British Speedway Forum

Could Kent become defunct like rye house? Bitten off more than they can chew maybe? 

On 2/6/2020 at 1:39 PM, Sings4Speedway said:

Len turned 88 over the weekend. Lets face it he isn't chasing the profits (thats Roger Cearns) but he doesn't want to be pumping his own money into the project either. Kent have run a profit each season which is the right way to do business however not if the fans are those who are being forced out in the process.

Thanks for the info.  He's a bit older than  me, but not by much.  If, as you say, Kent has run at a profit each season, then the pricing must have been right. Is it now

too much ?  I will still go as my income will stretch to the extra bit and I still love my speedway even though the Hammers no longer exist and I am a transfer fan of Kent these days.

At Lakeside, even though I supported the team, I hated the stadium, nowhere for a pensioner like me to sit down unless you went into the upstairs bar which I didn't like. One of

the reasons I went to Kent was the excellent grandstand and facilities.  Maybe it's that which has allowed the club to show a profit in the past ?

3 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

Thanks for the info.  He's a bit older than  me, but not by much.  If, as you say, Kent has run at a profit each season, then the pricing must have been right. Is it now

too much ?  I will still go as my income will stretch to the extra bit and I still love my speedway even though the Hammers no longer exist and I am a transfer fan of Kent these days.

At Lakeside, even though I supported the team, I hated the stadium, nowhere for a pensioner like me to sit down unless you went into the upstairs bar which I didn't like. One of

the reasons I went to Kent was the excellent grandstand and facilities.  Maybe it's that which has allowed the club to show a profit in the past ?

At £19 and the most expensive in the land i believe even more so for concessions as there is no discount i would certainly say its too much. A business approach of hiking the prices and buckling to riders demands is not sustainable. Offer a better product to attract higher numbers, say enough is enough to riders or offer them reasons to sign that are not purely financial. Last season the NL price went up with reasons quoted as Drew Kemps kevlars cost over £1000 (they didn't JC Pro are cheaper than that unless you throw in plenty of extras). Rye House ran in team suits for years without an increase. 

Ultimately it boils down to "its your money, its your choice" but i feel that Kent will need to be offering something extra special year on year to keep the crowd numbers where they need to be.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Ultimately it boils down to "its your money, its your choice" but i feel that Kent will need to be offering something extra special year on year to keep the crowd numbers where they need to be.

Kent are indeed offering something special, called Championship speedway, which their public haven't seen previously. 

As for it being higher-priced that elsewhere, l'd gently point out the location in the wealthy bottom-right corner of the island. 

Local income, and personal wealth will be considerably greater than in and around (say) Newcastle, Redcar or Berwick. 

Thus, pro-rata, their pricing is maybe about the right level. 

Discuss? 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

Kent are indeed offering something special, called Championship speedway, which their public haven't seen previously. 

As for it being higher-priced that elsewhere, l'd gently point out the location in the wealthy bottom-right corner of the island. 

Local income, and personal wealth will be considerably greater than in and around (say) Newcastle, Redcar or Berwick. 

Discuss? 

Personal weath/income maybe be greater in the south east, but disposable income is probably no greater, especially when property is concerned, purchase price or rent on an average 2 /3 bed property in the south compared to the north more than wipes out any gain in income. I know there are other factors, employment being the main one,  but I do think the north south divide is a bit of a myth, you only have to look around some of our southern coastal towns to see some deprivation.

Edited by gazzac
  • Like 5

58 minutes ago, gazzac said:

Personal weath/income maybe be greater in the south east, but disposable income is probably no greater, especially when property is concerned, purchase price or rent on an average 2 /3 bed property in the south compared to the north more than wipes out any gain in income. I know there are other factors, employment being the main one,  but I do think the north south divide is a bit of a myth, you only have to look around some of our southern coastal towns to see some deprivation.

Yes deprivation is rife around the coast of Kent and into E. Sussex. Went to Margate one summer a few years back on a Monday and Margate was closed. No joke: the Turner Gallery, many shops also shut. No-one on beach and desolate place.

1 hour ago, Richard Weston said:

Yes deprivation is rife around the coast of Kent and into E. Sussex. Went to Margate one summer a few years back on a Monday and Margate was closed. No joke: the Turner Gallery, many shops also shut. No-one on beach and desolate place.

Did they know you were going? :)

At least assume parking was ok and you got the space you wanted on the beach. 

Edited by gazzac

Plenty of parking, all the space on beach: how different to when I went as a child...place was thriving in those days

18 hours ago, crescent girl said:

Discuss? 

Don't agree with that at all.

Poole - next to Sandbanks (richest bit of real Estate in UK)  and in an area of higher net wealth than the part of Kent where Sittingbourne is.

Eastbourne - leafy East Sussex and the London Commuter belt

Both £17 Adults + Poole £14 Concessions (65+) Eastbourne £15 (60+ Ladies 65 Men)

Both have various Student Concessions + other perks for specific Groups. 

It's the OAP's Len is screwing over...

2 OAPS at Poole £28.00 / 2 OAPS at Eastbourne £30.00 / 2 OAPS at Kent £38.00.

Scandalous Pricing by Len!

• Like 6

Glasgow scrubbed concessions for over 65’s which affected my pocket. I still go ‘cause I’m an ardent fan but lo and behold, the crowd levels have gone up. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HGould said:

Poole - next to Sandbanks (richest bit of real Estate in UK)  and in an area of higher net wealth than the part of Kent where Sittingbourne is.

Both £17 Adults + Poole £14 Concessions (65+) Eastbourne £15 (60+ Ladies 65 Men)

I have a suspicion that the curfew and start time might have something to do with it.  I know ( as everybody does) that the club wanted Saturdays

for Championship level speedway, but the Council turned them down twice.  Just thinking about the curfew and start time of 6.30, it happens to suit me as

an older person not going to work, but it must stop many younger people who commute to work from attending.  So far as I am aware, Kent is the only club#

in the country that has such a restriction.  It is scandalous that the Council act in this way. We should all bombard them with letters of complaint..

1 hour ago, ragdoll64 said:

Glasgow scrubbed concessions for over 65’s which affected my pocket. I still go ‘cause I’m an ardent fan but lo and behold, the crowd levels have gone up. 

Wouldn't think that there was an increase in OAP's though.:rolleyes:

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, HGould said:

As has been said before its right that pricing reductions should be aimed at the younger generation and not OAPs.. Kent are to expensive but the idea of charging OAP’s more isnt a bad one 

• Sad 3

On 2/6/2020 at 3:06 PM, therefused said:

£19!? Lens laughing all the way to the bank with that, what a pisstake. 

IMO Championship speedway should be no more than £15 to watch.

• Like 2