British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DC2

Is Jordan Palin ready for Championship speedway?

Even exceptional riders can only get so far without huge funding. Tai admits that the early days his kit was rubbish but he then landed some mega sponsors and didn't look back. Young riders now need multiple good bikes and engines to even break into the sport for a normal season, the levels of presentation and PR required of them are huge to attact clubs and sponsors along with keeping fans on side and thats without the pressures of scoring points and maintaining any run of form. These are pressures that are not being applied to adults but children, kids are being raised in this manner from a very young age that they will succeed in speedway. Sadly the lack of depth in the UK means that these youngsters with big early funding can rise quite quickly and then stagnate once a level is found, its the ability to break through that barrier and achieve even higher that separate the good from the great.

• Like 1

I think the marginal gains like fitness, diet and psychology are really important nowadays too, Woffinden and Lambert like most other to riders recognise this and they are two very good role models for our youngsters to aspire to. They both rode in all three of our leagues as teenagers as well as getting experience abroad as soon as they could do the example and the pathways are there for Kemp, Rowe, Palin etc to follow if they want to be the best they can be. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Fromafar said:

I back the young Brits 100%,trouble is the sport has nosedived in GB over the last 10-15 years and these riders have trouble getting serious sponsors nowadays and the way the sport has developed technically you need to invested fairly large sums of cash to compete at Top level.We still have situation where after a  few years in the sport most youngsters settle for earning decent money in GB ( doubling up ect).These days maybe numbered given the recent Pandemic.World Class is very difficult to achieve in any Sport.

100% agree as it's cost me a fair few bob over the few years 

4 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I think the marginal gains like fitness, diet and psychology are really important nowadays too, Woffinden and Lambert like most other to riders recognise this and they are two very good role models for our youngsters to aspire to. They both rode in all three of our leagues as teenagers as well as getting experience abroad as soon as they could do the example and the pathways are there for Kemp, Rowe, Palin etc to follow if they want to be the best they can be. 

Quite agree about progress and magical gains. Unlike some on here I don't even think of comparing young riders with others in the past who got to Poland and world championships. Riders all have their own ability, which as you say can be enhanced with fitness, nutrition, life style, coaching, competitive racing, etc, and it's by following that sort of path that riders and their supporters can gauge how far they are capable of getting to in our sport. Looking at Palin, Kemp, Thompsons twins, Rowe, etc and only thinking they are successful it they reach the world stage is foolish. If say any of them reach contesting being British Champion, I would say they were successful even if circumstances mean they can't go to the next stage. There needs to be a more realistic assessmeant of the next set of young riders.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Quite agree about progress and magical gains. Unlike some on here I don't even think of comparing young riders with others in the past who got to Poland and world championships. Riders all have their own ability, which as you say can be enhanced with fitness, nutrition, life style, coaching, competitive racing, etc, and it's by following that sort of path that riders and their supporters can gauge how far they are capable of getting to in our sport. Looking at Palin, Kemp, Thompsons twins, Rowe, etc and only thinking they are successful it they reach the world stage is foolish. If say any of them reach contesting being British Champion, I would say they were successful even if circumstances mean they can't go to the next stage. There needs to be a more realistic assessmeant of the next set of young riders.  

Agree a more realistic assessment is needed,a decent career in Uk should be the big aim for most of the youngsters.World Stage is a different ball game for the majority.One of the difficulties is the drop in standard of GB speedway it’s a small stepping stone to reach the Top compared to the past.Top Brits in previous era were guaranteed rides abroad, that is not the case nowadays. 

Yes from an Edinburgh fan.

Scored double what 4 of our riders did put together yesterday.

New question... will Jordan Palin return to Championship speedway?

1 minute ago, iainb said:

New question... will Jordan Palin return to Championship speedway?

No he announced his retirement a couple of months ago 

13 minutes ago, lewy said:

No he announced his retirement a couple of months ago 

Oh no! I missed that, due to his injury?

7 minutes ago, iainb said:

Oh no! I missed that, due to his injury?

Yes basically said its not worth the risk

• Thanks 1

What a terrible shame, probably a wise decision though in terms of risk vs reward

I think the answer to the original question... was yes!