British Speedway Forum

The Kent Championship line-up is a sound mix of experience and youth. One cannot evaluate how the individual riders will fare at this stage therefore it is unfair of pundits on this forum to pick holes in individuals. I have over the years seen riders expected to perform well fall back on their averages as well as others who were not expected to do well over-perform. At this stage in my speedway life I am happy to see the lads out on track doing their utmost for the team and that can also be in the pits. Keep an open mind I suggest.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Rebel1 said:

The Kent Championship line-up is a sound mix of experience and youth. One cannot evaluate how the individual riders will fare at this stage therefore it is unfair of pundits on this forum to pick holes in individuals. I have over the years seen riders expected to perform well fall back on their averages as well as others who were not expected to do well over-perform. At this stage in my speedway life I am happy to see the lads out on track doing their utmost for the team and that can also be in the pits. Keep an open mind I suggest.

Averages don't lie. Yes, some will out perform but others will fall short. As a general guide, averages are there or thereabouts as a form guide. However, youngsters are always likely to out-perform .

3 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Averages don't lie. Yes, some will out perform but others will fall short. As a general guide, averages are there or thereabouts as a form guide. However, youngsters are always likely to out-perform .

As the adverts for financial services always say - Past perfomance is no guarantee of future performance.

But averages are a useful guide and the way team building has to be done so they have their place.

9 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

As the adverts for financial services always say - Past perfomance is no guarantee of future performance.

But averages are a useful guide and the way team building has to be done so they have their place.

Totally agree. The skill is picking those who will improve.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DC2 said:

The time might come when you eat your words regarding Jed List:

http://speedwayupdates.proboards.com/thread/19581/victorian-albury-wodonga-14th-december

A strange decision by Scunthorpe regarding List again averages having a great bearing on the decision.List coming in on a four meaning he was in a top five a huge ask if he had been  at reserve all year he would of been fine. Just  look at young Bailey at Glasgow he was given time to find his feet and will be super rider in time.Strange by Scunny really as there record of given prolonged runs in the team to riders is  renowned.Also in there defence they brought in Danny Ayres which was a great move he is a favourite of mine and is worth the entrance money just to see him ride.He is a real crowd pleaser and  this years British Final he made that meeting along with Charlie Wright.

8 hours ago, DC2 said:

The time might come when you eat your words regarding Jed List:

http://speedwayupdates.proboards.com/thread/19581/victorian-albury-wodonga-14th-december

Australia results mean nothing. As proved time and time again. If we went by Aussie results Rohan Tungate might be the best rider in the world. 

also against a field with 1 real challenger in Cook because Gilmore was injured. 

2 hours ago, poolebolton said:

Australia results mean nothing. As proved time and time again. If we went by Aussie results Rohan Tungate might be the best rider in the world. 
also against a field with 1 real challenger in Cook because Gilmore was injured. 

You do talk some rubbish.

Just compare the results of Aussies against those of the Brits over the last ten years and take a look at the riders in our leagues this year.

Doyle, Batchelor and Fricke. Where were the Brits?

And even the next rung down, Kurtz, Holder and Masters on a par with our best, Lambert, Cook and Bewley.

All from a country that doesn’t have a league of its own.

And if you put their seven best under 21 riders against ours they’d probably win despite not having ridden in our country (with the exception of Lidsey).

19 minutes ago, DC2 said:

You do talk some rubbish.

Just compare the results of Aussies against those of the Brits over the last ten years and take a look at the riders in our leagues this year.

Doyle, Batchelor and Fricke. Where were the Brits?

And even the next rung down, Kurtz, Holder and Masters on a par with our best, Lambert, Cook and Bewley.

All from a country that doesn’t have a league of its own.

And if you put their seven best under 21 riders against ours they’d probably win despite not having ridden in our country (with the exception of Lidsey).

That’s not the point at all. I’m saying Aussie results don’t translate to European form. Prime example being List and Tungate for that matter. 

He was in a field against one of the top u21 Aussie riders. Cook who came 2nd. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, poolebolton said:

That’s not the point at all. I’m saying Aussie results don’t translate to European form. Prime example being List and Tungate for that matter. 
He was in a field against one of the top u21 Aussie riders. Cook who came 2nd. 

Where else is he supposed to produce results? 

I think the young Aussies would edge this U21 meeting:

Bewley, Kemp, Rowe, Flint, Palin, Gilkes, Edwards

Jaimon Lidsey, Zach Cook, Jordan Stewart, Zane Kennedy, Matthew Gilmore, Connor Bailey, Jed List

Unless, of course, we included Robert Lambert.  :)

3 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Jaimon Lidsey, Zach Cook, Jordan Stewart, Zane Kennedy, Matthew Gilmore, Connor Bailey, Jed List

Bailey is british. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, poolebolton said:

Bailey is british. 

Does he not have dual nationality, but has been brought up in Australia?

He rode in this year’s Aussie U21 Championship.

“Glasgow are delighted to announce our new signing, 16-year-old Australian prospect, Connor Bailey. The Australian is set to make his debut in British speedway following a rise through the ranks down-under, including a range of titles in both 125cc and 250cc categories.”

Edited by DC2

14 minutes ago, DC2 said:

You also haven't included Brennan and Bickley in the British side, who are considerably better than Gilkes and Edwards. If they were included then I would say the British side edges it.