British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, East End Fan said:

But isn't vaccination the only way out of the Coronavirus horror ?  We cannot look at the future without looking at an end to what we have been going through.

And not just medically.  Financially we can only get back to normal when people can live normally.  How do we do that without a vaccine ?  So although there

is an argument for not wishing to take a jab, the arguments in the other direction are IMO overwhelming.  Maybe one of those suggesting that they would not

take the vaccine tell us how else do we get back to a normal life ?  And MY normal life includes a weekly dose of Speedway..at present totally absent.

I had a dose of speedway at Scunthorpe on sunday. It did me the world of good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

looking at the british final how will riders be decided. Assume Scotty is a shoe in, Starkey was flying until his injury in last years meeting will he get a spot. 

Have the bspa released a formula to decide competitors in this unprecedented season.

Will many top riders wish to ride in it with no other track time and no gp spot as a carrot? 

8 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

looking at the british final how will riders be decided. Assume Scotty is a shoe in, Starkey was flying until his injury in last years meeting will he get a spot. 

Have the bspa released a formula to decide competitors in this unprecedented season.

Will many top riders wish to ride in it with no other track time and no gp spot as a carrot? 

A good question. I would assume by top GSAs. However  most riders have two, PL and CL.

There are 17 Brits (inc Schlein) named in PL teams, including Ellis who might be riding in Poland (if fit). Of these Kemp, Ashley Morris and Rowe might lose out to the top riders named only in the CL namely Ritchie Worrall, Kennett and Auty.

In practice I suspect that one or two of these may simply decline the opportunity to race.

I do hope that plans are underway for a British under 21 & 19 champs as well.

Edited by arnieg

16 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

News of a British Final has passed me by.  Can anyone elaborate..when and where. Will public be allowed ?

1 hour ago, East End Fan said:

News of a British Final has passed me by.  Can anyone elaborate..when and where. Will public be allowed ?

Ipswich, 26 September and yes.

However if you go to Ippo website the latest news is from 31 July!

17 hours ago, arnieg said:

Ipswich, 26 September and yes.

However if you go to Ippo website the latest news is from 31 July!

Thank you for that.  Ipswich seems a strange choice,  why not Belle Vue, the "National" venue ?

Think because Ipswich has a bigger capacity and will allow a larger attendance with social distancing in place.

1 hour ago, East End Fan said:

Thank you for that.  Ipswich seems a strange choice,  why not Belle Vue, the "National" venue ?

As has been stated elsewhere, Ipswich has a much bigger outdoor seating area and it should also be noted that Greater Manchester  is currently a Covid hot-spot, where local authorities might not be happy to have a 'test event' on their door-step.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, crescent girl said:

As has been stated elsewhere, Ipswich has a much bigger outdoor seating area and it should also be noted that Greater Manchester  is currently a Covid hot-spot, where local authorities might not be happy to have a 'test event' on their door-step.

I believe they announced today, they have been signed off by the council to have limited crowds at NSS, which must be a positive step towards the SON being possible.

Belle Vue has lower capacity than Ipswich which has been significantly upgraded by Spedeworth in recent years.

Ipswich is in a low rate Covid area. Manchester is focal point for a significant regional lockdown, that's only now being slightly eased in some parts but increased in others in the general area.

The meeting is in approx 4 weeks time.

The decision has nothing to do with Speedway, tracks or favouritism etc. It's based on Covid 19 and common sense.

It seems to me to be a rare bit of lateral thinking. The most suitable venue in the safest area at this moment in time. 

More important to get the meeting on, get Europsort some coverage and some domestic top class Speedway.

Hopefully Belle Vue will be ready in 8 weeks time for SON. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, HGould said:

Belle Vue has lower capacity than Ipswich which has been significantly upgraded by Spedeworth in recent years.

Ipswich is in a low rate Covid area. Manchester is focal point for a significant regional lockdown, that's only now being slightly eased in some parts but increased in others in the general area.

The decision has nothing to do with Speedway, tracks or favouritism etc. It's based on Covid 19 and common sense.

It seems to me to be a rare bit of lateral thinking. The most suitable venue in the safest area at this moment in time. 

More important to get the meeting on, get Europsort some coverage and some domestic top class Speedway.

All this logical thinking is too much for me to take in all at one time !  I have never been to Ipswich so have no idea what the plavce is like.

Hi East End Fan, Foxhall Heath where Ipswich Race is in an area east of Ipswich Centre but as the second part of its name it is a large open grassland area

and you need to travel quite a way through this to get to stadium when driving from the main road.

When entering the stadium itself the track is at the bottom of a hollowed out area and so the sound of the Speedway bikes and Banger cars are contained

as much as possible so keeping the area fairly quiet for people walking nearby heath land.

On 8/29/2020 at 6:52 AM, HGould said:

Are you sure it is going to be on TV?

19 hours ago, scampispeedway said:

Hi East End Fan, Foxhall Heath where Ipswich Race is in an area east of Ipswich Centre but as the second part of its name it is a large open grassland area

and you need to travel quite a way through this to get to stadium when driving from the main road.

When entering the stadium itself the track is at the bottom of a hollowed out area and so the sound of the Speedway bikes and Banger cars are contained

as much as possible so keeping the area fairly quiet for people walking nearby heath land.

Thank you for that, I might even make my first trip there for the British Championship in September.  Must remember to wrap up warm !

21 hours ago, crescent girl said:

Are you sure it is going to be on TV?

Wouldn't it be part of the Eurosport contract? 

If not, then maybe therefore a chance to stream it around the country on a PPV basis?

Wouldn't charge more than a fiver though if they did..

The reason being is that one of the anomalies of having "no Speedway over here" this year is that I have never watched so much of it...!!:o

Poland, Sweden, SEC, GP Challenge and the GP's... 

Almost becoming too much Speedway..:D

Having to record so much I am not sure I will get round to watch it all..

Best Speedway watching season ever..;)

• Haha 1