlighten me? It's a subject that Peter Collins was passionate about when interviewed a few years back.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Got his name wrong, but despite that in my time of going he never rode for England. Think Steve is talking about the England teams of the 70s most probably. And who of that generation can argue that those teams were great ?

Ooops!!

Edited.

Cheers. :t:

18 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Remember when the Scots (McKinlay, McMillan and Hunter) riding as Great Britain (British "Lions") together with English lads which was perfectly fine. Not sure when the last Scot, or indeed Welshman, last rode for Great Britain. Perhaps someone could enlighten me? It's a subject that Peter Collins was passionate about when interviewed a few years back.

And Bert Harkins was, probably still is passionate about getting a Scotland team back. Sadly now it appears to be a non starter as I would think they’d have trouble getting a competitive pair, let alone team

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, The White Knight said:

Even with Ken McKinlay?

Incidently one of my first heroes when he rode for "The Rebels" during my first year attending speedway in his immaculate black leathers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Incidently one of my first heroes when he rode for "The Rebels" during my first year attending speedway in his immaculate black leathers.

..................... and 'Bobble Hat'. :approve:

• Like 2

Should be called England. No Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish riders ride in the squad and haven’t for as long as I can remember. 

im Welsh but still can’t see why they keep the TEAM GB tag. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Pinny said:

Should be called England. No Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish riders ride in the squad and haven’t for as long as I can remember. 

im Welsh but still can’t see why they keep the TEAM GB tag. 

The Team GB tag was dropped this season - except by Natalie and Scott