British Speedway Forum

1 minute ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Morley is a good signing and certainly knows his way around Kent. Hurry will have his work cut out to reach race fitness but if he does the the point will come, just hope he doesnt get knocked around too much in a tougher league.

Agree really like Ben....great bloke and rides Central well.

I must say I am not keen on riders who comeback after a bad injury....just hope it goes well for Paul. 

30 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Morley is a good signing and certainly knows his way around Kent. Hurry will have his work cut out to reach race fitness but if he does the the point will come, just hope he doesnt get knocked around too much in a tougher league.

Hope he scores more than that to be fair..

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

33 minutes ago, blueherb777 said:

Agree really like Ben....great bloke and rides Central well.

I must say I am not keen on riders who comeback after a bad injury....just hope it goes well for Paul. 

I just hope as you say he doesn't have another bad injury, he seems to have had so many over the years. Great bloke and always good to watch at speedway and grass track.

Edited by gazzac

Presumably Hurry will resign from the ACU track racing committee?

3 hours ago, Najjer said:

I love that Len has introduced Hurry as a former under 21 champion :D

Part of the Youth Training programme alongside Bacon and Gilkes.   For me, as a Hammers fan of many many years, it will be like

welcoming back an old friend. He was always a favourite of mine. Always gives 100%.

12 hours ago, East End Fan said:

Part of the Youth Training programme alongside Bacon and Gilkes.   For me, as a Hammers fan of many many years, it will be like

welcoming back an old friend. He was always a favourite of mine. Always gives 100%.

At 28 bacon is stretching that. Although only Len could bring Paul Hurry into the side and still reduce the average age.

6 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

At 28 bacon is stretching that. Although only Len could bring Paul Hurry into the side and still reduce the average age.

With all the problems surrounding Brexit and the current travel restrictions which are likely to continue for a while, I think that to use

British riders was the right move. While I don't study team make ups normally, being a bit bored in lockdown, I saw the figures on this forum

which made interesting reading.  It looks like Eastbourne, who chose Brits for 2020, and able to keep them all under the new rules ( which I

have not had the chance to get to know and/or understand) have the strongest team in the league.  Almost everyone else, who had listed

foreigners originally (like Covatti at Kent) is now playing catch up.  No one's fault, just the extreme circumstances that have hit us.  For myself

I will not worry about winning or losing this year, just happy if I can see some action.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

For myself I will not worry about winning or losing this year, just happy if I can see some action.

Amen to that.
In fact, we should all be happy if the sport can see a way forward and not disappear altogether.

• Like 4

On 1/22/2021 at 9:09 AM, Sings4Speedway said:

On 1/22/2021 at 4:10 PM, False dawn said:

Amen to that.
In fact, we should all be happy if the sport can see a way forward and not disappear altogether.

Saw in today's Daily Star quite a long column devoted to Paul Hurry joining the Kings. Not important in itself except that it shows

that newspapers will print stuff about Speedway if it has a slant, and the slant in this case was the fact that Paul Hurry has been

a top international star, only hit by injuries but who is now determined to get back to his former position.

Maybe there are other Brits of ability (like Lewis Bridger ?) who might consider getting back on their bikes.  With the strong likelihood

of a lack of foreign talent this could be a very important issue and we should all give encouragement to such riders.

9 hours ago, East End Fan said:

Saw in today's Daily Star quite a long column devoted to Paul Hurry joining the Kings. Not important in itself except that it shows

that newspapers will print stuff about Speedway if it has a slant, and the slant in this case was the fact that Paul Hurry has been

a top international star, only hit by injuries but who is now determined to get back to his former position.

Maybe there are other Brits of ability (like Lewis Bridger ?) who might consider getting back on their bikes.  With the strong likelihood

of a lack of foreign talent this could be a very important issue and we should all give encouragement to such riders.

The Star will print stuff about speedway, other newspapers care little. 

As for Hurry i fully admire what he achieved over his career, his grass & longtrack record is excellent and was a sight to behold in full flight whilst making it all look very easy BUT the injuries he has accumulated over the years are nasty and the recovery from them incomplete. Whilst i feel greatly for any rider who has a career cut short or who is aiming to replicate the glory days i can ive encouragement to a venture where i fear that the rider health is at greater jeopardy than usual in an already dangerous sport.

Edited by Sings4Speedway
changed description.

9 hours ago, East End Fan said:

that newspapers will print stuff about Speedway if it has a slant........

Of course they will. You're right, if we're going to (forced to?) grow our own, we need to make the most of all and every story.
I think I understand the Polish restrictions on riders even if I don't like them. But have they said anything about one off appearances? What about a late season appearance by Woffy in an individual or pairs event? That would make a column inch or two, especially if he'd just won the World Championship.

I can dream.

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

The Star will print stuff about speedway, other newspapers care little. 

As for Hurry i fully admire what he achieved over his career, his grass & longtrack record is excellent and was a sight to behold in full flight whilst making it all look very easy BUT the injuries he has accumulated over the years are nasty and the recovery from them incomplete. Whilst i feel greatly for any rider who has a career cut short or who is aiming to replicate the glory days i can ive encouragement to a venture where i fear that the rider health is at greater jeopardy than usual in an already dangerous sport.

Of course the Daily Star will publish Speedway news if its newsworthy - their Speedway correspondent is Peter Oakes!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Of course the Daily Star will publish Speedway news if its newsworthy - their Speedway correspondent is Peter Oakes!!!

And Peter knows how to tell a story to get it into the paper. He was a top notch Fleet Street man at one time in his career.

• Like 1

I keep seeing references to rising stars on this forum.  Does anyone actually know what the rules will be on this subject ?

If it actually helps young Brits to succeed, I am all for it.  Neil Vatcher's Youth programme seems to have been a good plan

and I would have thought that this should have been enlarged maybe.  And thinking about it, some years ago it was planned

to encourage Moto-Cross riders to take up Speedway, but I have not heard anything in this direction for a very long time.

With travel restrictions likely to be in place all over Europe for many months to come, I cannot see how riders from Sweden

and Denmark, or anywhere else will be able to ride in Britain unless they live here permanently.