British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DC2

Is Jordan Palin ready for Championship speedway?

Being around the junior scene for many years now with my own produced riders, I have watched his progress and he is the real deal. He has progressed very steadily with great support from his whole family. He is not dirty, he is not a throttle basher, but he is a very technical astute rider who has great confidence and style. Of the recent great successes emanating from the junior scene and the NL, Jordan is the best, and is now being pushed by the Thompson twins, who will make great progress next year. My protege Archie Freeman is next, and next year we have hopes that he will follow in the same direction that Jordan has.

The junior scene is looking very good and healthy,  but we need a National League to drop into for more competition to take them to the next step, the Champiomsship.

• Like 3

Having watched JP, week in week out at amateur meetings, practice sessions, he's certainly mastered the Scunthorpe track, and I think he will be okay at home, Im not too sure on his experience on other Championship tracks, but with hopefully a older, more experienced reserve to help him, he should be ok.

An interesting debate. A couple of us were having a similar discussion about the Thompsons recently. The defining argument was that they would probably be racing against the same riders next years as this. We all know that "going up" a year (or 2) early is worse than staying down a year too long. But these kids are ambitious and we should do everything to make their progress possible. 

I'll tell you this. Seeing Jordan and the Thompsons racing at Leicester on 23rd October certainly made me think they were all the real deal.

• Like 1

Chris Holder stayed down an extra season with the IOW before moving up to Poole.

He seemed convinced that the extra experience, even in a league he had already mastered, was better for him.

Very few riders master a league and are ready to move up in just one season.

Yeah he is ready like I said a few weeks back that he'll be well capable of keeping the 2 point average & could possibly put a point on around the EWR & a half a point away at some not all tracks.. the lad had a great family behind him & also a good mentor in Wayne carter.. definitely 1 for the future as will young Archie Freeman & Danny Smith also Ben trigger & apologies if I have forgot to mention more but the future is looking good for GB SPEEDWAY

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DC2 said:

Chris Holder stayed down an extra season with the IOW before moving up to Poole.

He seemed convinced that the extra experience, even in a league he had already mastered, was better for him.

Very few riders master a league and are ready to move up in just one season.

Jason Crump advised Chris to do another season at IOW before moving up

Anyway, apologies for deviating, back to thread topic...

17 hours ago, CottonOn said:

What's wrong with 16 year old Palin riding in the 2nd division.

16-year-old Peter Collins, Chris Morton, Michael Lee, Kenny Carter, Andy Smith, are just a few riders I remember riding in the 1st division.

Gordon Kennett, Dave Jessup, Martin Dugard. David Norris, from an Eastbourne perspective. Im sure we can name a few from our own clubs..

2 hours ago, False dawn said:

An interesting debate. A couple of us were having a similar discussion about the Thompsons recently. The defining argument was that they would probably be racing against the same riders next years as this. We all know that "going up" a year (or 2) early is worse than staying down a year too long. But these kids are ambitious and we should do everything to make their progress possible. 

I'll tell you this. Seeing Jordan and the Thompsons racing at Leicester on 23rd October certainly made me think they were all the real deal.

Am I correct  in thinking you have to be 16 to ride in the Championship ? If so, the Thompson twins aren't 16 until 22nd April, anyone signing them would mean having a late start to the season, by 22nd April this year Leicester had already ridden 8 meetings. Could anyone signing either of them run with guests until they are old enough ? I doubt that would be allowed. So presumably a team would have to sign another rider then replace when they were old enough.

1 hour ago, M.D said:

Gordon Kennett, Dave Jessup, Martin Dugard. David Norris, from an Eastbourne perspective. Im sure we can name a few from our own clubs..

But they didn't do very well, did they. :)

Plenty of other examples of 16 year olds around who made the grade.

It is not all about age...it is about experience and ability.

The Thompson twins case is an interesting one as others have said they don’t 16 until late April so which clubs sign them will have to go with other 3pt riders to start the season.

Also both of the twins are  very intelligent with one wanting to be a Vet at some point in his life. The family are keen for them to get good formal qualifications at school so ideally they were looking at doing NL only in 2020 until exams were over in June but with the future of that league in doubt this may not be an option.

Both Joe & Dan are very skilful motorcyclists and can have a good future in Speedway and I know Tai is going to help them further later in the winter once he is back and is keen to get them out to Poland at Wroclaw practising once 16 to practice with the Wroclaw juniors 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gringo said:

Gary Havelock was 16 y-o when he rode for Middlesbrough in 1985.

And doing his exams. Whilst riding for the "Tigers".

6 minutes ago, Gringo said:

Gary Havelock was 16 y-o when he rode for Middlesbrough in 1985.

How old was Kenny Carter when he rode for us at Newcastle. Must have been about 16.

2 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

How old was Kenny Carter when he rode for us at Newcastle. Must have been about 16.

17 according to wiki.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mikebaker said:

And doing his exams. Whilst riding for the "Tigers".

And Happy 51st Birthday to Gary on Monday 4th.