British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DC2

Is Jordan Palin ready for Championship speedway?

On 11/4/2019 at 9:35 AM, squall said:

Poland keep under 21 riders at reserve regardless of ability, points scored, or how poor a main body rider has performed. They reap the rewards with multiple GP standard riders and domination of the world cup.

We push our youngsters up into the main body ASAP and have half of them pack it in halfway through the season. The only GP standard riders we have both learned their trade abroad.

Yes, keeping them at reserve would be a terrible idea.

Smektala, Drabik etc are examples of how Poland Bring on their youngsters. Seems to work doesn't it. Perhaps we should consider doing something similar such as keeping a youngster at reserve until he is 18 or until he attains a certain average. In Palins case I would like to see him in a reserve spot for at least the next full season.

1 hour ago, Barrow Boy 2 said:

Smektala, Drabik etc are examples of how Poland Bring on their youngsters. Seems to work doesn't it. Perhaps we should consider doing something similar such as keeping a youngster at reserve until he is 18 or until he attains a certain average. In Palins case I would like to see him in a reserve spot for at least the next full season.

Too much like common sense...

1 hour ago, Barrow Boy 2 said:

Don't forget that isn't the whole story though. Poland take a genuine interest in junior riders, they have to be a certain calibre to even make squads in lower divisions but they are all given track time and assistance (something that several clubs in this country choose to ignore). They are then given the chance to spend some time in a protected position but they are already well on the way to making the grade before that point.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2019 at 10:09 AM, Sings4Speedway said:

Don't forget that isn't the whole story though. Poland take a genuine interest in junior riders, they have to be a certain calibre to even make squads in lower divisions but they are all given track time and assistance (something that several clubs in this country choose to ignore). They are then given the chance to spend some time in a protected position but they are already well on the way to making the grade before that point.

Most of them.

As long as Simon Lambert gets the tougher number 6 team spot, Palin should be ok at number 7!

Edited by szkocjasid

On 11/2/2019 at 5:05 PM, DC2 said:

Chris Holder stayed down an extra season with the IOW before moving up to Poole.

He seemed convinced that the extra experience, even in a league he had already mastered, was better for him.

Very few riders master a league and are ready to move up in just one season.

Chris Holder did two years at Championship level, Darcy Ward did one, Jason Crump did two years, Leigh Adams one! I guess it's what the rider feels is the right time to move up for him!

• Like 1

On 11/3/2019 at 11:37 PM, poolebolton said:

He will be at 7 on a 2 point average. No pressure on him what so ever. And that’s what you want. 

Unless he is put at number 6 and after heat 2, has to race the 1+2 / 3+4 pairings each meeting!

15 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Unless he is put at number 6 and after heat 2, has to race the 1+2 / 3+4 pairings each meeting!

The lad rose from a 3 point average in the NL last year to a 9 plus average so a reckon the answer is YES... 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Chris Holder did two years at Championship level, Darcy Ward did one, Jason Crump did two years, Leigh Adams one! I guess it's what the rider feels is the right time to move up for him!

Jordan is doing another year in the NDL so will still be learning & getting extra rides(although not many meetings for feeder clubs). Maybe he needs a bit of pre season practice at smaller tracks like Leicester or Newcastle, although he did score well at most sized tracks last year.

On 1/20/2020 at 9:50 PM, szkocjasid said:

23 hours ago, pienpeesman said:

The lad rose from a 3 point average in the NL last year to a 9 plus average so a reckon the answer is YES... 

My point is he didn't have to face pairings like Nick Morris & Ellis Perks / Kyle Howarth & Ty Proctor / Charles Wright & Kasper Andersen /Michael P Toft & Jordan Stewart!

5 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

My point is he didn't have to face pairings like Nick Morris & Ellis Perks / Kyle Howarth & Ty Proctor / Charles Wright & Kasper Andersen /Michael P Toft & Jordan Stewart!

for young Palin to progress these are the parings he needs to face and with no pressure and no one expecting too much from Jordon is there a better time? 

On 11/1/2019 at 11:58 PM, DC2 said:

It’s pretty alarming that a 15 year old lad who turns 16 next February and who has completed just one season in the NL has been signed for Scunthorpe next season?

Is he old enough? Is he experienced enough? Will he lose confidence? Will he put other riders at risk?

It’s crazy, isn’t it? Surely it’s at least a season too soon?

How does his progress compare with Chris Holder, Tai Woffinden, Lewis Bridger and Drew Kemp?

Shouldn’t riders complete at least two seasons in the NL?

http://www.speedwaygb.co.uk/news.php?extend.37681

What a poor post  riders at risk what are you talking about ??? It might be to soon for him he might not yet be good anough but as a rider he has a superb riding style and he is a down to earth level headed lad.Also in the Championship if he can score two or three points he has done his job it is whether he can learn and keep on improving.Why do SOME??? knock youngsters young Rowe at Swindon another one he will find it dreadfully hard at times but we need to encourage not knock.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

What a poor post  riders at risk what are you talking about ??? It might be to soon for him he might not yet be good anough but as a rider he has a superb riding style and he is a down to earth level headed lad.Also in the Championship if he can score two or three points he has done his job it is whether he can learn and keep on improving.Why do SOME??? knock youngsters young Rowe at Swindon another one he will find it dreadfully hard at times but we need to encourage not knock.

Yes, I agree that we need to encourage young riders. That’s obvious.

But there is also a responsibility to ensure that young riders are not promoted before they are ready because that can damage their confidence. There are plenty of examples of that over the last few years.

18 hours ago, DC2 said:

Yes, I agree that we need to encourage young riders. That’s obvious.

But there is also a responsibility to ensure that young riders are not promoted before they are ready because that can damage their confidence. There are plenty of examples of that over the last few years.

Point taken but the there is the other side of the arguement and young Kyle Bickley is the example.At Worky he was struggling really badly but the club were superb they could see the bigger picture and the young lad showed real character and guts to come through.Ok his development has not been overwhelming but there is a good rider in there and for me Palin is one of the best young stylists i have seen in a longtime.I would love to see him develope nicely and as another post says have a rule that keeps these sort of rider's at reserve for at least two years.I would love to see  him race for the Aces  ( and Connor Bailey) in the future full time when they are good anough the track suits them  and both would be fine at the NSS.Also this year if you were ever going to bring a youngster in at reserve this would be the year with the likes of Bickley,Stoneman. Gilkes, Ledwith, Thomas, Thompson (2) Bailey,Flint ( etc).Also by all accounts Jordan has done a few laps around Scunny and he should also be able to practice there in the year at home i can see him holding his own.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 7:46 AM, Sidney the robin said:

Also this year if you were ever going to bring a youngster in at reserve this would be the year with the likes of Bickley,Stoneman. Gilkes, Ledwith, Thomas, Thompson (2) Bailey,Flint ( etc)

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: 

• Haha 1